Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs not cooked

Options
Yesterday I did some spare ribs on the egg.  I did the 3-2 method, cooked them for 5 hours and they came out very uncooked.  I had to put them in the over for another hour.  Anyone know why this would happen.  My egg temp. was between 225 and 250

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    So you did 3 hours of smoke?  What did you do for the last 2 hours?  I like either 4 to 4.5 hours at 275 or a 2-1-1 at 225-250.  Two hours of smoke, 1 hour in foil; with brown sugar, honey, squeeze butter and apple juice and last hour back out of foil on the grill with glazing in the last 30 minutes.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    You cooked to baby back times. Spares take longer

i find two hours in foil a bit too much to our liking. I rarely foil any more, but for baby backs the standard recipe is 3-1-1. And that can be underdone too

for spares i go six, seven, even eight hours at 225-350. Been turno'ing them lately. 325 or so for a few hours

too many variables to tell you sepcifically. Yours isn't an unusual time. Only five hours? Normal even if it needed another hour
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thermo calibrated?...But at the end of the day, the cook is done when it is done.  Time is only a guide.  I go with the tooth-pick test for the finish-line indicator.  And spares in the 6-7 hour range is certainly not unusual.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The average I use for spares at 250, no lower, is 6 hours. Typically, I check at 4.5 - 5 hours to see how tender they are. If still tough, I bump the temp to the 275 - 300 range.

I've been doing more "turbo" recently, and it seems to me that the ribs do need mopping when up to or above 300. Don't know if the faster cook is worth the extra work.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @gdenby ... in your experience, does the fat render out more with the 250* temp or the 350* temp?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I go 6 straight hours with smoking at 225. No foil, no mess.

Ribs are juicy, great bark, pull away clean tender. Fat rendered perfectly.

I go for 5.5 hrs and then sauce for the last 30. I'm ok if they're a little overcooked, so I don't sweat a little extra time.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE