Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got some poultry right...

New BGE (large) owner here, and first post, so be gentle...  :)

I've wanted one forever and have been using the heck out of it.  I've been really pleased with my beef and pork results, but I've had trouble getting chicken just right.  Most of the time, such as with beer can chicken or wings, the skin just doesn't turn out right - too chewy.  I see a lot of recipes that recommend chicken cooked at less than 300, and that just doesn't seem to be working for me (I use dome temp only) - higher temps seem to work much better, so not sure why some of these tried and true recipes are not working out for me.  I have calibrated my thermometer, BTW...

OTOH, I (finally) made some really great wings last night.  Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust with a generous amount of corn starch, cooked at 350 indirect for about 35 minutes with a flip at around 25 minutes - at the 25 minute mark I also added a glaze (butter, honey, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar).  After this, I removed the plate and cooked direct for 3-4 minutes.  Turned out fantastic.  Used a handful of hickory chips.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, and I look forward to learning a lot from this forum...
LBGE - Athens, Georgia

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Welcome to the Asylum!!!  Looking forward to seeing you around more. Sounds like you are already figuring the egg out. I find this forum to be infinitely better equiped with recipes that work than any green egg cookbook or recipe I have found. (outside of a few great bloggers like @NecessaryIndulg or @Griffin )
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When the meat is almost done, crisping the skin generally takes a few minutes at dome 450.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Regarding wings-after going between indirect and direct (both with around 350-375*F on the dome) for many cooks I have landed on raised direct at the above temp.  I let the wings dry uncovered in the fridge overnight on a cooling rack then use a light dusting of cornstarch.  I get the wings high n the dome and go form there.
    Any way you get the results you want is what counts.  Keep experimenting and above all have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks for the comments, and I'm definitely having fun.  Our meat bill has been much higher since getting the BGE...

I've seen a few people use raised direct - what would y'all recommend to use to raise the grid?

And lousubcap - how long do you cook raised direct at 350-375?
    LBGE - Athens, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I get the wings about 4" above the gasket line ( far away from the lump) and go about 15-20 mins then flip, another 15-20 mins and flip (depends on how they look) then either a few more minutes and sauce and back on for about 3-5 mins to set up the sauce or off the BGE and into the sauce and eat.  
    Raising the grid-simplest way is get another grid (weber makes a 17" diameter one that works well) and three empty beer cans or fire bricks and go from there.  That will get you above the gasket line.  Others use carriage bolts or eventually get into after-market toys.  Try google with "raised grid, egghead forum" and you will find plenty of threads.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    I get the wings about 4" above the gasket line ( far away from the lump) and go about 15-20 mins then flip, another 15-20 mins and flip (depends on how they look) then either a few more minutes and sauce and back on for about 3-5 mins to set up the sauce or off the BGE and into the sauce and eat.  
    Raising the grid-simplest way is get another grid (weber makes a 17" diameter one that works well) and three empty beer cans or fire bricks and go from there.  That will get you above the gasket line.  Others use carriage bolts or eventually get into after-market toys.  Try google with "raised grid, egghead forum" and you will find plenty of threads.  FWIW-
    Thx...
    LBGE - Athens, Georgia
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    sulcus... there's a word I haven't heard in awhile.... are you into neuroanatomy?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99 said:
    sulcus... there's a word I haven't heard in awhile.... are you into neuroanatomy?
    Haha... Sulcus Groove was the name of my band while I was in med school.  I'm still shocked we didn't hit it big.   :o
    LBGE - Athens, Georgia