Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Imitation Hog Head Cheese made with pork shoulder, pork feet and pork tails. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
Fellows, this is going to be a fairly long and detailed post as it takes the better part of 2 days to prep, clean, reduce, cook and gel this down. As such, I will add to it in stages as time allows. Here are the main ingredients and proportions for imitation hog head cheese done in the style of Dixie. 

25 pounds of pork shoulder. 

10 pounds of split feet. Be sure to split them as un split feet take many, many more hours to cook down. 

5 pounds of pork tails.

A little something for the Texans, hippies and liberals to chew on ;)

As this cooks down I will post more pics and steps. But this is the base meat for imitation head cheese done in the style of Dixie. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    If you like, you can throw some of the cleaner organs in as well to give it "depth". However it's great without them. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'll be following closely.  Thanks SGH
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I thought pig tails were curly like the cartoons
  • SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    slovelad said:
    I thought pig tails were curly like the cartoons
    Curly tails are a tell-tale sign that the hog had or probably had mhyo-mycoplasma-hyopneumoniae-infection at one time. Thus, I usually avoid the curly tails. 

Status- Standing by.

• jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• SGH
    Options
    jarc said:
    Thanks for sharing.
    My pleasure. It will be Friday sometime before I can post everything. 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Interesting. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is great. I have learned so much already 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Mmmmmmm...  Cleaner organs...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Tuning in.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    Options
    Indeed sir. Some really are much cleaner than others. The brain and heart are considered to be clean organs. The liver, kidneys, and intestines would err on the side of dirty. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    On point @SGH.  I can see you have some heart in this! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    Indeed sir. Some really are much cleaner than others. The brain and heart are considered to be clean organs. The liver, kidneys, and intestines would err on the side of dirty. 
    Can't wait to see the rest. And I really think the heart should not be classified as an organ, as it really is a muscle.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    Can't wait to see the rest. And I really think the heart should not be classified as an organ, as it really is a muscle.

Muscles are organs.

the more you know

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Cool stuff, as always.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• SGH
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Cool stuff, as always.
    Thanks buddy. I have been trying to post things a little different as of late. Hopefully things that most have never seen. 

Status- Standing by.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Can you explain "in the style of Dixie" for us folks who aren't familiar with that term? I see it popping up frequently on some posts, i.e. Yours :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Waiting for the outcome, I am a fan of head cheeses! :peace: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    Options
    anton said:
    Waiting for the outcome, I am a fan of head cheeses! :peace: 
    This should be complete around 12:00-1:00pm tomorrow. Then it will have to gel over night in the fridge. However I will have a ton of pics to post tomorrow. Short of the final gelled product. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    See you when you finish up brother!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    I will be there buddy. I sent him a pic of the car. He loved it as well. Thanks for the help brother Grim. Also my wife is off on Fat Tuesday. She agreed to help out as well so we will both be there to help out. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SGH said:
    I will be there buddy. I sent him a pic of the car. He loved it as well. Thanks for the help brother Grim. Also my wife is off on Fat Tuesday. She agreed to help out as well so we will both be there to help out. 
    That's great!!  I could sure use the help!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    That's great!!  I could sure use the help!
    We will be there for sure. May see if Party Monster will come too. He is a idiot, but he is a great worker. He is good to have around to move stuff and go get things. However he has a voracious appetite for alcohol. You have to keep a sharp eye on him. Two if you can. But he really is great help. He can pitch firewood all day long.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fellows I thought I would share some of the pics of the process. If anyone wants a step by step how to guide, I will gladly type it up sometime tomorrow. I'm physically exhausted as I have had a rash of bad luck the past few days and have been running on almost no sleep at all. That said and aside, here are some pics. Hope y'all enjoy. 

Shoulder meat. 

Pig feet and tails. 

Meat cleaned and cut up. 

Meat boiling. 

Vegetables for seasoning. 

Cooked down meat. 

"Picked" meat. 

Picked over parts and bones. 

Grinding picked pieces through course plate. 

Picked, ground meat going in hot gel.

Skimming of the "rising".

Going in the molds for refrigeration. 

What started out as 35 pounds of meat will yield 45+ pounds of southern terrine/head cheese. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The secret ingredient for a good head cheese done in the style of Dixie. These are a must, not a option. They should both be used and in massive doses. 

Status- Standing by.

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Beautiful!  
    IL 
  • annjamaican
    Options
    :open_mouth: I'm impressed, though I'm not fond of gelatinous things I feel tempted to give this a try.
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Thanks for the post.  Looks spot on.  Hubby's father loved to make head and eat cheese.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    Options
    :open_mouth: I'm impressed, though I'm not fond of gelatinous things I feel tempted to give this a try.
    When this comes out of the fridge tomorrow, I will post some good close up shots of it. You will be suprised at how ungelatinous this is. If you make it yourself, you can keep the gelatin to a bare minimum if you take the time to simmer and skin until "foam" stops appearing. This is one of the best things about making it yourself. You end up with a higher meat to gelatin ratio as opposed to buying it. Must purchased head cheese will have a higher gelatin to meat ratio. This is how they make more money. Selling you more gelatin than meat. 

Status- Standing by.