Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Acid egg rain - how to prevent?

Options
Sometimes when cooking large cuts of meat (pork butt on now) I'll find black pools of drippings on the meat that comes from the dome of the egg. I can only imagine it tastes nasty (I usuaLly cut it out of the meat when I see it). He do I prevent this? I am pretty diligent about scraping the dome with a foil ball every few cooks so that the stuff doesn't flake onto the food. Help?

Comments

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I haven't noticed it on the egg but when I use my big gas cooker grease will drip down from the chimneys on both the outside and inside,   I wowouldn't worry with it.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Time for a clean burn???
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Is your daisy wheel nasty/caked in gunk?  Maybe it needs cleaned.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    edited February 2016
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Time for a clean burn???
    Can't do it. Base is cracked and I bought used ($300 3-4 years ago for egg, table, accessories etc. I couldn't pass it up, was not cracked when I bought it). But, I don't think that's the issue. It's not caked with oil/fat/grease like some eggs I've seen. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Provide a pic of said pooling & the dome in question please. Mine has been to the point of large flakes raining down before hitting it with balled up foil but, never black pools. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • busmania
    Options
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You probably don't keep your daisy wheel in the egg after you use it. Or maybe are using an aftermarket cap that you don't keep in the egg 

that's what is dripping, not the dome. The drips on the domewouls run down the inside

keep the daisy in the egg after the cook and any residual fat will render off. It won't drip the next time
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• busmania
    Options
    I think you are right. I think it may be daisy dripping. I'll blast it with the weed torch and clean it up. I hate keeping the cap around (don't know where it is) and usually just snuff the fire with the daisy wheel. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That's the problem then

you will never have to clean it again or refurbish the seasoning if you just store it in the BGE

i keep the ceramic cap on it, set it to the side when using the egg with the daisy, and replace it when done (putting the daisy inside as it cools).  Basically, the daisy gets cleaned and re-seasoned with each cook
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• EggPerfection
    Options
    It's surely the daisy wheel.  It's worth taking it apart and really giving it a good clean.  I had the same issue and so my father in law and I invented this cap for long cooks in dubious weather: www.perfectbbqtek.com
    Best - Jack
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Good grief.  That cap won't degunk the daisy wheel or keep it clean.  It's for rain.
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    I think he meant the daisy wheel being inside the cooling egg would help keep it clean.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Legume is talking about the post above him, re the aftermarket cap

• busmania
    Options
    I have a smokewear cap but quit using it due to the inability to fine tune temps (old version). 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,049
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Legume is talking about the post above him, re the aftermarket cap
    Yep, he was talking about @EggPerfection who only comes on the forum to hawk his rain cap.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The heck with that. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and for $6 get one of these. Works perfect and fits over the daisy wheel (of my XL) perfectly!

Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • busmania
    Options
    Yeah, the rain cap is 100% irrelevant to this discussion. My patio is covered so I don't need (or want) that. Back on topic. 
  • A5firearms
    Options
    I agree with others that it is the daisy wheel.
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    busmania said:
    Sometimes when cooking large cuts of meat (pork butt on now) I'll find black pools of drippings on the meat that comes from the dome of the egg. I can only imagine it tastes nasty (I usuaLly cut it out of the meat when I see it). He do I prevent this? I am pretty diligent about scraping the dome with a foil ball every few cooks so that the stuff doesn't flake onto the food. Help?
    Great post
    im having the same problem with that gunk running down the side of my egg,I'm sure it's been dropping on my food and I haven't noticed.when I first got my egg I left the daisy wheel inside my egg but it began to rust as per the high humidity where I live.now I leave the daisy wheel inside my garage after every cook."no rust"
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @busmania   I have no idea where you live however I am going to guess that it was quite cold outside when this happened. It's like being able to see your breath in a walk in freezer or anywhere that it snows. When the warm moist air (in this case your BBQ) meets cold air, the moisture condenses out because the cold air can not hold on to as much moisture as warm air. The condensation forms on the inside of your egg including your daisy wheel. When enough moisture forms, it starts to drip. Because your egg has a certain amount of smoke and grease, the moisture picks up some of it before dripping on to your meat. The same thing happens around fans used to regulate temps in the egg. The moisture builds up to a point that the fan freezes up

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    You guys all know how Liquid Smoke™ is made, right?   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yeah may be clean burn needed . I smoked cheese and the gunk drips down. I may do one soon.
    Seattle, WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Got to put the daisy in egg after cooking and snuff fire with ceramic cap. That is the problem. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have this problem if I use a water pan. The pan causes a condensation problem that can drip back down on the food.
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    I had no idea that you were getting those drips from just meat moisture.  I must say that has not happened to me but I did let my vented cap get gunky enough that it happened when exposed to rain.  That's why I misunderstood your problem.  My advise is to treat yourself to some NY strips and cook the ever lovin' daylights out of the cast iron top right along side of the steaks.    
    Best - Jack
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I put my daisy wheel in the Egg as soon as I'm done cooking and snuff the fire with the cap. 

No gunk oozing onto my food. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Are you sure nobody was looking through the upper vent at what you were cooking while chawing?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    Fred, very seldom has someone made me guffaw and throw up at the same time!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.