Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a Hot Fire above 650

Options
I am a new owner of the Large Egg. I can not seem to get a good hot fire above 500-550 no matter how far my vents are open. I made sure I have cleaned the air holes and all required before starting. Can anyone give me some hints on what to do to get the fire hotter?
Thanks
Doug
Dmcak.

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Make sure you clean your egg out often. Take out the fire ring and fire box and get all of the ash out that collects between the fire box and the outer base. Proper airflow is essential when trying to push the egg +600. 

Also, using better lump can produce higher temps. A denser lump like wicked good Jakes blend can get much hotter than cheaper brands like cowboy. Also, when starting a high temp cook be sure to light the lump in several places. 

Finally if you're still having issues getting your temp up consider getting a high-que fire great. It greatly increases airflow though the egg. I love mine. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XU1FES/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1458428179&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=high+que+grate&dpPl=1&dpID=51BkbUxFOgL&ref=plSrch

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Remove the daisy wheel, don't just open it all the way. With the daisy wheel on the shelf and the bottom draft door open, you will go inferno. Just use the bottom draft to control the fire.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Be sure the opening in your fire box is lined up with your bottom vent. That helps maximize air flow. And of course the standard question pops up too - have you calibrated your dome thermometer? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmack
    dmack Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't know how to calibrate the Dome Thermometer
    Dmcak.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Boil some water. Remove the dome thermometer and put the probe in the water. If the thermometer reads around 212 then it's properly calibrated. 

(If you live in the mountains or anywhere far above sea level then find out the exact temp water boils at where you are and look for that temp)
  • dmack
    Options
    Ok thank you
    Dmcak.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Make sure you don't have an overabundance of smaller pieces of fuel...if you are loaded with smaller stuff airflow is impeded....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited March 2016
    Options
    dmack said:
    Ok thank you
    And if it doesn't register correctly take a wrench to the nut on the back and adjust it to read 212 while the probe is still inserted in the boiling water. And then when you return your thermometer leave that spring clip off...gravity will keep it in place plus keep it from going out of whack if you turn the dial.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmack
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I love this forum for new egg heads. 
    Dmcak.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Although you shouldn't have to, the last little trick is to open the screen on the bottom vent ... that is if it's safe to do so.  It's amazing how much airflow restriction the screen yields.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    Be careful about opening the vent screen if you have your egg set up on a deck though. You don't want sparks from the fire box to catch that deck on fire. No Bueno. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    With the bottom vent opened fully and the daisy wheel removed, the Egg should go to "split your own atoms" heat. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • dmack
    Options
    I did make sure the top vent cap was off and the bottom vent was all the way open. Even the screen was pushed back.
    Dmcak.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    And you still didn't reach 600 or more? 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    When the Egg is cool, pull all of the lump from the fire box and clean it. Make sure the the holes in the fire ring and fire grate are clear. Refill the lump and light. 

With the bottom vent open and daisy wheel removed, an Egg should go to ludicrous heat. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    Remove the daisy wheel, don't just open it all the way. With the daisy wheel on the shelf and the bottom draft door open, you will go inferno. Just use the bottom draft to control the fire.
    What he said

how much lump? Not the proverbial "handful" of lump was it?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• dmack
    Options
    No I filled it just below the fire box. I think I might of had to much small chunks. Had to be killing the air.
    Dmcak.
  • dmack
    Options
    And you still didn't reach 600 or more? 
    No I did not.
    Dmcak.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Very small lump pieces will make getting to temp hard - restricted air flow. Dump those fines and put in larger pieces. 
  • dmack
    Options
    Thanks everyone 
    Dmcak.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    dmack said:
    No I filled it just below the fire box.
    not enough lump
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]