Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little off topic- rustic coolers

Options
Thought I'd share with some of you do it yourselfer's ... I Been making these rustic coolers for a little over a year now ...been a fun hobby for sure ... It's been a hit with the Facebook crowd :) ... I've been doing them lately with a NCAA theme ... 
Here's a few pics: 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Wow!!! I want that FSU one! Those are awsome.

seriously... How much? And where do you live? 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very cool!  Just a thought- what if you added some additional insulation around the cooler and maybe a gasket?  You could get yeti- like performance.  I have seen some people hack together some coolers like this before and of course they look ugly as homemade shoes, but it seems like it would be easy to hide insulation between the wood and the cooler. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've seen people do this, but none execute so well! Those look great!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Nicely done!!! Looks like you are more than just a hobbyist at this venture!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    You may want to keep the NCAA thing  on the down low. My father used to make decoupage clocks with Ohio State and Notre Dame themes and was threatened with a lawsuit due to copyright and trademark issues. May only apply if they are for sale as opposed to personal use but don't know for sure as I sure am not a lawyer. By the way the coolers look great!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Very cool!  Just a thought- what if you added some additional insulation around the cooler and maybe a gasket?  You could get yeti- like performance.  I have seen some people hack together some coolers like this before and of course they look ugly as homemade shoes, but it seems like it would be easy to hide insulation between the wood and the cooler. 
    Smokey no doubt about it ... I've had one or two owners take some spray foam insulation and fill in sides / front / back & bottom doing so add about 2-1/2" of insulation they say it keep ice for days !!! No official test personally though 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    RRP said:
    Nicely done!!! Looks like you are more than just a hobbyist at this venture!
    Ha ha thanks RRP ... Definitely learned along the way :) 

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    I've seen people do this, but none execute so well! Those look great!
    Thank you for the kind words grim

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Wow!!! I want that FSU one! Those are awsome.

seriously... How much? And where do you live? 
    Thanks slovelad north of Jax 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    pab said:
    You may want to keep the NCAA thing  on the down low. My father used to make decoupage clocks with Ohio State and Notre Dame themes and was threatened with a lawsuit due to copyright and trademark issues. May only apply if they are for sale as opposed to personal use but don't know for sure as I sure am not a lawyer. By the way the coolers look great

Yeah this, they are real pricks about people using their logos without permission. They do look great though. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    pab said:
    You may want to keep the NCAA thing  on the down low. My father used to make decoupage clocks with Ohio State and Notre Dame themes and was threatened with a lawsuit due to copyright and trademark issues. May only apply if they are for sale as opposed to personal use but don't know for sure as I sure am not a lawyer. By the way the coolers look great!
    Agreed. Some intellectual  property rights holders are very serious about the use/licensing of their logos. I have a friend whose son started making/selling custom corn hole sets with a few college logos and got slapped with a letter to stop unless he wanted to buy a license to use the logo.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Nice @BigGreenGator !!  You willing to share the plans, or is this something you do for a living?  I would love to build one myself.  Either way, TIA!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Choose a number between 1-9,456... Who ever comes closest, wins!  Get a sticker too!  

Rev. 1 - And some firewires and mangrates are included!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Great work. Those are really awesome.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I have a really old Coleman steel cooler and it is more rusty than rustic. Those look really good.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Choose a number between 1-9,456... Who ever comes closest, wins!  Get a sticker too!  

I was waiting for that....  :whistle: 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

No t shirts?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Found this tutorial.  Looks simple enough.  I may give this a go.  It would be a nice project.  Would love more info on the plans you used though @BigGreenGator

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1A96fGXS2UM
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Found this tutorial.  Looks simple enough.  I may give this a go.  It would be a nice project.  Would love more info on the plans you used though @BigGreenGator

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1A96fGXS2UM
    No plans trial and error I've build about 50 of these .. Each one a little different