Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need pizza advice - transfering pizza from counter to hot BGE

Options
I've only tried pizza twice but this is why - I can't seem to properly transfer the uncooked pizza from the prep surface (counter) to the hot egg / stone (Baking Steel).  I use a standard aluminum pizza peel.  I think I tried using flower on the surface once and another time corn meal.  But the pizza does not transfer well from the counter to the stone.  It is not pretty.  Especially the time I tried to use the "yank the peel out quickly method"!  :o  Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Build your pizza on parchment paper, put it on the grill for a minute, pull the parchment out. It'll come out without sticking.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I have only cooked one pizza and had the same issue.  Made a real mess.  I have since read that some prep their pizza on parchment paper.  Slide it onto the peel to take to the egg.  Then slide pizza with parchment paper still under it, onto the stone.  As soon as the crust begins to harden, remove the paper.  Sounds like this may work.  Hopefully some of the pizza experts will check in soon and give a definitive answer.  I need to know also.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• NavyMatty
    Options
    I've never tried the parchment paper trick, but a lot of folks here swear by it...  I use a wooden peel to put the pies on and a metal one to take them out.  I use a light sprinkle of cornmeal on the wood before I put the dough on it.  It works like ball bearings.  I don't notice any flavor from the cornmeal but others here do.  After i put the dough on the peel (before any sauce or cheese or toppings go on) I make sure I can "float" it--the dough moves freely when I shake the peel.  If it doesn't float--use a little more cornmeal or a little more a rapid "jerk" with the peel.  I do the "float" once again in the house before I go out to the egg--and then again right before I open the dome.  Good luck.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    FarmerTom is right.  I've done a lot of pies using parchment paper.  Grab the edge of the paper to help slide it onto the peel from the counter, and the reverse to the grill.  Welding gloves help me a lot for the second part.  I pull the paper, using something the hold the pie still, after a couple minutes.  I try to cook on a 500 degree stone, and I think my pies take about 4-5 minutes total.  I haven't actually done it for a couple years.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I never had an issue using a typical wooden pizza peel with corn meal. Have the dough near the end of the peel when making the pizza. Tilt the peel on the pizza stone and give it a quick shake or two so that the pizza dough comes off peel and onto the stone. Start pulling back and pushing the peel while shaking. The pizza will then slide of further with each shake.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mikee
    Just wanted to say hello brother. And I still want that pizza dough recipe when time allows ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    The method that works for me is to put the formed dough on parchment paper BEFORE adding any sauce or toppings
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Use a pizza screen. Build your pizza on it and put it right on your stone and cook the pizza on it. Nice and simple. http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-PS-14-Pizza-Screen/dp/B0029SXJAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456703213&sr=8-1&keywords=Pizza+mesh
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    As said above, a wood peel for making and transferring the pie is a plus. The metal peel is best for removal. Lots of people have one of each. Of course, the parchment works too. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    You have to be decisive. A quick "J move" with the wrist will do the trick. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Mikee
    Just wanted to say hello brother. And I still want that pizza dough recipe when time allows ;)

I'll put you on the waiting list.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Parchment works great, but isn't rated for the temp you should be cooking pizzas at.

This is what I do.  Sprinkle peel liberally with Semolina Flour (works like ball bearings and won't add that gritty cornmeal texture).  Build pie on the peel, wiggle the peel after each step to make sure it's sliding well.  Once pie is built, line up back edge of stone with back edge of pie and give a sharp wrist movement.  It took a few pies to get good at this, but I have not messed one up since the learning curve.

Most pizza dough recipes make about 6 pies.  Make a bunch of cheese only while you practice in case you mess them up.  You'll get it.

Phoenix 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Make the pizza in a cast iron skillet. Cook the pizza in said skillet. Enjoy.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• timmyd18
    Options
    A wooden peal and corn meal do the trick for me 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Put me in the parchment camp, though I admit I haven't tried semolina. I didn't care for the cornmeal and flour because it can impact the crust. As a relative pizza novice compared to many of the pros on here, I don't see any drawbacks for parchment as long as you trim the excess after you've topped the pizza. It might not be rated for food at that temp, but it hasn't caused any issues, only worry free pizza cooks, for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Seminola Flour on the surface of the prep table and also dust the peel. That's it. I used to use parchment for pizza. No need and the crust is much better IMHO. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I like a combo of AP and a pinch or two of Semolina on a wooden peel.

The key is to work quickly when opening your dough.  Have your ingredients mis en place.  

Open dough, place on dusted peel.  Shake.  Sauce.  Shake.  Cheese.  Shake.  Put one topping on.  Shake.  Put another on.  Shake.  Right before launch, shake.   

Another recommendation, and quite honestly, an area I struggle, is to top your pie lightly.  The added weight will work against you as you learn the technique.  

Within 10 minutes you should go from doughball to launch.  I've shaved it down to 5.  If it sits, it sticks. 

Parchment, screens, and skillets are for pansies. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Pizza peel with thin layer of bench flour always works for me.  Also shake the peel during the time youre dressing the pie.  Make sure it moves freely.  The flour is like tiny ball bearings that helps the pie slide.  I dont use cornmeal because it doesnt work at the temps i cook pizzas at.   
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Build pizza on the peel, semolina first, or parchment paper, both work.  Be sure to have a clear path back in the house when the pie comes off.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I use a wooden peel to put za on and a metal one to rotate and take za off pizza stone
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Build your pizza on parchment paper, put it on the grill for a minute, pull the parchment out. It'll come out without sticking.
    Only parchment paper we have seen locally is only 12" wide so....we use a screen...seems some folks on this site have a SERIOUS issue with this...
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Parchment is my choice. Less mess and you make make multiple pizzas and have them ready to go. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Lit said:
    Use a pizza screen. Build your pizza on it and put it right on your stone and cook the pizza on it. Nice and simple. http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-PS-14-Pizza-Screen/dp/B0029SXJAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456703213&sr=8-1&keywords=Pizza+mesh
    I have not idea why I didn't think of this.  My buddy owns 5 pizza shops and a few of these have wound up in my house over the years.  I already have a few!  I guess I might question whether there would be some cooking / crust difference compared to cooking directly on the stone or steel.  But it is definitely an option and something to try!

Gonna try the parchment paper trick first though.  Or maybe one of each when I do pizzas tomorrow.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

blasting said:
    .......   Build pie on the peel, wiggle the peel after each step to make sure it's sliding well.  Once pie is built, ..........

The problem with building your pie on the peel is that if you are making more than one pie, you need more than one peel.  If I'm making 4 pies for the family, I can't wait for the peel to be done removing the first pie from the egg before I begin even building the second pie.  That would take forever.  I guess it works with one pie.  Or multiple peels.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Prep in a wooden peel with a light dusting of cornmeal. 

Problem solved
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Make sure you get that parchment paper out! I misread that step on my first pizza and the parchment paper caught on fire.  Nothing like pizza that tastes like burnt paper.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Prep in a wooden peel with a light dusting of cornmeal. 

Problem solved
    Prep "on", not "in" 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    https://youtu.be/jHQk9xy3_fA

This is a video I made a few years ago of making pizza on the egg.

Gerhard
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    You made that look mighty easy gerhardk.  Thanks!!!!!  What is your build method?  What do you use between parchment and pizza?  Flour, corn meal, semolina?  Do you "shake" it regularly to prevent sticking?   Thanks

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

blasting said:
    .......   Build pie on the peel, wiggle the peel after each step to make sure it's sliding well.  Once pie is built, ..........

The problem with building your pie on the peel is that if you are making more than one pie, you need more than one peel.  If I'm making 4 pies for the family, I can't wait for the peel to be done removing the first pie from the egg before I begin even building the second pie.  That would take forever.  I guess it works with one pie.  Or multiple peels.

I put the pie on and build the next.  I always make 6 pies.  With the dough balls and all ingredients ready, it doesn't take 5 minutes to build the next pie.  I pull the finished pie off with tongs onto a cutting board, then put the next pie on with the peel.  
    Phoenix