Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baking steel fabrication quotes

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
I kept having my appetite whetted to go the baking steel route. That's until I read the prices on line! Today I called 7 local steel fabricators to get a quote for a 14" round 3/8" thick A36 steel disc with smooth edges. I received quotes as high as $85 plus tax and replies of "thank you, but we're not interested!" However another company was courteous and seemed to want my business. What surprised me was the quantity discount he offered. 1 is $37.30; 2 is $27.66 each; and 5 $21.87 each. Tax will be extra of course. I imagine the weight and size makes mailing cost prohibitive, but anybody around the Dunlap/Peoria, IL area who wants to get in on a group buy give me a shout. If not I'll go it alone for the $37.30 quote.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    37$ seems like a great price if they are doing the finishing.

My local shop charges for the steel, and then hourly for plasma cutting and grinding.  I've always just bought the rough size and then done the cutting and grinding myself.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    blasting said:
    37$ seems like a great price if they are doing the finishing.

My local shop charges for the steel, and then hourly for plasma cutting and grinding.  I've always just bought the rough size and then done the cutting and grinding myself.

I specified smooth edges up front and then again after getting the quote I asked and he replied, "yes, smooth edges".
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I tried to get a grate fabricated for my fire-pit a few years back. The first 3-4 places I went to wouldn't touch it, not worth their time. I ended up finding a retired welder and he did if for me at a very reasonable cost. You got to look around.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    Options
    I tried to get a grate fabricated for my fire-pit a few years back. The first 3-4 places I went to wouldn't touch it, not worth their time. I ended up finding a retired welder and he did if for me at a very reasonable cost. You got to look around.
    That reminds me of my next door neighbor who was a car buff so when he was having his home built he designed a 7 foot deep grease pit in his garage floor complete with cement steps! It had to have cost him a bundle, but when he got a quote for a strong grate to cover the pit be balked. He too found a retired welder to fabricate one for him for far cheaper. Funny thing - the guy was with CAT and he was transferred 3 years later and over the past 30 years it has had 3 owners now and that expensive pit has never been used!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The steel yard where I bought mine has a "Bargain Barn" where they sell surplus and cutoffs for $1/lb. Stainless is $5/lb. Logan Steel in Meriden CT if anyone is interested. You might also try a scrap metal dealer (some only buy scrap, but other places also sell it). 

I bought a 1/4"x14"x16" piece for $12 or so. Two minutes with a file and the edges were fine. Had every intention of cutting it to fit my large, but never did. Don't know what they would have charged, didn't ask. And anyway, I'm back to doing pizza in my oven so I just keep it there now. Unless I need a flat top. Then, it goes on the old kettle. Perfect fit there...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @RRP I may be able to help you out. I probably have some 3/8" A36 plate on hand that I could plasma cut into a 14" round for you and smooth the edges with a buffer. 

Does anything else need to be done to it? This would just be raw A36 plate from the mill that we use for steel fabricating.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    I'll go in on a group buy with you, Ron. Just send me the details as you have them. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP I may be able to help you out. I probably have some 3/8" A36 plate on hand that I could plasma cut into a 14" round for you and smooth the edges with a buffer. 

Does anything else need to be done to it? This would just be raw A36 plate from the mill that we use for steel fabricating.
    Thank you for the offer, but it looks like I may gotten orders for more than I thought so I'll be buying locally.
  • RRP
    Options
    Tbent said:
    I'll go in on a group buy with you, Ron. Just send me the details as you have them. 
    I'll get back to you probably Monday as now I'm getting a quote on yet another size and shape.
  • RRP
    Options
    BTW I have also received interest in a rectangular piece 14 X 16 A36 3/8" with smooth edges and the corners would not be square but would have minimal rounding. The quote was:
    1 @ 39.96
    2 @ 30.31
    5 @ 25.52
    10 @ 22.59
    The approx weight is 24 pounds for the rectangular and 20 pounds for the round one.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

@RRP Just a thought,  most A36 steel is hot rolled steel.  Hot rolled steel has scale that I would want to remove if it were me.  Thinking sandblasting it prior to use would be a good idea if you have access to one.

Cold rolled steel (1018, 1020)  does not have scale but would be harder to find a fab shop that has cold rolled.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• johnkitchens
    Options
    RRP said:

Thank you for the offer, but it looks like I may gotten orders for more than I thought so I'll be buying locally.
    It was going to be a gift to you Ron! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Hey kitchens!  Glad to see you post. Hope things are going well. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

It was going to be a gift to you Ron! 
    That was very kind of you!
  • RRP
    Options

EGGjlmh said:

@RRP Just a thought,  most A36 steel is hot rolled steel.  Hot rolled steel has scale that I would want to remove if it were me.  Thinking sandblasting it prior to use would be a good idea if you have access to one.

Cold rolled steel (1018, 1020)  does not have scale but would be harder to find a fab shop that has cold rolled.

I was already told on another BGE forum to soak it in vinegar to remove the scale. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:

EGGjlmh said:

I was already told on another BGE forum to soak it in vinegar to remove the scale. 

Didn't know that would work, cool trick!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

EGGjlmh said:

Didn't know that would work, cool trick!
    In fact here was the full message from a buddy of mine:
    You may need to soak them in vinegar for a day or two to remove the mill scale. Recall peeps doing that on the pizzamakingforum. Much easier than sanding.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    wouldn't 1/4" work just as well? would save you some weight.  i'd bet that 3/8" would be close to 20-25#
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    Options
    wouldn't 1/4" work just as well? would save you some weight.  i'd bet that 3/8" would be close to 20-25#
    Like I said above the approx weight is 24 for the rectangle and 20 for the round. I was going for the 3/8" based on burnt experience @Photo_Egg had with the 1/4"
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    From my reading and research, there was a nice improvement jumping from 1/4" to 3/8" but very little advantage taking the jump to 1/2".
    Honestly, 1/4" might be good enough, your right.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    A 14" diameter plate 3/8" thick is more like 16.5lbs.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Jeepster47

he said 14x16, no?  That's a recrangle, not a circle.

23 pounds
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    Options
    A 14" diameter plate 3/8" thick is more like 16.5lbs.
    Thanks Tom. All I quoted was what the fabricator's point man told me. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Not sure why thickness enters into it anyway. Cast iron pans, griddles.... 

None of em that thick

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Do they have any in denim?
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw

Ron's first post: "I called 7 local steel fabricators to get a quote for a 14" round 3/8" thick A36 steel disc with smooth edges."  Weight equals ~ 16.5 pounds

Ron's sixth post: "BTW I have also received interest in a rectangular piece 14 X 16 A36 3/8" with smooth edges and the corners would not be square but would have minimal rounding." Weight equals ~ 23.8 pounds

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Approx. 23.8. :rofl: 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Who's counting
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Who's counting
    @theyolksonyou ... Well, Ron said the corners were going to be rounded, but didn't specify a dimension.  Besides, Ron's kind of one of those banking-like numbers guy ... you know how much they fudge the specifics ... three significant digits is enough.

• RRP
    Options
    Who's counting
    @theyolksonyou ... Well, Ron said the corners were going to be rounded, but didn't specify a dimension.  Besides, Ron's kind of one of those banking-like numbers guy ... you know how much they fudge the specifics ... three significant digits is enough.
    For what ever it's worth the rep asked specifically what radius for the corner cuts. Based on the request for a quote for the rectangular piece I went with a "slightly rounded" corners instead of specific. 
    Obviously it's a Friday night.