Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Meets Joetisserie - A New Dimension In Egging

Took one for the team. Anyone wondering how well the Joetisserie works on the egg, wonder no more. It works and works very well. It was dark when we got the egg up to temp, but got some good cooking shots. The egg held steady at 350 for the whole cook. This was the best chicken we have ever done. We've had chicken from the egg, the smoker, the Showtime indoor rotisserie, but the Joetisserie kicked it up to a whole new level. Incredible moisture and flavor. The combination of lump and a few apple wood chunks in the egg environment was magical. No plated shots since it was getting late. Sides were brown rice and a baby spinach and baby kale saute.

Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks good 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It does look good.  Can you comment more how it's different than a chicken roasted on the egg?  Flavor, skin etc...  Thanks sister!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Thanks @henapple. @bgebrent the rotisserie is self basting, therefore, more moist and produces incredibly even cooking. I used my standard spice/lemon seasonings that I use on all my other cooking methods for chicken so we could determine if this was a superior method and, in our opinion, it was. Skin was very crispy, but not burned. When I roast a chicken on the egg, I go indirect on a roasting stand. Good, but not as good as one done on a rotisserie. We are big fans of rotisserie cooking, so this item was a no-brainer for us. Others may not see much of an advantage, but we sure do. Very happy with the Joetisserie.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YUM!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Dredger
    Thanks @Brisket_Fanatic it was indeed a YUM.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2016
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dredger
    @Mickey, I get that, but I told hubby that I didn't care if it was $500, if it would work on the egg, I wanted it and badly. He spoils me terribly, lol. If someone is not a rotisserie lover, they probably won't understand. Heck, we have the AR with R&B combo, Grill Grates, Spider, various stones and racks, cast iron, and ........ In the overall scheme of things, $250 ain't that bad. After it's solo run, to us, it's well worth it. To us, it's an investment just like the egg.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • I don't know much about this product. How do you control the temp? Looking at your pictures I would assume the lid stays open?

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Nevermind, I see how it works now. Very nice.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    I'm intrigued! How long at 350 did you cook this masterpiece?
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Maybe RTIC, Smokeware, or some other company can copy this design and sell it for 1/2 the cost of the Joetisserie.  =) Just sayin'...
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Dredger
    edited February 2016
    Thanks @ Arkysmokin. @Pridnjoy actual cooking time was a little over an hour, no more than an hour and ten minutes. The chicken weighed 4 lbs. 1 oz.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • are egg dealers selling these or just KJ dealers?  I want one either way.
  • Dredger
    @SunDeviledEgg to my knowledge, only KJ dealers have these. I bought mine from Fireside Outdoor Kitchens in Augusta, Ga. from a link in a post from @chrisc133 about his first use of the Joetisserie. http://www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com/shop/accessories/kamado-joe-joetisserie/
    I searched BGE and KJ dealers within a 100 mile radius and no one had it in stock. Fireside says they have plenty of stock and the warranty is one year. I am not affiliated with Fireside, but I appreciated the good service and prompt delivery.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Dredger said:

Best picture yet of how the unit functions.  All the others I've seen have it installed in the base of an egg.  The flange sits down in the base and keeps it correctly positioned ... yes?

With food on the horizon, I suspect you didn't do a dollar bill test to see if it fit the BGE geometry ... will you sometime in the future?

Thanks for posting.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    My only complaint about the BGE, when I was planning on buying it, was the lack of a Rotiss..... dang, going to have to get one of these.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    What  size is your egg?  Thanks, 4 posting  im really  considering  get 1 to.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Dredger
    The flange sits down in the base and keeps it correctly positioned ... yes?
    @Jeepster47 yes it does. We were very confused too and I'm sure I drove the poor guy at Fireside nuts with my questions. Here are a few pics that may help.

The drive side is on the left. The shaft feeds through the hole and some smoke will escape through it, but not a lot. Temp maintenance is solid. We had just replaced our gaskets since they were shot, so gasket seal was very good.

As far as geometry is concerned, there is about 1/4 inch or less of the gasket showing outside of the Joetisserie all the way around. It centered very nicely and worked well. The Joetisserie base is cast aluminum and is very substantial. Next cook we'll try to make sure it's during the day so a shot of the egg cooking closed should be helpful, I hope.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Thanks for the review.  Chicken looks darn tasty.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Dredger said:

Best picture yet of how the unit functions.  All the others I've seen have it installed in the base of an egg.  The flange sits down in the base and keeps it correctly positioned ... yes?

With food on the horizon, I suspect you didn't do a dollar bill test to see if it fit the BGE geometry ... will you sometime in the future?

Thanks for posting.
    I also really like rotisserie cooking and I use my Weber kettle to do this.
    I have been watching the KJ introduction of this product for over a year.
    I finally got see one a few weeks ago at a Ace Hardware in North Houston and I was very impressed with the build design and quality.
    My big disappointment was how sloppy the fit was on the Kamado Joe. You could slide the whole unit front and back or left to right enough to create gaps. I understand the need to leave "play" because of tolerances in ceramic molds but this was way to much. It might actually fit better in the Large Egg?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Dredger  .. I'd like to see a Prime Rib on this, I bet it'd be awesome!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    SoCalTim said:
    Video of a small roast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPgENaQHQ20

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    That's cool. Thanks for the review. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dredger
    @kl8ton, I feel your pain.

@tfhanson, go for it.

@g37, Large. Highly recommended if you like rotisserie cooking.

@GATraveller, it sure was,

@Photo Egg , it fit on our large BGE, but we've had it since 1998, so not sure if anything has changed with the egg design since then. We had a scant 1/4 inch of gasket showing all the way around on ours. It seems to have more gasket contact on our egg than what we have seen on the KJ video and pics. Our experience only. Weber makes a great grill too.

@SoCalTim, it's in the rotation for this week. Pun intended.

@Jeremiah, thanks and you're welcome.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    How much did that set you back?
  • SoCalTim said:
    Here you go:

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7

• Dredger said:
    @kl8ton, I feel your pain.

@tfhanson, go for it.

@g37, Large. Highly recommended if you like rotisserie cooking.

@GATraveller, it sure was,

@Photo Egg , it fit on our large BGE, but we've had it since 1998, so not sure if anything has changed with the egg design since then. We had a scant 1/4 inch of gasket showing all the way around on ours. It seems to have more gasket contact on our egg than what we have seen on the KJ video and pics. Our experience only. Weber makes a great grill too.

@SoCalTim, it's in the rotation for this week. Pun intended.

@Jeremiah, thanks and you're welcome.

@Dredger glad you're enjoying your Joetisserie. Next you'll have to purchase a couple of baskets. I picked up a square one and a round tumbling basket. Did some jerk chicken leg quarters in the square basket this past weekend. 

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I need to put this thread "off-limits" or I will be sucked into the rotisserie vortex.  All kidding aside, @Dredger thanks for the great follow-up documentation.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dredger
    @slovelad , $249 plus shipping. It's a solid piece of equipment. @chrisc133, I can't thank you enough. That was the shot that sent me researching whether it would fit the egg or not. It does!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC