Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my moldy green prosciutto

Options
was getting the white mold, no problems with that, whats best to wash the geen/blue stuff off that will keep it away, vinegar or heavey salt brine
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Never got mold blue or green  only white. Can't skim off when slicing?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    Never got mold blue or green  only white. Can't skim off when slicing?

easy enough to cut around it but would be difficult to get some to eat it if they saw it. =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Are you keeping it wrapped in the fridge when you're not cutting on it?
    Options
    Are you keeping it wrapped in the fridge when you're not cutting on it?
    lowest shelf in the fridge, still in cryo pack with syran wrap over cut side, cryo folded over that, stuffed back into the foil bag. its forming mostly over the fresh cut fat section.
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I would scrub it off with water.  Rinse the whole thing well and change the wrapping.  The spores will be everywhere.  Maybe hit with a little vinegar after rinsing.

You can buy a food safe mold inhibitor like Calcium Propionate on Amazon.  I don't know of anything laying around the house that would work - molds will grow on acidic and saline surfaces.

edited February 2016
    Options
    wash it off and eat it.  grow a pair.  i thought you were from New England?

it does not need to go in the fridge, but that's ok. but take the plastic wrap off it either way.  it traps the internal moisture against the plastic.  so, you get mold.  the exterior has already dried and formed a rind, so that surface might be too dry for mold.  but when you cut it, you are exposing internal flesh.  that still has a higher moisture content.

better to leave it unprotected.  this will dry it too though.  which is why most single guys don't normally buy an entire leg of prosciutto for themselves :)

the only problem with buying a leg of prosciutto is that you need to eat it in a reasonable period of time.  because otherwise it will dry out where cut.  you can lop that dried part off and use it in soups of course. 

keep it in the fridge if you feel you must.  probably pretty dry in your house now in the winter too.  just keep the plastic off it.  i tried wax paper, a little olive oil, but that didn't do me any food either (dry aging, exposed cut end)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Mold grows slower when it's cold.  Fishlessman is just following the instructions (recommendations) that came with it.  Don't cut the skin until you need to cut that part of the meat, cover it, refrigerate.  Says you don't need to refrigerate until you open it.  I got two of those same legs.
    Options
    and that was my mistake, directions =)  wonder since mine came in at 15 pounds and seemed more moist to me from the sliced stuff ive bought that the extra moisture could be the culprit added by the covering. any ways its getting the vinegar wipe and maybe cut into three with two vacuum packed. darby, i havent turned the furnace on this winter, the coal stove has the house so dry that all the doors are working again =) would lemon do the same thing as vinegar in this situation
    fukahwee maine

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i know.  just saying, you don't need to refrigerate it.

lot of people leave it out on the/a stand
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    i do understand it doesnt need refrigeration but the dog wouldnt understand and would take bites out of it =)
    fukahwee maine

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    just lose the plastic wrap over the cut end.

and keep the dog off the counter or the prosciutto off the floor

might be better to put the prosciutto into a large ziploc bag.  so the moisture loss is limited, but the end of the meat isn't covered tightly with plastic.  but the mold can be washed off.  USDA even says so.

i think the old italian way was to wash with vinegar or white wine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    This was likely a common problem in Europe a hundred years ago.
    "Red meat's not bad for you. Blue-green meat?  Now that's bad for you". Tommy Smothers
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Very old meat or very new cheese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT3BdhTyVXs

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut