Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seeking jerky marinade recipies

Options
Powderhound
Powderhound Posts: 139
Looking to smoke some beef jerky this weekend.  What are your favorites marinade recipes you'd like to share? 
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited March 2016
    Options

Me too, subscribe.

Edit: and techniques.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used to do Jerky a lot, gotta get back on that.  I posted this a while back. Here's my technique...

About 3 1/2 lbs. of Top Round sliced at 1/4". Ended up with about 1 1/2 lbs. after shrinkage. I used the DigiQ set to 165. Worked great. Marinated for about a day. Started taking jerky off the top rack after about 3 hours. Stuff on the bottom took a total of 6 hours. Next time I'll rotate the racks throughout the cook as it's is hotter at the top. Overall it turned out really good.

Jerky marinade:
    1/4 C sugar
    3 T Tender Quick
    1/4 C honey
    1/8 C Country Bob's sauce
    1/2 T garlic powder
    2 T Texas BBQ Rub
    1/4 t hot chipotle powder
    1 C water
    1/8 C kosher salt
    ry3D315

ry3D400

ry3D400
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    if you have troubles with temps under 175 f, try the mound method mentioned here. this is a good recipe as well

Jerky, Beef, River City, Gfw

Philosophy: Experiment... Measure Nothing... Season until it tastes good!

INGREDIENTS:
    3-5 lb beef brisket sliced thin (1/8" or so) with the grain
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    3/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Dark Molasses
    1 tsp Onion Powder (or to taste)
    1 tsp Garlic Powder (or to taste - don't use fresh garlic - it will make the jerky bitter)
    1 tsp Black Pepper (or to taste)
    Dried Chilies Arbol chilies are my personal choice - cayenne are OK - avoid hot sauce because of the vinegar

Directions:
    1 Marinade the beef (3-5 lbs sliced thin) at least 1 hour. I typically do it (12 hours) overnight.
    2 Smoke over low heat (dome temperature 160 to 180 degrees) until desired texture. It may take 12 or more hours. Turn it every couple of hours.
    3 The strips of beef are placed on the grill to create the mound - the grill is preheated to 160-180 using firebricks and drip pan - I let the mound cook for about 1¼ hours and flip the whole thing using a 2nd grid - then it cooks for another hour - after 2¼ hours I'll take it off the grill and start to separate all the pieces from the mound - as the day progresses, I'll use a pair of tongs to turn the jerky about every hour and make sure that all the pieces get rotated.
    4 A lot of work for something that doesn't last very long -- not because it won't keep, but it tastes so good! Try the marinade recipes on the following page as well.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    What is the ideal temp?  I know some on here do a cold smoke using two eggs and a flexible dryer vent.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    stompbox said:
    What is the ideal temp?  I know some on here do a cold smoke using two eggs and a flexible dryer vent.
    i just use 1 egg, used small pieces of used lump to help clog the holes, and no more than 2 inches deep. shooting for 145 and not worried if dome gets to 175. keep the lid closed as opening it quickly increases the fire. when it starts to look good take a piece out and let it cool before trying it, its hard to judge when its hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it