Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt timing

Options
I did a 10# butt this weekend.  Since lurking here for quite awhile.  It seems as if quite a few Eggers have become converts to this method.  Seems to work the best overall.  My question is one of temp. Everything I read suggests that 45 minutes to an hour per pound is a reasonable time frame.  I chose this method because I wanted to Pickle ball in the afternoon.  Then I thought there was no way it would be done in time.  Boy was I wrong.  I dialed it in to 350 and put 4 nice pieces of hickory on for smoke.  Put the butt on @ 9:30 am.  During the cook I pushed it to a little over 400.  By 2:30 it was 200 degrees.  I foiled it and put it on the cutting board and,draped a towel over it while I went for pickle ball.  Came home, pulled it.  The bark was wonderful, crunchy and very tasty.  My wife had made Louisiana hot coleslaw.......,maybe the best BBQ we have ever made.....I can't imagine why turbo isn't the best choice for method of butt cooking! Is 
erring it range a little troublesome or no big deal?
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't done turbo yet- but I have to ask...what is Pickle Ball?
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Turbo Rules in the Egg. Try this on next cook:
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    Pickle ball is the fastest growing sport in the U.S. It is a combination of ping pong, tennis, and badminton played on a badminton-sized court with a 36" tall net. Ping 
    pong style paddle.  Very fast moving game and much easier on old legs.  Becoming extremely attractive for retired folks....that would be my wife & I.....lol!  There are many many many more believe e......
    Berlin, Maryland
  • rsterman
    Options
    Thanks Mickey .......I'll be doing that for sure.......where can you get Bad Byrons's Butt rub?  Is there a place to buy several rubs over the net to get a good starter choice of rubs sent to me?.....I've heard of Swamp Venom, butt have never purchased any commercial offerings.....maybe now is the time! Thanks again
    Berlin, Maryland
  • rsterman
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Turbo Rules in the Egg. Try this on next cook:
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Do you use a rack or just put the ribs on membrane side down, "leave them the hell alone" for the hour & 40 minutes?
    Berlin, Maryland
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are many online sources for rubs and all thing BBQ. I've used http://www.firecraft.com/ with good experiences.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Try a jar of Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce too. It is awesome on pulled pork.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    rsterman said:
    Thanks Mickey .......I'll be doing that for sure.......where can you get Bad Byrons's Butt rub?  Is there a place to buy several rubs over the net to get a good starter choice of rubs sent to me?.....I've heard of Swamp Venom, butt have never purchased any commercial offerings.....maybe now is the time! Thanks again
    Hey you can get the large size Byrons at Academy Sports for $14.99. Best deal I have seen anywhere. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Was a "lo and slo" guy. Did a butt "turbo" style. Same flavor, same juiciness.  Bark is not as tough...which is good...Neither of us like the bark. I now use a Reverse Flow for most of my smoking. It will not run, efficiently, at anything under 275* on the thermometer. Thermometer is about an inch above the grate. Put a ThermoWorks probe on the grate...it is actually 325*. Ribs are fantastic off of it at this temperature. I am extremely curious to try them at this temperature on an Egg.