Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple wood - Bark on or off?

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I think I recall hearing somewhere that when using apple chunks you need to remove the bark to avoid bitterness. But I see people using stick burners that burn the bark, I am sure that other woods can be done with the bark on and frankly the bark is pretty damn tight and hard to get off. 
So am I wasting my time and effort trying to pull the bark off or do I need to?  Any other woods where this would matter?
Thanks. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a lot of apple wood and I have never taken the bark off........... The way I see it it's all tree wood bark and all.........

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Leave the bark on. You're fine 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If the bark has mold (usually that's North side bark in the Northern Hemisphere, opposite in the opposite), I would remove it.  If it looks unsullied by mold or lichen, you're good to go.  You can pressure wash mold off also.  Storing wood in a moist, dark environment can favor mold.  The bark of most species is fine, there are exceptions.
    Lichen and moss on the north. Both fine, just not giant carpets of it

Mold is on rotting wood. Under bark, etc. you wouldn't want that wood let alone the bark

;)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    ok. From there on I will barking up the right tree...
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ...  The bark of most species is fine, there are exceptions.
    @nolaegghead ... know which ones off the top of your head?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Manchineel tree.  
    Options
    @nolaegghead ... thanks ... I'm safe ... looked in my smoke wood stash and didn't find any Manchineel wood there.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Manchineel tree.  
    Holy crap!! Never heard of the Manchineel so I looked it up. Wow!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Carolina Q ... makes you wonder how nola knew about it