Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On it's way to negative (-17) Beef Ribs and Rice Pudding

Options
-3 degrees now but feels like -19 degrees. So what better time than ribs. This was my first crack at beef ribs. I can't recall any other time that I've had beef ribs before. I wasn't sure what to expect especially with it being from Whalemart. 

I really enjoyed the flavor of the ribs. The actual rack itself sucked from the beginning but was the last rack available. I'll need to keep looking around or hit the butcher and see what I can find. The smaller sample of beef tonight has me intrigued. What meat I could find I enjoyed.

The dish itself was simple. Beef ribs, homemade cornbread, and salad.

I finished dinner off with some rice pudding I made. Stuffed and stuffed!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    The ribs look awesome. Extra points for risking frostbite!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Very nice.  I was planning on cooking some brats tonight but wimped out.  I'll wait for the heat wave tomorrow.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    never knew wallyworld sold beef ribs.  have been wanting to try them!  Looks delicious, especially here in the 70f living room!
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Looks great!  I don't feel so cold in Wisconsin anymore ;)
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    blind99 said:
    The ribs look awesome. Extra points for risking frostbite!
    @blind99 Thanks! Neighbors probably think I'm nuts. Only difference today is that it's cold. =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    How do you people survive in that weather!!! I'm obsessed with moving away from here because it still drops below freezing a few nights a year!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2016
    Options

Very nice.  I was planning on cooking some brats tonight but wimped out.  I'll wait for the heat wave tomorrow.
    @sheetmetalpete I laughed with the heat wave comment. I noticed in your signature that your from Glencoe. I'm about a half hour down the road near Mystic Lake. Do you ever get your pork from Mrs. Pork processing plant in Glencoe? Duroc pork that is chemical and hormone free. Plus the price is comparable if not cheaper than most grocery stores. I'm probably preaching to the choir but worth checking out if you haven't. Orders needed to be called in a few days in advance. My neighbors won't get their pork anywhere else

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

CodyA88 said:
    never knew wallyworld sold beef ribs.  have been wanting to try them!  Looks delicious, especially here in the 70f living room!
    @CodyA88 Thanks! I don't do very much grocery shopping at Walmart but decided to check out the meat department. They had beef ribs and brisket packers. I haven't seen brisket in there the past few times but the beef ribs have stuck around. I think you will find better elsewhere but the only place I know that carries them consistently 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Wanasmoke said:
    Looks great!  I don't feel so cold in Wisconsin anymore ;)
    @Wanasmoke Thank you! The last week or so has been cold even for our standards. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How do you people survive in that weather!!! I'm obsessed with moving away from here because it still drops below freezing a few nights a year!!
    @Thatgrimguy To be honest I don't know any better. Born and raised in Minnesota. I'd miss the 4 seasons if I made my way south. If you make it through the winter here you have an awesome spring, summer, and fall. I don't think I'd leave for anywhere else. 

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent looking meal there brother!  Stay warm.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great, smoked a brisket on Saturday and it was -14 the next morning. Not too bad if you can stay out of the wind. Check Sam's club for beef ribs also. They are normally cut up already into individual bite size pieces but I have had good luck with them.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Good call on Mrs. Pork.  I love that place even though it seems it costs me $150 every time I go there.  Even the brats I'm cooking tonight were made from their boneless butts.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Excellent looking meal there brother!  Stay warm.
    @bgebrent Much appreciated!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Looks great, smoked a brisket on Saturday and it was -14 the next morning. Not too bad if you can stay out of the wind. Check Sam's club for beef ribs also. They are normally cut up already into individual bite size pieces but I have had good luck with them.
    @Brisket_Fanatic Thanks for the tip for the beef ribs at Sams Club. I'll definitely be stopping in and grabbing some. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Good call on Mrs. Pork.  I love that place even though it seems it costs me $150 every time I go there.  Even the brats I'm cooking tonight were made from their boneless butts.
    @sheetmetalpete Good stuff. I'm currently restoring a late 30's or early 40's Globe meat slicer. I've had a pork belly from them sitting in the deep freeze patiently waiting to be cooked

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    WeberWho said:
     I'd miss the 4 seasons if I made my way south. 
    We have all four seasons in Texas; usually in the same week  :)
    Seriously, I can cook when it's cold as long as the wind chill behaves - and that's the problem with weather here. When the wind chill cuts through me I'll confess I cook inside.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    WeberWho said:
     I'd miss the 4 seasons if I made my way south. 
    We have all four seasons in Texas; usually in the same week  :)
    Seriously, I can cook when it's cold as long as the wind chill behaves - and that's the problem with weather here. When the wind chill cuts through me I'll confess I cook inside.
    @SciAggie It's almost sinister cooking in the cold. Most grills in the area have been in storage the last couple months already. You can cook something simple as a cheeseburger with guests over and they haven't had one for months since their grills are packed away. It almost makes everything taste better! =)

Minnesota