Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Italian Pizza Fatty

Options
I was feeling a little creative and decided to try something new.  It is a pork fatty that I have called an Italian Pizza Fatty.  This cook was completed on two kamados.  One was set up for low and slow using white oak for smoking.  Set it up for 250 degrees and figured that the white oak would give it a traditional stone oven wood flavour.  

Started out with some sausage that I peeled and mixed in with some green olives.  Rolled it out and added pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms and hot peppers.  Then I rolled it all up.

The it was time for some bacon and I made a weave.  I rolled the fatty on an angle as I think that it looks nicer.

Seasoned it with Lanes BBQ rub

I placed it on a low and slow cook for 5 hours.  While this was smoking, I heated up my second Kamado and let it heat soak for the final step of this fatty.  I let the baking stone heat up to 550 degrees for a few hours.  

Pulled the fatty off the grill and was surprised just how juicy it was!!  Looks good so far....

now for my twist.....

I thought what kind of pizza would this be without dough, so I decided to enclose the fatty with pizza dough making it essentially a calzone.

I baked it at 550 degrees for approx. 8 minutes 

then I brought it into the house and let it cool for a bit.  It smells great and the dough is nice and crispy at this point

sliced into it and you can see that it is really juicy still.  Likely due to the pork sausage

anyways thanks for looking

Comments