Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon stuffed with shrimp & crawfish. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
This was a test run for one of the dishes that I plan on cooking at Butt Blast. As the title says, it's salmon stuffed with rice, shrimp and crawfish tails. A crude variant of the stuffing I use for chickens. I have to say, this was simply outstanding. It passed the SGH taste test so this is now one of the dishes on the menu at Butt Blast. Thanks for looking. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks outstanding Scottie!  I'll be in line for that brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Thanks man. Seeing how you are one of my favorites, there will be no standing in line for you. You will have a reserved front row seat by Unit #9 my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Thanks man. Seeing how you are one of my favorites, there will be no standing in line for you. You will have a reserved front row seat by Unit #9 my friend. 
    Looking forward to to it brother!  Front row seat for #9, ecstatic.  Butt Blast will be fun my friend.  Looking forward to breaking bread!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Daaaaymn!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    yes sir where is butt blast and when I might come to eat that
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks doggone good bud. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    yes sir where is butt blast and when I might come to eat that
    Here is the latest link with all the info on Butt Blast. That I know of, anyone who won't to attend can my friend. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191094/butt-blast-website-registration#latest

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Looks doggone good bud. 
    Like a hippy at Woodstock ;) And thank you brother Husker. 

Status- Standing by.

• jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    @SGH- great job, looks very tasty. 

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Like a hippy at Woodstock

Ah, the good old days. Most folks won't know what you're talking about, lol. Good thing is I do. Food looks fantastic.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wow- looks awesome.  I looks like the stuffing was all pre cooked correct? My kids love salmon and think this would be a good addition to the rotation.  Thanks for sharing. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    That looks so good, outstanding job!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @SGH please tell more about how you make the stuffing?  Looks like a dirty rice recipe.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @Wolfpack @JethroVA
    Fellows this stuffing here was a trial run or test if you will. It's a variant of a seafood stuffing that I use for deboned chickens. However the difference with this one is the rice is fried in olive oil instead of boiled. I have made tons of fried rice before but never tried it as a stuffing. Always used boiled. I have to say that this went very well with the salmon. 
    I simply lightly fried the rice in olive oil until tender. I then stired in the shrimp and crawfish tails and let them fry for 30 seconds. Normal I keep them raw as they cook very fast. However the 30 seconds in the rice and oil did not cause them to overcook on the egg. All in all it turned out real good I though. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @SGH please tell more about how you make the stuffing?  Looks like a dirty rice recipe.
    Jethro, I actually have 3 versions of the seafood stuffing. I intend on doing a "how to" post on them in the near future. A step by step if you will. 

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Salmon, shrimp, and crawfish = the perfect trifecta. 

Out of the park, @SGH
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Damn Scottie, that looks great! We will be looking forward to seeing you at Butt Blast, it won't be long now...47 more days. Also we are going to New Orleans the weekend before Butt Blast if your home we might stop by for a few minuets.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    how did you stuff the salmon, is that just a shallow pocket cut in the top?  Looks fantastic, I will have to try this.

for the rice, you just sautéed uncooked rice in olive oil until tender?  About how long does that take?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Of course. Nothing less expected from your posts. Always killer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    @Legume
    I simply cut a very shallow "V" down the center of the fish to give the stuffing something to get a foot hold in. 
    As to the rice, depending on your oil temp, it will be around 6-14 minutes. A note on the text: If your oil is 212 or higher, it should never take more than 14 minutes. Never. The rice will become mushy instead of soft. And you don't want that my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very very nice. Look forward to trying that at Butt Blast!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"