Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium vs large...retirement gift

DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
my Dad retired from work and we want to give him a BGE.  It's just him and my Mom.  Any opinion of med vs large?  He has a giant gasser that he currently uses 4-5 times per week.
i think that he would smoke briskets, butts and ribs with it.  I honestly don't know if he would do steaks, chops or burgers with it because of the gasser.  Who knows though.  
What do you guys think of a med vs large?

thanks,
Chester, MD

Comments

• Does he cook for guests? Or his kids who generously bought the greatest cooker ever? If so I'd recommend a large. But that's just me.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2016
    If he is a fan of brisket then that is an argument for a large if he wants to do a whole packer.  It is a tight fit sometimes on the large with a packer.  I can't imagine how I could fit it on anything smaller. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    As much as I like the medium, I'd say go with a large since briskets and ribs are part of the equation. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Also, does he enjoy extra toys like most of us?  Lots of cool accessories made for the Large that aren't available for the Medium.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Go with a large.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I'll throw in with the large crowd.  Accessories are in abundance and the cooking space is great cooking for two. @anton does some great rib and brisket cooks on his medium, but has to do a little MacGgyver type stuff to keep the protein on the grid. If your dad's retired, then a few extra minutes to come up to temp should not be a problem. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2016
    I have a large, minimax and mini and cook for 2 90% of the time. The minimax has become my frequently used grill. Cooking for 4 on it is not a problem either. Uses less lump and takes up a lot less room. The large gets used for briskets and turkeys these days.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @Diad - first up congrats to your dad for making a major life change.  And full props to you for suggesting such a great gift.  That said, I will also buy into the LBGE for all the above statements.  Go forth, do well and my best to your dad for figuring out that it is time to enjoy all he has worked for.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Large all the way.  And you are a great kid btw.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    For just the two of us the small egg is my usual goto. More than capable for the majority of cooks. If i have more mouths to feed I'm fortunate to have a large and mini to put into service.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Large!  My husband is retired, there are just the two of us.  Started out with a medium and immediately wished the first purchase had been a large.  The large gives you more flexibility with meat cooks, additional sides, desserts, etc.  

Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    I think you should buy him both. This way you won't have to decide
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I bought a medium first.... Couldn't do whole briskets or racks of ribs without cutting them... They're great for burgers and steaks ect.

If he EVER wants to do brisket or ribs without the hassle of cutting them.... LARGE 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I have a Medium and a Large, I love both, use the Medium more often than the large, but if I only had one Egg, it'd be a Large.  Add one more vote to for the Large.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If I had only one cooker, it would be an XL BGE.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I'll throw in with the large crowd.  Accessories are in abundance and the cooking space is great cooking for two. @anton does some great rib and brisket cooks on his medium, but has to do a little MacGgyver type stuff to keep the protein on the grid. If your dad's retired, then a few extra minutes to come up to temp should not be a problem. 
    Agreed, I inherited my medium, I would have bought a large given the chance.  Go large!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • maximus1
    maximus1 Posts: 38
    Large, you can always make it smaller, you cannot make the medium bigger
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    maximus1 said:
    One of the first lessons I learned way back when I was pulling cables. You can always trim a cable, can't stretch it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I have a medium Egg and a KJ Classic, which is equivalent to a large.  The medium is fuel efficient, and I use it a lot, but the "large" is more flexible. Recommend the large.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    As a medium owner...(only a few years younger than your folks not that that matters)....it is a great alignment with my MM. You really can't go wrong with a Lg or Med.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Almost 4 years ago I retired and gifted myself a large. Never even considered anything smaller. There were 3 of us but now our daughter has gone away to school. Buy him a large. I've got a gasser also. Have used it once in the past 2 years. Did I say to get him a large? Ya, get him a large...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Botch said:
    Also, does he enjoy extra toys like most of us?  Lots of cool accessories made for the Large that aren't available for the Medium.  

I had a medium and really liked it but ended up selling it and getting a large so I had access to more accessories and cooking space.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Large

Period
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Large - only problem I see in your expenditure is what you said "He has a giant gasser that he currently uses 4-5 times per week". How do you plan to wean him away from his gasser? Having an egg and using it are two different things for someone so accustomed to having that "kitchen stove sitting outside".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    DMW said:
    maximus1 said:
    One of the first lessons I learned way back when I was pulling cables. You can always trim a cable, can't stretch it.

DMW you don't have a cable stretcher? :) Mine is always broken and in the repair shop with the sky hook!!!!!! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer