Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Trivia ... The Beginning

Options
Ever wonder how much lump it takes to fill a large egg to a certain level?  Empirically we learn to fill the egg to various levels for certain cooks, but how much lump is in the egg at that level?  I need that data for another reason, so thought I'd share this piece of trivia.

All measurements were made with new, fresh, right-out-of-the-bag Rockwood lump.  A KAB was used as a screen to make sure that fines, extra large pieces, and rocks were removed from the measured fill.  This provided a reasonable level of consistency.  A Polder scale was used to weight the lump ... weights recorded to a tenth of an ounce.  A thin wire KAB (original version) was installed for all measurements ... the OEM grate wasn't installed.

1) When the KAB first came out, it seemed like filling to the top of the basket was the correct fill level ... seemed wrong to bury the handles.  This picture is of a 2 pound 12 ounce fill ... 3 pounds is the correct number for a fill to the top of the KAB.

2) The main fill level for most "regular" cooks is the top of the fire bowl.  It takes 5 pounds of lump to fill to that level:

3) We mentor new eggers to fill the egg to the bottom of the fire ring notches for a long low-n-slow.  It takes 10 pounds of lump to fill to that level:

The interesting result was how much difference there was in the amount of lump between a KAB fill and a fire bowl fill.  Since there is always a small amount of unburned lump in the bottom of the KAB after a cook, a fill to the top of the fire bowl doubles the usable lump from a top of the KAB fill.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Have to take into account lump type also. More dense lumps like FOGO or wicked good probably add 20% weight to your numbers.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Keep humidity in mind.....charcoal sucks up moisture like crazy and can raise/lower the pounds per cubic foot.

BTW, since your a numbers guy, figure a bulk density of 16.0 #/ft3 for 80% carbon w/ 5% moisture content.   
  • stlcharcoal
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lit said:
    Have to take into account lump type also. More dense lumps like FOGO or wicked good probably add 20% weight to your numbers.

Yes, absolutely.  South & Central American stuff will have a much higher bulk density because those woods are more dense (cashew, walnut, etc.)  Our stuff is primarily oak, but if there happens to be more hickory, it could be heavier.  Likewise if it's more cherry or maple, it could be lower.

Also, the lower the carbonization (the more wood left), the higher the bulk density as well.

Chunk size will change the volume numbers because of the shape of the firebox, but not the bulk density or BTU's per pound.

Long story short, there's a million different factors, none of which will ever be constant.  But that's the average number though.....about a half bag (10#) to fill the large up.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - Thanks for empirically confirming what has been loosely tossed around here in other threads.  You have provided great documentation with your other lump discovery posts as well.  Lump burn rate at various temps if I recall correctly (obviously not bookmarked).  
    May be time for a density and BTU output study since we are two days from Friday.  ;)
    All kidding aside, I appreciate your pursuit of quantifiable performance parameters for operating the BGE-helps eliminate the voo-doo. 
    Edit: I was composing and did not see the above density comments at the time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I can fit more lump under my platesetter than if I'm using the spider and stone, which sits lower in the fire ring.  The amount of lump in my fill is also affected by the type/amount of old, burned lump still in my firebox and how much smoke wood I am mixing in.

NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Good Lord! And I thought Ron was bad. You don't measure and mark your potato slices... do you? Or mic your pizza dough? :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @stlcharcoal ... the lump for each fill was kept in the basement, weighted, and then dumped into the egg.  So, the fill data is reasonably consistent for humidity .  As you pointed out there are so many variables that it is almost impossible to get beyond a couple of significant digits when measuring lump.

But, you do point out one mistake I may have made.  When I measured the remaining lump after a cook, it had been in the egg overnight.  Might have picked up a different level of humidity than when fresh.  For the next cook, I'll repeat the process and then bring the residual into the basement to reach the same humidity level as when the test was started.  See if there is an appreciable difference.

@brimee ... yep!

@buzd504 ... that's why I'm measuring "average" type set-ups while keeping the variables as consistent as possible.  If the final numbers were really important, I'd be sanding the lump and smoke wood into equal size round balls, etc.

@lousubcap ... @Ozzie_Isaac deserves the credit for starting this when he measured the fuel consumption for an XL. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

@buzd504 ... that's why I'm measuring "average" type set-ups while keeping the variables as consistent as possible.  If the final numbers were really important, I'd be sanding the lump and smoke wood into equal size round balls, etc.

Of course.  I'm just offering some suggestions as to what may affect individual circumstances.  I certainly appreciate the grueling field work you are undertaking for the good of the rest of us.
    NOLA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @buzd504 ... I didn't take offense with your comments ... no problems mate.  This thread is intended to give folks some simple numbers to adjust from ... 3lbs to the top of the KAB, 5lbs to the top of the fire bowl, and 10lbs to the bottom of the notches in the fire ring.

If you use a spider and stone with the legs down in the fire ring notches, that lowers the level of the lump about an inch ... so you have to take out about a pound and a quarter of lump. For a low-n-slow at 250 degrees, that's going to shorten your available cooking time by at least a couple of hours ... if you were close on lump for the last cook like this one, you might want to raise the spider out of the notches in the fire ring ... or use your plate setter.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Love the research!  Now if you really want to geek out you could figure out lump consumption rate at different temperatures. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I don't have a KAB so I guess I'm screwed. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Love the research!  Now if you really want to geek out you could figure out lump consumption rate at different temperatures. 
    I see you have a large ... so, I'll do 250* and leave 350* to you ... okay?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    bud812 said:
    No ... no ... my dealer still has some of the original KABs left on the shelf.  Or, we could negotiate a price on one of my old ones ...

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    The medium takes five pounds to fill to top of fire ring. My go to move, fill all the way up, then top off next cook.
    Another insightful post, thanks dude.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    bud812 said:
    No ... no ... my dealer still has some of the original KABs left on the shelf.  Or, we could negotiate a price on one of my old ones ...
    Naw, I'll just fill er up every time.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    But, you do point out one mistake I may have made.  When I measured the remaining lump after a cook, it had been in the egg overnight.  Might have picked up a different level of humidity than when fresh.  For the next cook, I'll repeat the process and then bring the residual into the basement to reach the same humidity level as when the test was started.  See if there is an appreciable difference.

Please don't do that--it's carbon monoxide and fire hazard.  It's really not going to make a difference after you have cooked on it for a few hours.  We're talking a few ounces if anything.  You're probably going to lose more than that into the ash clean-out as you remove it anyway--since it's so brittle at that point.

You are way over thinking this........you need to go back to work!!  :anguished: 
  • blind99
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I see you have a large ... so, I'll do 250* and leave 350* to you ... okay?
    I think it's fairly useless information but I'm curious to know! im working this weekend but sometime when I have a chance I'll do it. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options

... 3lbs to the top of the KAB, 5lbs to the top of the fire bowl, and 10lbs to the bottom of the notches in the fire ring.

I'll assume those numbers are the resulting average taken from say...at least ten trials to fill at each of those respective level yes? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You really need to identify the key inputs, run some full factorial DOEs and the develop a regression equation with an R2 of at least 80. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Don't forget to look at your residuals. I don't mean ash and dust either. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's simple.  2pieR squared minus the residual times the size of your egg.  You're over thinking it ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    Options
    Obviously the answer is 42. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Had that school/real life discussion today with another "seasoned" guy about my vintage. We had lunch with a couple of rookies. I remember being them
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It's simple.  2pieR squared minus the residual times the size of your egg.  You're over thinking it ;)
    There you go Brent......throwing around that Kentucky education at us.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeepster47
    Options

Please don't do that--it's carbon monoxide and fire hazard.  It's really not going to make a difference after you have cooked on it for a few hours.  We're talking a few ounces if anything.  You're probably going to lose more than that into the ash clean-out as you remove it anyway--since it's so brittle at that point.

You are way over thinking this........you need to go back to work!!  :anguished: 
    Okay, I sometimes do things the hard way ... but, you don't think I'm measuring the lump while it's still burning ... do you?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Had that school/real life discussion today with another "seasoned" guy about my vintage. We had lunch with a couple of rookies. I remember being them
    When you understand what's happening, those short cuts are legitimate.  That's the real advantage that the old timers have.  Can't be taught out of books, has to be learned on the job. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    There you go Brent......throwing around that Kentucky education at us.
    Robin, I don't know what I'm talking about but got the education I paid for! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    @stlcharcoal ...if you assume that particle size varies from bag to bag is your figure of 16#/ft3 based on an average of a couple of trials?  When this check is made, do you shake/vibrate to pack as tightly as possible so you have a true compact bulk density (CBD)?  I ask because I work in the petrochemical industry, specifically with catalysts and we do similar measurements.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE