Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New way for me to cut spatchcock

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
this knife is so much faster and easier than very good scissors used for many years. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey
    If I had your money, I would buy 10 of each ;)
    Nice knife buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Had the knife for a long time. Had two chickens and thought why not. Very much better way for me to cut the backbone. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'm like you - every time I try to use scissors I wonder why I didn't just grab a good knife. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Very much better way for me to cut the backbone. 
    When my hands are not bothering me, I will stand them vertical and cut the backbone out with a knife. When the hands are giving me fits, I use the scissors for safety.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If I didn't have poultry shears, I'd chose a chef knife over scissors.

I've never tried a clever though... wonder if that would work better or worse than a chef's knife.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    How hard is that on the edge?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I was wondering that myself
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Mickey
    Options
    Jury still out. 
    I have used to spatchcock turkey before and not noticed problem 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Little shun ken onion santoku there. I have the same knife and love it. Not made for cutting through bones but the ribs close to the spine should be ok 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    we are knife twins!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use my Wusthof bread knife. Serrated works great.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    I use my Wusthof bread knife. Serrated works great.
    Would not have thought to go there. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i always go with the biggest chef knife in the rack, its done in a few seconds. never understood the fascination with shears
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Options
    i always go with the biggest chef knife in the rack, its done in a few seconds. never understood the fascination with shears
    The way with most, was told years ago to get Messermeisters and cut away. The scissors are now retired for other tasks. Reason for posting is to catch others like myself. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    What no video clip of the ease of Spatch with the blade vs scissors?  I believe it would work on small/young poultry but, may be more Michael Myers looking work on a larger bird such as a turkey etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I use a hatchet to spatch a turkey.  Never have any issues, but always scheduled before any adult beverages get into the game.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    My Stihl makes short work of spatching chickens and turkeys.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @lousubcap & @HeavyG you're still talking about already dead, ready to cook poultry, right?
  • javabreath
    Options
    That knife is not made to break bones. You will chip up the edge. It's a decent knife don't abuse it. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I do the same with my Wusthof instead of shears......never liked having to clean shears.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options

I use the Bushido Wind Dragon for spatchcock. The Blood Reign is saved for vengeance on my enemies.

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have 3 pairs of shears. I only like the way one of them cuts when doing a spatchcock. It goes through the chicken pretty well. I always seem to pull the wrong one out of the drawer to start with and then get frustrated and find the right one. Don't know why I even keep the other 2 shears in the drawer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.