Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's pastrami will be much better.

i figured out what went wrong on Sunday. Plain and simple, I rushed it because we had to be somewhere. And barbecue is like a bulldog, you can't tell it what to do. If you try, it just sits down wherever it is and stops.

Todays cook will be outstanding.

Two 5 poundish briskets. They were both advertised as flats, but the front one is about 25% point, and the back one is about 50% point! I put some foil at the edges of the platesetter to help protect the roasts there. 

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Looking good. How long and with what did you brine, and did you desalinate?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    It's store bought, and I put it in water Sunday morning, changing the water Sunday night, Monday morning, and Monday night.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Thanks. My wife is skeptical of my corned beef.... I think she is going to buy some store bought in case mine stinks!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mosca
    edited March 2016
    It's been over a 250 fire for 10 hours now, the roasts are at about 160. Patience is required right now.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Pastrami is one of my favorite cooks.  You cannot rush any step of it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Pastrami and bacon are two cooks I haven't tackled yet. Thanks for the inspiration. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mosca
    edited March 2016
    Sheesh, 13 hours and still only 190, and not tender enough to pull. I gotta start doing these suckers at 275 instead of 250. And if I can't start them before 7AM, then they have to go on at midnight.
  • Mosca
    edited March 2016
    I took one of the roasts to work today. A co-worker brought some home made rye bread.

This is quite possibly one of the best things I have ever made. Ever. I only have my phone to take photos, I'll have to futz around a bit to upload a couple.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    nothing better than a nice crusted pastrami. Excellent cook!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    a week or two after st pats day they go on sale, i stock up when they go on sale
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Congrats!  That looks perfect!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited March 2016
    Looks incredibly tasty.

I have smoked pastrami just like a brisket, pulling it when it probes like butter. I have also pulled it after 6 hours or so and steamed it in the oven in a closed container. After refrigerating and slicing I honestly can't tell the difference between the two. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    5lb and you were still going at 13 hours..... Makes me want to start mine tonight instead of tomorrow....  I have a 2lb flat and a 4.5lb point... Suggestions?  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I'm putting one on bright and early Saturday. Yours looks great, @Mosca
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mosca
    edited March 2016
    5lb and you were still going at 13 hours..... Makes me want to start mine tonight instead of tomorrow....  I have a 2lb flat and a 4.5lb point... Suggestions?  
    I started at 240*, then bumped it to 250*, then to 275*, 295*... by 1AM I was bleary eyed and 325*. Doing it over again, I'd just start that sucker off at 275*.

I had my pit probe near the hot spot. If I'd had it at the other end, who knows?

And every piece of meat is different. One of those was done at 12:30AM or so, the other at 1:15AMish.

But yeah, I think I'm starting briskets at midnight from now on.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    You can pull at 180 then steam to finish too great when making for the next day.