Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snow Day Steaks

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
I was planning to take the boys to a monster truck show in NJ today, but based on the forecast, I kind of figured that wasn't going to happen. Asked SWMBO what she wanted me to make if we didn't go and she says beef, but not that rotten stuff I have in the freezer, the kids aren't fans...

Work was crazy yesterday so I ended up picking over the steaks at Walmart and found these choice T-bones.

Cleared the front porch this morning and had the KJ Jr. humming along almost all day keeping the snow off.

Opened the vents to get it hot and seasoned the steaks

Raised direct

Flipped and turned until done

Cross section of one of the filets

I could have done better on the crust, but next time.

Oh, and I apologize to my eggs, they are buried

Tomorrow will be a cleanup day, brisket chili from freezer to crock-pot.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I love a good t bone. Oddly, hard to find a good one round here. 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Those look mighty fine! Nothing better than a good steak!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Looks great.
    I think around my area the steaks you have would be called Porterhouse due to the large filet side.
    Has anyone else ever heard this?
  • DMW
    GregW said:
    Looks great.
    I think around my area the steaks you have would be called Porterhouse due to the large filet side.
    They had porterhouse for $2/lb more, so I picked through the T-bones to find these. These also had nicer marbling that the rest of the choice. Some of the T-bones hardly had any filet at all. It pays to be an informed consumer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Great cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    DMW said:
    GregW said:
    Looks great.
    They had porterhouse for $2/lb more, so I picked through the T-bones to find these. These also had nicer marbling that the rest of the choice. Some of the T-bones hardly had any filet at all. It pays to be an informed consumer.
    For sure.....you definitely made a good selection.
  • Great cook!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Inspired..... Just took 2 strips out for dinner..Your T's look great.. Have a great clean up day.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That looks great!  Is that Grunt Rub a go to for you on steaks?  I've not seen it before.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    For someone who does not live in snow land, it amazes me with both the beauty and inconveience. Those steaks look great......well worth the effort to find joy! Stay warm.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Now I'm going to have to cook some T-bones in the next week or two.  Great cook. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jarc
    jarc Posts: 241

Steaks look great, nice job.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• DMW
    bgebrent said:
    That looks great!  Is that Grunt Rub a go to for you on steaks?  I've not seen it before.
    I got it from @stlcharcoal during the rub exchange. I really like it, goes great on steaks. I also seasoned my green beans with it last night and liked the result.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    GregW said:
    The difference in a T-Bone and a Porterhouse is simply thickness. Both are cut from the short loin and taste identical. To qualify as a Porterhouse, the fillet side must measure a minimum of 1.25 at its widest area or head. Any thing thinner all the way down to 1/4 inch is considered a T-Bone. Less than a 1/4 is a "club" steak or whatever other name they decide to hang on it. It's all still meat from the short loin. 

@DMW
    Looks awesome as always brother D.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Those are perfect!  Who needs boil in the bag sous vide?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Those look delicious!!!   Well done!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.