Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aftermarket MiniMax guts advise needed.

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
So I am going to pull the trigger on a MiniMax. I love my large, but it needs a sidekick. Getting it at the end of the month. Gonna get a Rutland from RRP, and will replace the gasket as soon as I get the egg and before the first cook. 

Asking for input from those who have the MM and first hand experience with this egg. 
What do I want inside it?  I am seriously considering a kick ash basket, as it will allow me to dump the lump and therefor cool quicker if I travel some with it (I am not a camper). What about a plate setter?  Or is there something better?  Anything else you would recommend?  I want to get the parts ASAP so they are here and ready before the egg arrives. 

Thanks in advance!  
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    One stop toy store for the Mini Max...Ha...Ha...

take a look at the Woo Ring.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg/minimax-accessories/

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    As one who takes the mini to various state parks for picnics and who now has the mini-max with the kick ash basket--do get the kick ash basket.  Primarily because of the kick ash basket and how much easier it is too travel with it for picnics. the mini-max has become our portable egg for trips  Being able to lift the charcoal out of the egg allows the egg to cool faster.  The kick ash basket also allows you to use water to extinguish the charcoal quickly and safely.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    ^^^..(KAB is nice)..plus the 10"/12" stones and placesetter for me. I've come to the conclusion that anything else in terms of placing things where you want them in the stack can be accomplished with home-fabbed spacers/supports.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Bought the woo stone drip pan combo before I ever pick up my MM. Have hique grate so can't speak for KAB. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Options
    WOO w/ deflector stone (PS... I also use the OE PS and pizza stone for baking). KAB. Mod for new kicks which gives a little lift and better stability. Custom handle &/or custom carrier nest handles. Pimp it to your tastes. Enjoy.  It's a strong companion to the LG or all by its lonesome. :cheers:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Grill Grates has a new Mini Mas size. Great for a sear station. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    the new stock gaskets are great. I did the same thing you did 2 years ago when I bought my 2nd large. called Ron and got a gasket ordered up. That gasket is still in the bag it came in. My stock gasket is still in great shape and shows no sign of wearing out any time soon. It's night and day compared to the old felt gaskets.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I just bought the woo and plate fer my MM!  I have a new plate setter in the box for sale so if you plan on buying one, don't!  I'll make ya a good deal!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Forgot to add. CI grid also. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping me spend my money. I knew I could count on you.

Sounds like the KAB is definitely the right choice. @Handcyclist confirmed that my hypothesis is correct and it sounds like he uses it just as I would.

@Eggzellent you have a 10" and 12" stone?  I can only think you have have that for making pizza/cookies/baking on it. Please correct me if I am incorrect.  If I do any of that, I will do it on my large.  But I know I need to have a way to do indirect. I am thinking the woo is the way to go with the MM, so I am assuming the 10" stone?

Is the woo/pan/stone that much better than the platesetter/pan combo? I am 100% happy with my platesetter in my large. But I know a MM is not a large, and therefore asking.

Large and MiniMax

• NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Sea2Ski I was one of the first to get the MM before they really started showing up in numbers. My first deflector for the WOO is actually a PS with the legs 86ed. When I bought my MM the WOO had not yet been released. I now have the WOO w/ deflector and PS w/ a pizza stone. Yes, there is a difference. I think there is a diff when baking with the PS and pizza stone vs WOO, deflector & pizza stone. Thus I've opted to keep both. Everyone is different. I use my MM a LOT! At home, on the road, beach, river, etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think there is a diff when baking with the PS and pizza stone vs WOO, deflector & pizza stone. 
    I can only hope that MM owners get in to those differences more in detail over time. It's such a small space that I'm of the opinion (also) that even little changes make an oversized impact in this Egg.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Sea2Ski ...  Pssss ... check Handcyclist's signature line.  I thought that that the individual owned a grandma ... then I realized that she is a grandma. So it's "she" uses a KAB.  Cheers mate.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The only thing I have upgraded on my MM is getting a KAB. I love it. I will get a cast iron grilling grate when I wear out the stock grate. I use the PS and have had zero issues. It has quickly become my favorite BGE.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @Sea2Ski ...  Pssss ... check Handcyclist's signature line.  I thought that that the individual owned a grandma ... then I realized that she is a grandma. So it's "she" uses a KAB.  Cheers mate.
    Great catch!  Never would have caught that as 99% of the time I am on this forum while on the phone. Unfortunately,  signature lines do not show on my phone. Thanks for the heads-up and correct.

Sorry @Handcyclist

Decision made - KAB, woo and stone.  ... for now.
    Thanks everyone!
    Large and MiniMax