Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Help

Options
I am just wondering if someone would be able to tell me what types of wood theses are, I be leave one is hickory but don't know which one and don'

t know the other one. The two on the right are the same

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    left looks like pecan. right could also be pecan, or oak.

the bark on the right doesn't look like oak to me though
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Neither look like hickory to me. The bark is too red and lumpy. From what I can see, I'd guess red and black oak.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Hope this helps..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hope this helps..
    :sick: 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    If I had wood that's more than 4 hours I wouldn't call my doctor I would call a pro in and see what she could do.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Hope this helps..
    I spewed my drink..........have to go clean it up now.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    Got to admit, she was quite the looker. Not that I mean to say that, because it's so wrong to say things like that...

And me here, with two daughters.

Shame on me.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    the one on the top right could be hickory... The other 3 are either red oak or cherry though.  The barks looks very similar to what I just picked up from a local wood supplier.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Looks like hardwood to me. Pretty sure it's hardwood. Be surprised if it weren't hardwood. :rofl: 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's cherry I got at a local BBQ wood supplier todayedit** I didn't see you say the two on the right were the same. Looks like oak on the right and red oak or cherry on the left

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf