Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwdown: It's not the size that matters .... (Really Official Rules and Discussion Thread)

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
Contest:  2, Two, To, Too Course Meal on an Egg with a cooking grate size 13" or smaller

------------------------------

Rules:

Course 1: Main Dish with a local ingredient - 2 Pictures, 1 on the egg cooking, one ready to serve

Course 2: Dessert - 2 Pictures, 1 on the egg cooking, one ready to serve

*Courses do not have to be from the same meal, but props if you can manage it!

Dates:

Photos posted February 22 - 29th (picture thread will be posted)

Votes will be tallied March 6th at 12:00 PM (likes per post, 1 vote per person.  (If you multi-vote then your vote goes to the first person I see you voted for)

Camera:

Cellphone or tablet pics only.  No collage pictures.  No animated pictures.  Editing pictures is fine, as is adding your watermarks.

Prizes:

1st Place - 3" Thermometer from Smokeware (graciously donated by Smokeware)

2nd Place - Local rubs and sauces from @ryantt (Thanks!)

Other Comments:
Lets have some fun and get back to some throwdowns folks!  If you don't have a small, MM, or a mini now is your chance to justify one!  Because I know someone will try, the Egg has to be sized for the grate.  No 13" grates in an XXL! (btw, now with only 4 pictures you folks with dial-up can still play.  Next time try a local library.  They probably have fast internet)
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm confused. :confounded: 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @SGH I hope you can participate brother, if not let that rapscallion friend of yours @nolaegghead borrow the mini.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH I hope you can participate brother, if not let that rapscallion friend of yours @nolaegghead borrow the mini.
    If I'm still home, I will give it a go for sure. I have been looking for a reason to make imitation calimari. This would be the oppurtune time to capitalize. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    What is the definition of local?  Is there a max radius?  Are local rubs local to me or somewhere else?  Are you really an engineer with specs like this?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Legume said:
    What is the definition of local?  Is there a max radius?  Are local rubs local to me or somewhere else?  Are you really an engineer with specs like this?
    Pedantic much? :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Legume said:
    I soooo wanted to ask this, but I've already been accused of pedanticy 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Pedanticness. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Legume said:
    Engineer by training, arist by heart.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Pedanticness. 
    Actually ...

pedanticalness

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SGH said:
    If I'm still home, I will give it a go for sure. I have been looking for a reason to make imitation calimari. This would be the oppurtune time to capitalize. 
    No prep pics of your imitation calamari please.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No prep pics of your imitation calamari please.
    I only kid my friend. I'm actually thinking oysters.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Pedanticness. 
    Actually ...

pedanticalness
    I try not to get too caught up in the details of semantics. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Watching you guys work the details out kind of reminds me of this sign:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Late night bump for the working stiffs.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    So I guess the 13.5" cooking grid on my KJ Jr. is disqualified and I would need to default to my Small BGE?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    DMW said:
    So I guess the 13.5" cooking grid on my KJ Jr. is disqualified and I would need to default to my Small BGE?
    Your self reporting honesty is refreshing in this election year. DMW for pres!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    DMW said:
    Unfortunately yes :(  Although I thought it was a 13" grid.  Thank you for your honesty!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    btw, notice the frown face?  That makes bad news all better.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Important Addition:  Smokeware contacted me today about this contest.  They thought it was pretty cool and they wanted to add something a little extra for those who participate.

If you do a cook for this contest and post some of your pics on their facebook page they will send you a replacement gasket just for taking the time. (First 25 people to do so)

They need a contact address.  I recommend sending them a PM via Facebook from their page after you post pics.  You can PM them your email address and they will contact you about shipping details, etc.

Just look up Smokeware on facebook and you should find it no problem.

I will repost this message when we open the "Official Contest Picture Thread"
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Okay after talking to a wiser man than I (I know that doesn't narrow it down much :smiley:  ) I'm in!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Mini Max is ready to go! I am in.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Can I use a Kamado Joe Jr?
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Does a collage count as one photo? :anguished: 
    I am also in engineering....
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    1move said:
    Does a collage count as one photo? :anguished: 
    I am also in engineering....
    No collages.  I put that rule under cameras :)  Also no animated pictures.

This is a crafty bunch.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Two days ago I would have said ok, but then another member mentioned it has a 13.5" grid which is in violation of the rules.

I say borrow Scottie's mini.  Or better yet cook a meal together with him on his mini.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What is Facebook? 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    What's a half inch between friends?
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Two days ago I would have said ok, but then another member mentioned it has a 13.5" grid which is in violation of the rules.

I say borrow Scottie's mini.  Or better yet cook a meal together with him on his mini.
    I'm being discriminated against because I'm too beaucoup.   Thanks....(*sniff*).

Options
    Chubbs said:
    What is Facebook? 
    @Chubbs ... It's where, except for a few BGE food blogs, there is an explosion of cat and political videos.  Deep and intelligent conversations are conspicuously absent.  Think of it as a cocktail party on the internet with 1,550,000,000 attendees. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max