Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this common ? ..... ( see pic )

Options

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    No

Options
    Definitely warranty claim
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    never got over 550* dome.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Never seen that before.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It happens from time to time. The great thing is that it is an easy warranty claim. No prob. 
  • Shurdaddy
    Shurdaddy Posts: 25
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This happened to the dome on my LBGE.   The dome was replaced under warranty.

Lewiston, MN  LBGE
  • XLentEGG
    Options
    Dealer said Dome is free. Shipping is $90.00 ,unless i wait until they order more BGE's for stock,then i can get it for $25.00. told her just let me know when the $25.00 dome arrives . :-)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Is it normal to have To pay shipping? 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Is it normal to have To pay shipping? 
    I don't really know as I have never had any parts shipped directly to me. The few things that I have had replaced were shipped to a dealer and I picked them up free of charge. I guess if the closest dealer is way off, it my be cheaper to pay the shipping.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I had the bottom crack on a large a number of years ago.
    I didn't have to pay anything. I guess it just depends on the level of support the dealer feels like providing.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I wouldn't pay shipping until I talked to the mothership. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Not normal.  Dealer/mothership should make it right.  Nothing out of pocket.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't pay the $25 for the replacement part. I'd look for a new dealer or tell them to add it on to the next delivery for free. No need for them to charge you
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Add to their next order. No need to pay shipping fee. In the meantime you're fine to egg on. If they give you a hassle look for a better dealer &/or use the (imaginary) Chain Of Command & call the Mothership. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    Dealer said Dome is free. Shipping is $90.00 ,unless i wait until they order more BGE's for stock,then i can get it for $25.00. told her just let me know when the $25.00 dome arrives . :-)
    Work directly through the BGE HQ. If needed they will contact your dealer to arrange for parts to be shipped. I had the same issue and they sent the BGE rep who lives in the area with the replacement dome and even installed it for me. You should not have to pay shipping.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Honestly, I think its just cosmetic. They can send you some touch up paint. (especially if you don't want to spend $$ on shipping new dome). 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've seen worse.
    As said, definitely covered by warranty and replacement shouldn't cost you a dime.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The fine print in the BGE warranty states that they're not responsible for shipping.

12. SHIPPING AND DELIVERY: BGE is not liable for shipping, delivery charges, labor, packaging costs, export/import duties, VAT or any levied taxes resulting from any Warranty claim, service, repair or return, unless authorized in advance in writing by BGE.

However, as many can attest to, that's not how they've been treated.

Here's a thread with more verbiage on the subject ... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175976/bge-warranty/p1

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    My firebox cracked and it was free, no shipping cost.  I would protest the shipping cost.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Again, if you received your warranty parts with no shipping charges added on, then hug your dealer ... s/he's one of the good ones.  The fine print is there, thus the approach should be to politely ask (and move on if the answer is not acceptable) and not demand.

Even KJ has the essentially the same disclaimer in their warranty:

If a defect in material or workmanship is discovered during the applicable warranty period under normal use and maintenance, Kamado Joe will, at our sole option, replace or repair the defective component at no cost to you for the component itself. This warranty does not apply to labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair or operation of the grill.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• XLentEGG
    Options
    Thank you for the comments , information and support. :-)
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    When I finally decided to put in a warranty claim for my broken firebox, I called the dealer. It was delivered to their location the next business day. I had told them that I was not in a rush as it was still usable. I was told that warranty claims do not ship with a regular parts order. It was shipped independent and the dealer had no control; the item was going to ship for next day delivery. Whether that is a global BGE policy or a Distributor policy; I am not sure of .