Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waaaayyy OT!!! Concealed carry opinion

Options
I have many long guns but don't have any handguns. I've been seriously thinking about getting a good concealed carry weapon. I will not carry it much at all but want to have one if I ever feel the need. The most it will probably get used for is wasting bullets in the backyard and maybe go fishing with me once in awhile.

I'd like to to hear your opinions and experiences. 

What should I buy or not buy?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You'll find one or two opinions here brother:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188776/whats-your-favorite-cc/p1
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Check out the Ruger LCP380. Very small, lightweight and will leave some cash in your wallet for BGE stuff :).
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Glock 17/19 EOT

All handguns should be Glocks and all Glocks should be 9mm. - I joke.

I absolutely love my Glock 19 and wouldnt trade it for the world in a self defense situation. It's one of the most reliable handguns ever made and it wont break the bank.

I used to carry springfield XD subcompact and then an XDs and got rid of them and went to Glock after I shot my dad's 43 (single stack 380). I bought one of those as I was pocket carrying a lot and then quickly bought a 19 after and started carrying it. It's not too big to carry every day with a good gun belt and its not so small that I feel disadvantaged if I every have to find myself in a gun fight (you can never have too many rounds in one of those). 

I don't like safeties on my self defense pistols as that is just one more thing to go wrong in a high stress situation. But you can't really go wrong with any of the major manufacturers. I shot an HK VP9 the other day and it was a joy to shoot.

Most importantly is get some training if you think you'll carry. That is the most crucial piece people miss. Go to a range and rent a bunch of different guns and pick the one you like the best (the one that feels the best in your hand, you shoot the best which results in the one you are most confident in).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Ruger SR22. Perfect carry pistol for me and a ton of fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap too.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a couple hand guns, but don't have a CC yet.  I was thinking something in a 380.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Sig P320 sub compact..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    RRR LAR-PDS is my preferred carry option.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Ruger SR22. Perfect carry pistol for me and a ton of fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap too.
    The saying goes something along the lines of the best pistol in a gun fight is the one you have, but I can't take this comment seriously. 22 is just not a caliber that should be used in self defense unless it is your only option. The guns are great to practice with, but the terminal ballistics are a joke for self defense. A lot of people would argue 380 isn't capable of performing well enough on target to be taken seriously as a defense round. I won't debate that, but 22 is way too small to use unless it is literally the only thing you have. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Thanks guys. I value all of your opinions. I was actually thinking about a 9mm auto or a .38 revolver.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I use a S&W 9mm and also a S&W .357 revolver. I prefer the revolver it is way more accurate.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a Taurus 738.  Made in USA, tiny, reliable and $199.  I have a few regular sized handguns, none of which fit in my map pocket.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/jeremy-s/gun-review-taurus-738-tcp/

Options
    RRR LAR-PDS is my preferred carry option.
    that must be why your pants hang to your knees - and here all this time I thought you were going gangsta!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    ksmyrl said:
    The saying goes something along the lines of the best pistol in a gun fight is the one you have, but I can't take this comment seriously. 22 is just not a caliber that should be used in self defense unless it is your only option. The guns are great to practice with, but the terminal ballistics are a joke for self defense. A lot of people would argue 380 isn't capable of performing well enough on target to be taken seriously as a defense round. I won't debate that, but 22 is way too small to use unless it is literally the only thing you have. 
    This has been debated almost as much as lump has been debated. Yes, it's a small round, but the gun is light, easy, fast, and accurate to use. And with the right load it has plenty of stopping power. No argument here that it's not the perfect self defense weapon, but I don't know what is. I have numerous other hand guns and they each have their pros and cons.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I have two Concealed carry permits, S.C. and New Hampshire. I can go almost any where inthe country and cCarrie a pistol concealed. 
    I have two five shot hammered revolver s both are 357's smith @ Weston. I  've had all this for about 20 years,  and I've never carried a concealed gun. As far as having in my one vechiles , you don't need a permit, keep it in a lockable glove box but who locks one.
    just my two cents.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Handle as many and shoot as many as you can... We are all diff shapes and sizes and many highly recommended models just won't feel as good to some as they do to others. If you end up carrying it, make sure you are comfortable with it. Both in concealment and being proficient with it.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    My pistols are ha mmerless.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    luckyboy said:
    I have two Concealed carry permits, S.C. and New Hampshire. I can go almost any where inthe country and cCarrie a pistol concealed. 
    I have two five shot hammered revolver s both are 357's smith @ Weston. I  've had all this for about 20 years,  and I've never carried a concealed gun. As far as having in my one vechiles , you don't need a permit, keep it in a lockable glove box but who locks one.
    just my two cents.
    In Illinois you cannot carry a gun in a locked compartment with ammo unless you have a CC, which just became legal last year.

With no CC you have to have gun and ammo locked seperately.

Also, no guns in Chi-raq period.

Don't worry baddies wait till cops show up to threaten you.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fairchase
    Options
    I'm going to be different here . 
    I carry autos but I am well trained with them . I also require my autos to fire at least 500 rds of the ammo I'm going to carry in them without a hickup before I will stake my life on them.

Good semi auto pistols are a good option in competent hands.
    Cheap semi autos are not worth anyone trusting there lives to.

Set a semi auto up with a double feed and hand it to a someone not fluent with semi autos and watch the looks you get.

My advice to someone that just wants a handgun for self protection and is not going to really shoot it enough to get really proficient with it would be a hammerless revolver.

Pull the trigger and it goes bang. Simple as that !
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice. One of the ones that I am considering is a Smith & Wesson air weight .38. Also looked at a M&P 9mm

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Smith & Wesson 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    I am super biased in favor of GLOCK, so I'd carry a G26 Baby Glock in 9mm

Other great option is Sig Sauer, with a great range in carry pistols

Also PARA and KIMBER if you like the 1911 carry models.

Carry the highest caliber you can handle safely and TRAIN.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was in your same situation 3 days ago. Look into the Smith & Wesson Shield for concealment. It comes in 9mm and 40 caliber. Thousands of reviews with almost all of them being positive. Two local gun shops mentioned that they sell this gun 2 to every 1 gun sold. One employee mentioned as soon as they come in stock they are sold out within 24 hours. Watch for sales. The Shield retails for $449. I'm waiting for a $349 shipment from Gunbuyer.com at the local FFL dealer!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    I carry a S&W MP shield 9mm. Nice and compact, comfortable to wear on a daily basis.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I would suggest you consider a double action revolver
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Sig Sauer P938 is my choice.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I started with a glock 19. After getting used to pistols I got a kimber pro carry 2 .45 and love it. I prefer a .45 but that's just me. I prefer the knock down power because even when training with it I am pretty accurate but you never know how well you will react and how accurate you will be until after something actually happens if it ever does. Just get what your comfortable with and Learn to shoot it and train for different situations.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I carry a Kahr PM-9 semi.  Good single stack 9mm.  I agree with @fairchase .  

fairchase said:
    My advice to someone that just wants a handgun for self protection and is not going to really shoot it enough to get really proficient with it would be a hammerless revolver.

Pull the trigger and it goes bang. Simple as that !

I have a S&W 642 hammerless .38 revolver.  Hammerless revolvers are single action only making them instinctive point and shoot weapons.  No fumbling with safeties, magazines or slides.  No worries about jamming either.  Just point and pull the trigger.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    ksmyrl said:
    Still wouldn't want to get shot by one...how about you?

I would suggest that opinions are like azzholes...

Go somewhere where you can shoot several and see how they feel to you, not to someone else, and try them  in a carry holster.  A carry gun that isn't carried is useless.  If you only carry when you think you might need it, well, don't go to that spot...simple.  

Become proficient with the weapon you choose - you simply can never be to prepared.   Take a class.  Then take another class.

Learn the laws in your area relative to the use of your weapon and be prepared for anything.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Walther P22 for its small size and bad @ass appearance for walking around.  Granted, it's just a noise maker for the reasons cited above, but maybe the noise will make the perp decide to leave.  S&W 9mm with home defense rounds for home defense.  Your ammo matters. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.