Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermowand or Thermapen

At half the cost, does anyone have input on the tradeoffs of a thermowand vs a thermapen? They look to basically the same, except that thermowand is magnetic on the back ...

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Hey Timmy, buy what you can afford, I spent alot of $$ on my egg and accessories, so for me a thermopen was a no brainer. Good luck.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Are you referring to the Lavatools Javelins (which used to be named Thermowands)?

If so, they are nice. Just as good as my Thermapens. I actually prefer the Javelin Pro over my Thermapens (which are many years old not the latest mk4's).

The magnets are handy and I keep a couple stuck under my stainless prep table so one is always at hand.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    Are you referring to the Lavatools Javelins (which used to be named Thermowands)?

If so, they are nice. Just as good as my Thermapens. I actually prefer the Javelin Pro over my Thermapens (which are many years old not the latest mk4's).

The magnets are handy and I keep a couple stuck under my stainless prep table so one is always at hand.
    Yes - I had a thermowand that died following a drop, and looking at what to replace it with. The lavatools did its job, but I've read a lot of praise for the thermapen on this forum and haven't seen any discussion of the lavatools - so I'm interested in seeing what I'm missing
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Love my thermopop and thermopen.  I would get them again.

However, if you liked the Javelin and are comfortable with the price then get that and carry on!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Thermapen is worth every penny!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Thermapen is top notch. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I have the javelin pro. It's all that you ever need. 3 seconds... 4 seconds? Really? lol

test have been done on YouTube, and they give nearly the exact same readings in the same time.

the main argument for thermapen is there customer service...
  • I have the javelin pro...love it.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I treat lifting the lid like a Nascar pit stop.  If you lift the lid, and have five items to check there's a difference of about 8 seconds between the two products.  

Will it make a difference, probably not, but I went Thermapen.  I'm kind of partial to them, and if they make something I need, I will buy from them.
    Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I agree that if price is not a concern you can't go wrong with the Thermapen. When the Thermapen was the only game in town they were a no-brainer.

These days there are options worth pursuing. Kinda like Rtic vs. Yeti. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    MK4 ranks very high in best accessory I've bought 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    timmyd18 said:
    HeavyG said:

Yes - I had a thermowand that died following a drop, and looking at what to replace it with. The lavatools did its job, but I've read a lot of praise for the thermapen on this forum and haven't seen any discussion of the lavatools - so I'm interested in seeing what I'm missing
    I have  a lavatool that dropped and went dead as as well. Called their customer service to get it replaced, turns out all i had to do was take out battery and bend the ground tab up, still works like a charm. But i did just purchase the thermopen on their open box sale. gonna compare the two tomorrow.
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    I finally sprang for the Thermopen during their Cyber Monday sale and have been immensely pleased ( and for $70, a no brainer IMO)
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    This is easy.  Thermapen. Top quality and clearly the best option. Big picture not that much more all things considered.  Go for quality over penny pinching. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Btw.... The orange thermapens are the fastest.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    shtgunal3 said:
    Btw.... The orange thermapens are the fastest.

I'm glad you are happy with your orange Thermapen purchase.  

Orange may be the fastest current color, but the British Racing Green is slightly faster, as evidenced by the fact it has racing in the name.

OTOH, I've put the glow-in-the-dark magnetic silicone sleeve on mine (which is great), and honestly I can't tell what color the meter is now.  Maybe it's all about what's on the inside.
    Phoenix 
  • jabam said:
    timmyd18 said:
    HeavyG said:

I have  a lavatool that dropped and went dead as as well. Called their customer service to get it replaced, turns out all i had to do was take out battery and bend the ground tab up, still works like a charm. But i did just purchase the thermopen on their open box sale. gonna compare the two tomorrow.
    @jabam  please let me know if you have any thoughts after comparing the two. I certainly feel the need to get some sort of replacement soon
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Interesting.  The Javelin Pro is competitively priced against the MK4. The backlight is the feature my current thermapen is missing.  

Can the tenths be turned off?  Kinda worthless and distracting to have it displayed for general cooking.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jabam
    @timmyd18 will do!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jabam
    timmyd18 said:
    jabam said:
    timmyd18 said:
    HeavyG said:

@jabam  please let me know if you have any thoughts after comparing the two. I certainly feel the need to get some sort of replacement soon
    So I did the Lavatool vs thermapen comparison. 
    Both spot on accurate. Thermapen was at the most two seconds faster than the Lavatool. I've been using the Lavatool for about a year now, and has always done a fine job for me. But now that I have thermapen too, I will take the Lavatool to my mothers house which is 2 1/2 hours away and use it there. 
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Buy a ThermoPop instead. They are as accurate as a Thermopen, and costs a lot less. The difference is that a Thermopen will give you a reading in 2 seconds where the Thermopop is 6 seconds.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Well there's the javelin and the javelin pro. I got the pro version and it is just as fast as my thermapen, if not a split second faster. One thing people don't mention enough is that the javelin pro is that is has a "beep/hold" function. Basically it beeps when the temperature has settled and holds it, something the thermapen is lacking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6N2UMzP79Q