Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back question

Options
I've read the 3-2-1, 2-2-1, etc approaches, but I'm planning on first baby backs this weekend and I want to try them just flat on the grill, no flipping, no foiling, etc.   Saw a thread last week that looked fantastic but for the life of me can't find it now.   For those who go this route, what's been the ideal temp...225-250 until bending?   
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Ribs are pretty forgiving. You can get good results from a number of temp ranges.  

That at being said, I normally cook mine around 275, but am not afraid of bumping up to 300-325 to hit a deadline
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Not sure if it was the below post, but I did some Monday.  No foil, just went till desired doneness (bend test really).  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1192005/just-some-baby-backs#latest

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    @tarheelmatt That's not the one I was looking for, but that definitely works!   How often were you brushing with the applejuice/brown sugar?

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @tarheelmatt That's not the one I was looking for, but that definitely works!   How often were you brushing with the applejuice/brown sugar?
    Just when the notion hit me and reminded myself.  Maybe once an hour or so. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have done them at 225 at the 2-1-1 method, in 4.5 hours at 275 and less time at 300 and above.  All times indirect.  From what you sound like you are looking for I would shoot for cooking at 275, check them after a couple hours, but they are probably take a few more to be done.  Yes use the bend test and you can use a toothpick to check the doneness as well.  I do 2-1-1 for a little more sweet flavor and to make them full off the bone if you skip the last stage and take the second stage to about 1.5.  I have not had any bad ribs in either method.  Good luck.  Here is what I did for the Super Bowl in a 2-1-1
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Another vote for the toothpick test.  For me it's more accurate than the bend test. But whatever gets you to the finish-line.  Just make sure that if you have any ribs overhanging your heat deflector to foil protect them.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Using an Egg, the only purpose foiling serves is to infuse the meat w. a sweet fluid that will caramelize more at the finish. Otherwise, flat, raised over a drip pan, a little over 5 hours at dome 250F is pretty much all that is needed. Myself, I've been going a little hotter, 275, for the past year. Shaves about 30 min. off the cook. I take a peek at 3 hours to see if the surface looks dry, (usually it doesn't) and brush a little water on ir necessary. Again at 4 hours. If the bones are starting to show, I'll pick up an end to see how bendable they are getting. Usually in the last 1/2 hour I brush a little oil over the top, and sprinkle on a 2nd batch of rub that is mostly black pepper, raw sugar, some paprika, maybe a little more garlic powder.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Thanks guys, think I am all set.   Now to decide whether store bought or home mixed rub.   Appreciate the tips.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    So far, the best rib rub I've enjoyed more than any was Jim's Own Sauce Smokey Rub.  

A close second is the Dominator Rib Rub from Oakridge.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Don_Piero
    Options

I don't foil, I prefer them without a lot of sauce.   I just rub oil and put a rub on, fill my drip pan with water or sometimes I throw in apple slices and apple juice with the water,  then leave the ribs on for about 5.5 to 6hrs at 230 degrees. Always make sure the drip pan is at least half filled with water, this keeps them from drying out.  The ribs are always placed on top of the drip pan, not over hanging the sides.   The sauce I leave on the dinner table for whoever wants it. 

I started putting thin pieces of metal between the drip pan and plate setter to slow down the evaporation in the drip pan.

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • calracefan
    Options

No need for water/liquid in the drip pan. Never had them dry out in the egg .

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I prefer baby backs to go at 250 dome temp until done. Normally around 5-6 hours until they are tender by using either the bend technique or using a tooth pic in-between the bones to see how the meat probes.  

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Thanks guys, think I am all set.   Now to decide whether store bought or home mixed rub.   Appreciate the tips.
    Go homemade.  Leave out the salt from the recipe.  When it's time to cook, salt the meat to the proper amount.  This will allow you you to add as little or as much rub as you want without having to worry about the meat being under/over salted.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.