Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this normal for Rockwood?

Options
Just opened my first bag of Rockwood (from local Ace) and it seems to have way more butts than I expected. I poured it into my charcoal caddy and this is what it looked like 1/2 way into the bag. 

Comments

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    The way folks go on about Rockwood I expected to have fist sized hunks of lump in there.... Granted it could have gotten busted up during shipping. 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Looks good to me .Nice size for a controlled low and slow.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Looks good to me. My bag of BGE lump is 80% tiny pieces. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The problem? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    that looks about right to me. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Why did you put it all in the garbage?
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited January 2016
    Options

ckali7 said:
    The way folks go on about Rockwood I expected to have fist sized hunks of lump in there.... Granted it could have gotten busted up during shipping. 
    bags of lazzari mesquite lump at RD for .28 cents a pound have log sized pieces in the bags. I have to break them up with a hammer just to get them to fit in my Egg. Half of them are unburned and it smells like an ash tray but the pieces are huge! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @ckali7 - What you have is about what I have seen in the great majority of bags of Rockwood.  I moved to Rockwood when Wicked Good went thru a serious quality issue a few years ago.  At the time, the Rockwood pieces were definitely smaller (like your pics) but burned just fine.  I have stayed the course and, believe it or not, the Rockwood that I get via firecraft arrives with larger pieces than what I used to get from a dealer.   At the end of the day, its all burns.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ckali7 - What you have is about what I have seen in the great majority of bags of Rockwood.  I moved to Rockwood when Wicked Good went thru a serious quality issue a few years ago.  At the time, the Rockwood pieces were definitely smaller (like your pics) but burned just fine.  I have stayed the course and, believe it or not, the Rockwood that I get via firecraft arrives with larger pieces than what I used to get from a dealer.   At the end of the day, its all burns.  FWIW-
    I've found the same thing. Pieces range from OP's pics above to a little larger.

• ckali7
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Lol, it's a charcoal caddy. Looks like a trash can though. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    buzd504 said:
    Lol, it's a charcoal caddy. Looks like a trash can though. 
    Exactly the point... It's all relative ... Maybe the guys on here refer to fist size lumps... As elf fists... Like magic elf charcoal...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you want large pieces and good quality try FOGO. You have to get the 35lb bag for the large pieces though. http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB-35-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P166SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453774389&sr=8-1&keywords=FOGO+lump
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    That looks about right for a bag that has traveled the distance it has.  I can tell by the color and reflection that it's probably 80%+ carbon like it should be.  That makes it brittle and it's going to break everytime the bag is moved.  If you ship a bag of potato chips or box Frosted Flakes, if doesn't matter how much bubble wrap you put around it, the agitation break it down.

In the US, you're going to be hard pressed to consistently find chunks of charcoal that are big and round because this industry uses slab wood.  You'll get some cord wood or thicker slabs, but a majority is thinner slabs.  Take a magazine and fold it in half longways--that's about the biggest piece you'll get on average.  You can thank the saw mill's technology, EPA, and DNR for limiting this.  In foreign countries they can afford to harvest trees to make charcoal, then slow burn in a kiln without the pull of a smoke burner.  So you get the big grapefruit sized chunks.  But I would wager the insides are not fully carbonized with the wood being as dense as it is.  I could be wrong, but I've never seen any testing results from independent labs on any other charcoal product.

We could guarantee larger chunks, but I'm going to be selling you a bag of
    "charred wood" rather than "charcoal".  It will take less time to kiln, produce less fines, and use a small bag since it weighs more per volume.  Win-win-win for profits, but everyone is going to hate it since it's going to smoke like crazy and not achieve high temps until the wood burns out.

You'll do just fine with what is pictured.....you have a better fire grate, and that's all you need in the end.  Have fun!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks great to me. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I will take that all freaking day long. A neutral burn, any size is better than crappy taste from other lower quality stuff. 
    Problem for some, not for me. Send it to me.
    Not being harsh, and please don't think so, just used so much lump bull ****, I have learned to appreciate quality lump. Use what you got. It is difficult to beat.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I'd be quite pleased with that bag. I like the Fogo I used a while back, but don't take particular joy in having to break down some of the chunks before using because they're so large. Nobody wants crumbs, but I don't dwell on the size of the lump unless it's dust and pebbles.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I'm not on the Rockwood bandwagon. That looks similar to the bag I did purchase so I could have a reference when posting. I'd be happy with that as I was with my purchase. I've had bags of RO that were better and bags there were worse. I got a bag last month of Frontier. Not my go to. But there is a lot of big pieces on top. Only a 1/4 way down so I'll be interested what the bottom 1/3-1/4 has. Now If I can only remember what Ace store I bought it at?

I don't mind if the bottom 10% is small pieces if I pay 50% less for the bag. I can use it or chuck them and still wind up ahead of the game.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like Rockwood a lot and do not understand the problem. Carbonized wood that will burn with a neutral smoke.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Size isn't everything.  :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    4Runner said:
    She might've said that, but she was lying 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Never understood why huge chunks are supposed to be good. 

I actually prefer smaller sized stuff for a nice bed of coals. And especially for a low, lots of contact and bridging for the fire to move and find new fuel
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    4Runner said:
    She might've said that, but she was lying 

So you're speaking from a hypothetical point of view or from a real point of view.  =)
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Since you are regulating air flow rather than fuel, the size of the pieces doesn't matter. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Generally true, except if you have lots of charcoal dust and many small pieces it is possible that the lump can pack together so that it impacts air flow.  Larger pieces allow for air flow through the lump pile.  Charcoal dust burns fine if it can get air.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Generally true, except if you have lots of charcoal dust and many small pieces it is possible that the lump can pack together so that it impacts air flow.  Larger pieces allow for air flow through the lump pile.  Charcoal dust burns fine if it can get air.
    Absolutely. I was thinking in general. 
  • ckali7
    Options
    That was my concern, after using several low tier bags of lump I'm familiar with bits of lump so small that it chokes itself out. I'm still burning off the remnants of a bag of Publix lump (emergency bag) so I'll get a real feel for the Rockwood once I'm done with that. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't worry to much about the size unless I am doing a long L&S cook.  Then I clean out the old, put in larger pieces in the bottom, then old on top.  Seems to work just fine that way for me on XL.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.