Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Pizza Thread - lessons learned

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
I've been seeing a lot of pizza threads lately. I, like everybody else, am trying to figure things out. I experiment and have some successes and some failures. I thought I would share some conclusions I have for now.

I have messed with 00 flour, dough made with sourdough starter, quick recipes with kneaded dough, and no-knead dough. Here's what it boils down to - they all work IF you give the dough time to develop. I made some dough using Jim Lahey's no-knee recipe last night http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html
I made the dough at midnight and left it on the kitchen counter until 6:00 PM today when I made the pizzas. The dough was supple and easy to stretch. I used King Author bread flour. 

I've had good and bad results making pizza but I find the common characteristic of the good ones is a long fermentation period. It can be in the fridge or on the counter, but the dough needs TIME

I also don't use sugar or oil in my dough. I cooked tonight's pizzas at 550. I want to push the temp to 600 next time. I've been using an IR thermometer to take the temp of the pizza stone through the top vent hole. I also like the way the pizza cooks when it's high in the dome. The top cooks at the same rate as the crust when the pizza is high. 

This is is not a complete report on how to make pizza by any means but I hope it helps somebody and furthers the discussion of how to make great food on the egg.

This pic shows the height of the pizza stone. I don't use a water pan for pizza (this was from a bread cook).

Thanks for taking a look.
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks great.  What are you using to raise the stone?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Man that looks great.  What are you using to raise the stone?
    I wish I had a pic; It's just a small grate I picked up at Home Depot held up with bolts and washers. It sits on the regular grate. I haven't measured it but it raises about 4-5 inches. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great looking pie!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Homebrewguy
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Sri, Thanks for posting,
     "I've had good and bad results making pizza but I find the common characteristic of the good ones is a long fermentation period. It can be in the fridge or on the counter, but the dough needs TIME."

I've been getting pretty close with my 00 Flour, but I do find I'm always "pushing it" going to try your TIME method, I'm sure it'll help! :D

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking pie brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm hoping I can get one of my Artisan bread in 5 recipes to turn out decent pizza. That way I can decide after work I want pizza and then eat said pizza an hour later.

I'll definitely try this recipe too! Thank you for sharing. I think pizza is going to be my next project. I just got done figuring out our perfect burger (my perfect bun still needs tweaking but it's good enough now to kill anything I can find at a restaurant.)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy I'm sure your recipe will work. If I could make a suggestion, allow it a long fermenting period either on the counter or in the refridgerator and I bet it will turn out well. Prep the dough one day and then pull from the fridge and rest an hour on the day you want to cook.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon