Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low carb dinner.

Chicken thighs and brats on the egg. Served with a couple of lower carb veggies...sauteed in bacon drippings cabbage and green beans, also cooked with some bacon drippings. Another special guest appearance by fork.
Bacon makes everything tastier.
I am down several pounds now, but most importantly, the sugar number is down as well. No longer getting up every two hours at night to pee and get some water. Actually sleeping 6-7 hours straight now, so changes are happening.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That looks good brah! I love cabbage and green beans.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited February 2016
    I love your posts. It's really inspiring me to make a much needed change. I have really let my body/health go to hell the last couple years.  I'm thinking I could make low carb work. Just going to have to give up baking for a while.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Keep it up.. You are doing great.. We appreciate your inspirational posts..This one looks awesome.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Great job @epcotisbest I've been doing the low carb deal since the firs of the year as well.  I'm down about 12 pounds.  For the most part I'm in the swing of things but every now and then I'd like a some fries or potato chips.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I love your posts. It's really inspiring me to make a much needed change. I have really let my body/health go to hell the last couple years.  I'm thinking I could make low carb work. Just going to have to give up baking for a while.

Thanks. I had my doubts at first, but key for me is not going hungry. Not hungry doing this and losing weight too. I do still have to work on portion size, but starvation dieting has never worked for me.
  • epcotisbest
    Keep it up.. You are doing great.. We appreciate your inspirational posts..This one looks awesome.
    Thanks for the support and encouragement.
  • epcotisbest
    Great job @epcotisbest I've been doing the low carb deal since the firs of the year as well.  I'm down about 12 pounds.  For the most part I'm in the swing of things but every now and then I'd like a some fries or potato chips.

Thanks. You have lost a couple more pounds than me so far. I love fries and chips and especially tater tots. If only potatoes were low carb this thing would be so much easier.
  • I've been doing a modified version of the paleo diet, I still have dairy.  I've lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks and am feeling much better.  The winter is the hardest part as I'm not on the Egg as much.  Once spring hits pretty much all our meals are a grilled protean and veggies on the Egg.
  • epcotisbest
    gt0186b said:
    I've been doing a modified version of the paleo diet, I still have dairy.  I've lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks and am feeling much better.  The winter is the hardest part as I'm not on the Egg as much.  Once spring hits pretty much all our meals are a grilled protean and veggies on the Egg.
    Yes, more grilled proteins and veggies when it gets warmer. Congrats on the 20 pounds. You must be highly disciplined with more dill power than me.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    way to go @epcotisbest.  It's good to hear a success story.  I'm getting closer to going low carb with each of your posts.  
    Phoenix 
  • epcotisbest
    blasting said:
    way to go @epcotisbest.  It's good to hear a success story.  I'm getting closer to going low carb with each of your posts.  
    I probably have the least amount of willpower (dill power according to auto correct in a previous post) of anybody I know, but am trying. I think the real key for me is variety and not going hungry. 
    Another thing is this is a Dr's directive explicitly telling me I have to get my sugar numbers down, so that is some real incentive. Wish I had done it on my own before it got this bad, but even though I knew I had health problems, I just ignored it instead of doing something about it earlier.
    Thanks for the encouragement. Boring salad tonight, but fortunately for me I tend to enjoy salad. And I like ranch dressing, which is one of the lower carb dressings. I am actively trying to reduce the amount of dressing I use, but I do have to have a decent amount in order to enjoy the salad. Had some leftover brats with the salad...a good combination.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited February 2016

I don't fret over salad dressing so long as it only has a couple of carbs. Its high in fat; same goes for butter, mayo etc... A key to a low carb diet is to increase fat content. When carbs are cut down, you have to raise both fats and protein. High protein diets have their own problems. There are not many reasons to stay on a very low carb diet (<20g) for ever. One thing to keep in mind that the excess fat that was put on didn't happen overnight nor will it come off overnight. Many people like to see the pounds come off quickly and severely limit carb intake. That does eliminate quite a bit of food. As you progress towards your weight goal, it may be better to trade off how much weight you're losing per week in order to have more food options.

I got back on the low carb diet 3 weeks ago. Dropped from 165 to 160; I have roughly 10 more pounds or so to go.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    ^^ is correct. You'll go hungry with no fat.  I'm down at 160 from 200 in 8 months. That is with breaking it once a week. Sometimes twice a week. This diet will reduce your sugar numbers to a normal level extremely fast. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I went on a low carb weight loss diet years ago. Went from 309#s down to 245. Took over a year, but I did break the diet for holidays. Could/would not give up drinking(Stoli/diet Coke), so that slowed the pace. I found that my body is very sensitive to carb consumption. Had to be under 20 grams per day to see any weight drop. Food choices at that low level are not plentiful. The good thing about low carb is the weight lost is almost all fat weight. Muscle is not consumed like some low cal diets.

Good luck with your program!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

If I am just maintaining weight (typically in 30-70g of carbs), I will enjoy a holiday meal like everyone else. I just eat a small portion of the high carb items including desert. One day every once in awhile in moderation is certainly not a deal breaker.

Years ago I thought low calories diets were the way to go. I did lose weight on them but once I read Dr. Atkin's book I was convinced that low carb is easier, better, and healthier.  

• MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    edited February 2016
    epcotisbest I lost 60 pounds doing this a few years ago - about 10 pounds per month.  Good luck!!!
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Yep.  About 10 lb a month for me too.  Dropped 40 in 4 months, but took a month to really kick in.  I  also went through a divorce..  Buddy told me "your single.  fat or bald, you cant be both"  hence the weight loss!!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    That looks delicious @epcotisbest and congrats on getting those levels down. Keep up the good work!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • epcotisbest
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement.
  • I'm new to the Egghead Forums. Haven't got my Egg yet but should have it soon. I've been wanting one for a long time. This thread seems to have died down. Back in Oct I changed my way of eating in an effort to start losing weight. I went to a low carb high fat diet consuming typically less than 20 net grams of carbs per day. I've lost 70LBS in approx 6 months and feel great. My starting weight was 305 and I'm now getting close to 230, so I'm feeling great. The BGE is going to fit right into my carnivore lifestyle. Glad to have found this forum and look forward to getting loads of advice.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I'm new to the Egghead Forums. Haven't got my Egg yet but should have it soon. I've been wanting one for a long time. This thread seems to have died down. Back in Oct I changed my way of eating in an effort to start losing weight. I went to a low carb high fat diet consuming typically less than 20 net grams of carbs per day. I've lost 70LBS in approx 6 months and feel great. My starting weight was 305 and I'm now getting close to 230, so I'm feeling great. The BGE is going to fit right into my carnivore lifestyle. Glad to have found this forum and look forward to getting loads of advice.
    Welcome... Congratulations on the weight loss, fantastic news.. Keep it up. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    edited May 2016
     @epcotisbest i found a great recipe for low carb cheeseburger soup you may like.  
    http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-cheeseburger-soup-153542

I used one onion and no carrots to cut down on the carbs.  Also doubled the cauliflower and broccoli.   I threw in some smokes sausage as well.  Not really an egg thing - maybe i should have messaged you.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Sounds like you are off to a great start.

My biggest problems were getting used to unsweetened coffee and tea. I was souther born and souther bred so half of my blood is made up of sweet tea. Finally found Monk Fruit (available on Amazon) and now I can drink sweet tea or coffee again without interfering with a low carb diet or knocking me out of ketosis. Sure makes dieting easier.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• I'd sure like to keep this "low carb" diet discussion going.  I'm now pre-diabetic and need to lose about 30 pounds. I start out pretty good but get to where I'm eating the same things, day in and day out.  Trying to change it up a little.  I'm a lover of bread(I'm of Italian decent) and it's been really hard to stay away from it.  But I have done a good job so far.  i found a low "net" carb wheat tortilla that has helped.  It's the smaller tortilla, 6-7" in diameter.  The wheat version(HEB brand in Texas) has 3 net carbs.  The same thing in a Mission brand has 4 net carbs.  There not bad.  I use them to make a rilled up ham sandwich on occasion.

It's been really hard staying away from the pasta dishes.

Any new tips you folks could pass on to me would be appreciated.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Have you given zoodles a try? It’s not the same but may scratch the itch for you. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Due to some health issues, I’ve been trying to repair my gut and I started the Autoimmune Protocol Diet. It doesn’t get any stricter than this. Trust me. It’s a ton of work, but you can still make some great food, especially on the Egg. Weight loss wasn’t a big goal, but it is a byproduct. I’ve lost 17 pounds in 7 weeks and my body and immune system are much better.  Happy gut=happy body. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Congratulations. The physical changes tell you the work is paying off. This will only help fuel your motivation!
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    Been at it since mid August and made it from 218 to 193.  The low carb approach certainly makes the weight loss a little more tolerable!  Who knew you could grow to like Titos and Soda!
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!