Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions on making a raised grid for a large BGE

Options
I've been researching instructions on making a raised grid but have not seen a definitive answer on the bolt length. If I am going to sit it on the grid on the fire ring or on the grid on top of the the plate setter installed legs up, will 5" bolts work universally, or is that too tall when using the plate setter? I see to use a 17" grid so I believe the clearance will be okay but would like to confirm that before heading out to the hardware store. Thanks in advance for the advice!
One large BGE in Louisville, KY.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hey brother, 5" will just just fine, while I'm thinking about it let me throw something at you.

Smokeware sells a Grate Stacker what will allow your (it bolts to the side of your grate and swivels) top grate to swing out .. just a thought
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    @SoCalTim thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

I was in Vegas for training last week. 72 degrees and sunny, I'm jealous of your weather :)

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    17" seems large, depends on how high you are cooking though.  I use the Woo and have my regular grate at the felt, then have the 13" grid raised above it for my second level.  I used 6" bolts to elevate the 13" grate, but can use the nuts/washer to adjust the height to where I want.  It usually stays raised about 4 or 5".  

If you are cooking below the felt line, you might be able to use the larger grate.  Others will have to help there.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Open the dome, stick the 17" grid up into the dome until it bottoms out, and measure the distance down to the felt line.  That will give you a feel for the maximum height you can raise a 17" grid.

With the slope of the dome, you can't use all of the grid space.  It's kind of like an attic room with a sloped roof ... can't use all of the floor space effectively.  CGS uses a 16" grid on the extenders ... the one on my PSWoo has a 3.5" lift above the felt line.  A MacGyver one I started with used a 13" grid raised 4.5" with fire bricks.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max