Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nerd Stuff that blew your mind. Post your question

Options
Yea.... I know the topic is crazy. Its just anything cool that you have learned about.. Obviously I will start.

So lets say that there is two of us in orbit around the Earth. I have engines. You are faster than me and I need to catch up to you. How do I catch you?
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    rocket loan from quickens, i'll find you and take your money.  my guess is you would fire your rockets to slow down your orbit and i would catch up to you.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    Yea.... I know the topic is crazy. Its just anything cool that you have learned about.. Obviously I will start.

So lets say that there is two of us in orbit around the Earth. I have engines. You are faster than me and I need to catch up to you. How do I catch you?
    Turn around. Catch them in the other side of earth. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Wait until I (the faster one) approach.  As I approach, you fire rockets briefly to match my speed.  Assuming this was a government funded mission, i think this would save the taxpayers the most money. Since your thread title states something about blowing my mind, I am assuming none of our answers thus far are correct.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    victor1 said:
    rocket loan from quickens, i'll find you and take your money.  my guess is you would fire your rockets to slow down your orbit and i would catch up to you.
    God am I sick of that F-ing commercial.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• CanadianAnvil
    CanadianAnvil Posts: 226
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Move to a lower orbit. Therefore a less distance  around the planet you can travel going your slower speed to catch or match the other ship. 
    Save the rockets for when the interstellar war starts. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I hire a consultant.  That usually slows everything down. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Or let the government take it over - that'll really slow it down.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Go into an elliptical orbit
    Options
    Assuming velocity remains constant for both vehicles at a given circumference, lower the orbital distance (decreasing circumference) of slower vehicle. Less distance requires less time, allowing slower vehicle to match or exceed faster vehicles velocity.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Using the engines to slow down would drop you to a lower orbit. While your linear speed would be slower, your rotational speed will have increased.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    edited February 2016
    Options
    create a wormhole that is stable on one side in his orbital path and fly into the other end tomorrow, you will catch him today =) time travel 101
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Tractor beam of course.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RiverRatSkier
    Options

Assuming both are in stable circular orbits at the start, and on the same plane:

The faster vehicle will be at a lower orbit.  The slower vehicle that has the engines will need to properly time a burn to slow down and drop closer to earth, then speed up to maintain that orbit and match the speed of the faster vehicle.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Take a perpendicular route to the nominal axis of bot vehicles, turn 123 degrees in counterclockwise direction, decrease speed by 17.5%. And in approx 38 minutes 24 seconds, you should catch him....or her ( must be PC). If that doesn't work, then I do t have a clue!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Move to a lower orbit. Therefore a less distance  around the planet you can travel going your slower speed to catch or match the other ship. 

boom. mind blown. so you burn away from your target and that puts you into a lower, faster orbit.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Flux Capacitor 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    MaC122 said:

boom. mind blown. so you burn away from your target and that puts you into a lower, faster orbit.
    It is counter intuitive; you slow down to drop to a lower and faster orbit.
    http://howthingsfly.si.edu/media/speeding-and-slowing-down-orbit
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you are standing on the equator, you are traveling 1040 mph with the surface of the earth due to rotation. 
    Options
    im sticking with time travel and worm holes, dont remember the formula back in college when i was taking nuclear engineering but i do believe i broke something in my brain trying to measure the size increase of a standard textbook traveling in a spaceship at the speed of light while observing it from earth as it flew from the moon to the sun at a certain angle relative to earth using that friggin formula. i do remember the trick is to stabilize the worm hole at a certain point of time and to enter the other side but you can only travel back in time to the day you stabilized one side=)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    If you are standing on the equator, you are traveling 1040 mph with the surface of the earth due to rotation. 
    how come planes travel the same speed with and against that rotational speed =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    because space is a vacuum, man ;)
    Options
    makes more sense the world is flat......THE WORLD IS FLAT =)
    fukahwee maine

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    It is counter intuitive; you slow down to drop to a lower and faster orbit.
    http://howthingsfly.si.edu/media/speeding-and-slowing-down-orbit

That's my thoughts as well. The orbital distance is actually measured from the center of the earth to the object.

The velocity is directionally proportional to the square root of the radius. If you reduce the radius by 1/2 the object would be traveling at .707 at the rate of speed it was originally traveling. So the closer the orbit the slower (linear speed) it must go. So how does it catch up? Reducing the radius means the object travels a much shorter distance to make 1 complete orbit; it will now travel .500 of the distance to make a single orbit. If this object took 24 hours in its original orbit, reducing its orbit distance by 1/2 will now make a full orbit in 17 hours.

• MaC122
    Options

I am assuming its the same reason that me running forward on a train that is going the speed of light does not mean I am traveling faster than the speed of light?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    It's all relative 
  • MaC122
    Options
    It's all relative 

great response! haha
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    MaC122 said:

I am assuming its the same reason that me running forward on a train that is going the speed of light does not mean I am traveling faster than the speed of light?
    Nope, that is a different phenomena.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    How are you 'catching up' when you are in a different orbit?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Planes can't fly in a vacuum.  Neeners.

Don't believe me?  Just Watch!   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Stop smoking weed so you can do something less exetensial like the dishes. Or walking the dog.

Then of course, the dog starts positing about Schrödinger's cat. He hates that damn cat.