Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LoofLighter?

Saw one of these the other day advertised on a website and I'm wondering if anyone has any experiece with it. I also wonder if a good Wagner heat gun would provide the same results.

Michael

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I have one.  I like it, but it's way overpriced compared to a heat gun, which I would think would work just as well.
    NOLA
  • I'm all about saving a dime or two if I can get the same results
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I like mine, but will likely go with a MAPP torch when it eventually dies

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Love mine.
    Large BGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use my $22 Wagner heat gun almost 100% of the time it works great. Be careful leaving it unattended very long though it will have the lump in flames in a minute or 2 and melt your heat gun. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Lit said:
    I use my $22 Wagner heat gun almost 100% of the time it works great. Be careful leaving it unattended very long though it will have the lump in flames in a minute or 2 and melt your heat gun. 
    Any pix of the melted gun or are you just 'speculating'?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Lit
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Lit said:
    I melted mine probably 3 months ago jammed into a chimney starter. I walked away for I would guess 3-5 minutes and it had stopped. Mine wasn't even melted bad but a friend melted a Barbour freight one pretty bad a couple years back. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Lit said:
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Lit said:
    I melted mine probably 3 months ago jammed into a chimney starter. I walked away for I would guess 3-5 minutes and it had stopped. Mine wasn't even melted bad but a friend melted a Barbour freight one pretty bad a couple years back. 
    The cheap, thin, aluminum housing around the LoofLighter also melts very easy.
    Think your heat gun is the way to go for the money.
    I think the KJ version has the option to blow heat or just air. That's kinda nice feature.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I use a MAP torch and a cheap fireplace bellows. No need for electricity.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    I love mine!  no complaints.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Mine lasted 9 mo was not worth my money
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    My favorite is the electric resistance starter.  However, when it's raining I've been chickening out and using my Mapp (old tanks) torch.  Decided to finally break down and buy a Bernzomatic JT895 long handled Mapp torch.  Couldn't find any ... looks like they've gone the way of the Buffalo.  So, settled on a JT850 propane model.  Damn ... should have bought one a long time ago ... good piece of equipment.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Save money on the loft lighter. Harbor freight has a heat gun that I think works better than my previous looft lighter. It's on sale right now for about $10. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have used one for about 4 years, love it.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I have one, hardly ever use it, my old electric charcoal starter is much better for me.
  • I use one, but haven't done it any other way - my dealer have me a deal on one when I bought the egg. 
    @rholt any issues with the shorter length of the heat gun?
  • I got one as part of a package deal when I bought my egg. I think it works great especially if you have some lump from the previous fire mixed in with some new. I never thought of using my Wagner heat gun, guess I had a back up and didn't know it.
  • I've not tried a LoofLighter, but I can't imagine anything being easier than my MAPP gas torch. Unless it will light my Egg via voice command.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Love mine, works as advertised.  Short of the blow torch method, looflighter is so easy.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I've not tried a LoofLighter, but I can't imagine anything being easier than my MAPP gas torch. Unless it will light my Egg via voice command.
    I tried the voice method twice, couldnt believe how bad it worked the first time
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    I use a hest gun or an electric starter. I melted my first electric starter I had by forgetting it in there for 5 minutes. I Damm near smoked this one the other day. Once I do, I'll get a MAP torch. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Lit
    I've not tried a LoofLighter, but I can't imagine anything being easier than my MAPP gas torch. Unless it will light my Egg via voice command.
    I put my mapp in the garbage after I tried a heat gun. The mapp sparks really bad and wasn't any faster. I do have plugs close by.
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Currently borrowing one on loan from a buddy. Honestly, I think it's kinda PITA. You have to stand there and hold the thing, it takes like 5 min to get going, and if the lump sparks it gets all over your arm/sleeves. I think my $10 electric starter from Wally world works just fine. 
  • +1 for mapp torch
    Royal Oak, MI.,1 L BGE, kick ash basket
  • pgprescott
    ckali7 said:
    Currently borrowing one on loan from a buddy. Honestly, I think it's kinda PITA. You have to stand there and hold the thing, it takes like 5 min to get going, and if the lump sparks it gets all over your arm/sleeves. I think my $10 electric starter from Wally world works just fine. 
    Read the instructions again. Operator error. 
  • ckali7
    As said, borrowed it from a buddy. No instructions. 
  • pgprescott
    ckali7 said:
    As said, borrowed it from a buddy. No instructions. 
    Google. Watch video. 
  • ckali7
    Never had to Google for the electric starter. Figure if I have to Google for this it's too much of a PITA. Not knocking it for others, it's a well made device and in sure it works for some it just doesn't fit in to my routine. 
  • pgprescott
    ckali7 said:
    Never had to Google for the electric starter. Figure if I have to Google for this it's too much of a PITA. Not knocking it for others, it's a well made device and in sure it works for some it just doesn't fit in to my routine. 
    Mine either fwiw, but I have used them and they work a lot better than I thought they would. I use lighter cubes, electric starter, or torch. Depending on my mood. 
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    I have had mine 3 years and use it at least once a week works great. Probably will buy another one when this one dies.