Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Egg Newbie looking for suggestions for Pork Tenderloin on the BGE. Thoughts?

Options
Baumer10
Baumer10 Posts: 4
Hi All,

I am a BGE newbie (2 weeks) and am looking for some suggestions as the best way to cook a pork tenderloin on the egg.

Any and all suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  You likely will get several different approaches and any will work.  Pick one and go.

Season how you want and I go around 350-375*F indirect (turn once) to around 140*F.  Then remove, slice and enjoy.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Baumer10
    Options
    Awesome!  Thanks.
  • outrageous
    Options
    It is a very simple cook,  go raised direct 350*. Cook to 135.  put whatever rub you want.   this is a quick cook,  watch the internal temperature, it goes up faster than u think,  enjoy

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Baumer10
    Options
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Cook it raised direct or indirect both work the key is to pull at 140 degrees. If it gets away from you and gets over 150 its going to start getting dry.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    if your egg is new and you don't have a handy way of going raised you can just do regular direct too.  just use a few inches of lump and it'll be fine.  season your tenderloins with whatever you like - I brush with oil, add salt, pepper, dried herbs.  Grill it direct, dome temp 400, turn every 4-5 minutes or when you're happy with the char. they tend to be dry so just be careful not to overook it.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I did these at an eggfest this summer. Fun to do and great results: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bartoweltenderloin/bartoweltenderloin.htm. It drew lots of attention and complements. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Homebrewguy
    Options

I would second regular direct at this point since I've only had my egg since October and haven't made any purchases for raised direct yet (Adjustable Rig).

I probably wouldn't bother with the indirect because I wouldn't think you'd get the same color or flavor as direct grilling.  I suspect it turns out more like roasting or smoking.  Granted, those are both good methods if that is what you are looking for.

LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • Baumer10
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas!  I will let you all know.
  • Randall_Lee
    Options
    I like to take it and cut into pieces about the thickness of a slice of bacon, pre-cook bacon about half done. Marinate pork in your fav marinated, wrap in bacon and skewer. On the egg raised direct, keep a eye on them they cook fast.
    Niceville, Fl
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Welcome... Looking forward to hear how things turned out...Have fun
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited January 2016
    Options
    no "best" way.  i do a direct grill at about 40, i don't bother with a raised grid for this unless it is wrapped in bacon and i am roasting/grilling sorta at the same time.

you can do it all by itself with seasonings or rub; wrap it in bacon, or prosciutto, capicola or anything good; stuff it; or any combination of these things

here's a stuffed tenderloin wrapped in (i think):

before trimming

flayed open (like unrolling a jelly roll with your knife), and seasoned (S&P)

stuffed, in this case with pre-softened/browned shrooms and onion, garlic (or shallot)

rolled with the capicola(?) and tied

direct, maybe lower temp, say 300 (because it needs to roast as it grills, as well as time to cook the capicola)

sliced (cut the string off first)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Others have gave great cooking advice above. Here are some ideas to change up from the same ole same ole. 
    Wrap with bacon. 

Stuff with cheese and peppers. Or whatever you like.

Various methods and stuffings. 

Just some ideas my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    The above looks excellent. Awesome job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bayouegger
    Options
    abpgwolf  Was the bar towel tenderloin salty at all?  Looks very interesting!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    abpgwolf  Was the bar towel tenderloin salty at all?  Looks very interesting!
    It wasn't overly salty. But, I made my own rub without salt & was careful to knock off loose salt when removing the tenderloin from the crust. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE