Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Fried Mullet. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
Fellows, as of late, I just keep on giving my secrets away. Well, if you like mullet, here is another Dixie style recipe that puts mullet up there with flounder and grouper. For fried mullet, this one simply has no equal my friends. 

Ingredients:
1/2 gallon of Peanut oil for frying. 
Old Bay. 
4 cups whole milk for marinating. 
2 raw eggs for marinating. 
1/2-3/4 cup Plain yellow mustard for coating. 
Zatarans commercial Fish Fry. 
Note- Salt & Pepper is not necessary if you use the Old Bay & Zatarans FF. 

Directions. 
Soak fish for 4 hours in the milk and egg. 

Organize your ingrediants.
Yellow mustard for coating. 

Fish Fry for dredging. 

Heat good clean and clear peanut oil to 425 degrees. 

Here is a nifty trick if you will be feeding any children. Cut one fillet off that way you have a section of the fish that is boneless for the children and a section on the carcass for the grown ups. I much prefer fish on the bone, but to each their own. 
On the left boneless and bone in on the right. Something for everyone. 

Coat with yellow mustard. 

Dredge in FF along with 1 teaspoon of Old Bay mixed in it. 

Drop in 425 degree oil and whistle Dixie while you wait.

Pull from the oil when done to your liking. I cooked these for 150 seconds at 425 degrees. 

Mullet, in the style of Dixie. 

I hope that y'all enjoy this southern staple done in the style of Dixie. Thanks for looking my friends, and may the Thunder Gods keep you ever in their good grace. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great post Scottie. I was sure one of your buddies fell head first into the fryer.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yeah I thought this was a post about dipping your hair in the oil for a fry
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That's some good lookin Biloxi Bacon. Hope you are feeling better my friend.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    Yes sir time to get out my cast net
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • SGH
    Options
    Great post Scottie. I was sure one of your buddies fell head first into the fryer.  
    Chubbs said:
    Yeah I thought this was a post about dipping your hair in the oil for a fry
    I'm working on a post where I'm going to stick Nola's mane in the deep fryer ;)

That's some good lookin Biloxi Bacon. Hope you are feeling better my friend.
    Thanks buddy. I'm still not feeling to good at all. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm a huge, huge deep fried fish fan.  I cook mostly fresh panfish and fresh snapper and grouper when it's available.  I've never had mullet, but yours looks outstanding!  Kudos for the Dixie style threads my friend.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • geronimo
    Options
    Great post!!!  Looks awesome!! 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Much better looking than this mullet

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
     Kudos for the Dixie style threads my friend.
    Thank you brother. I enjoy showing and sharing things that may a little different for those not from Dixie. It's my hope that folks enjoy them. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks delicious Scottie!  Grew up with a smoked mullet dip, never had it fried.  Very nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I grew up in Orlando and I remember our church having fish fry's.  I'd go with my Dad and other men over to New Smyrna Beach.  They had a seine net that was probably 100' long.  The men would walk the net out into the surf looping it back to the beach and then pull it in and it would be full of mullet.  Best tasting fried fish ever!  Thanks for reminding me of a good childhood memory.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    We use mullet as bait.  I didn't know people ate it.  

(I know, I know...there is a way to prepare anything I just figured there was a strong flavor or some reason most skipped it)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

(I know, I know...there is a way to prepare anything I just figured there was a strong flavor or some reason most skipped it)

The fried mullet I grew up on mostly came out of the surf.  They're bottom feeders and the sandy surf bottom tends to be cleaner than bay or river waters.  I lived in Miami for several years and the mullet there had a bad rep for strong taste since it tended to come out of Biscayne Bay. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks.  I have no doubt if SGH is making it...it's delicious!  :plus_one:

We do see them in the Sound on the outer banks, NC.  (water between barrier islands and mainland)  They jump into our boat when we're sailing.  Then we have to scurry around the trying to catch a live fish and toss him overboard.  It's a smelly process, but damn funny.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

As I was reading the post, I was thinking the same exact thing.  You beat me to it. Ha ha. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    DMW said:
    Much better looking than this mullet

Is that @theyolksonyou 's yearbook photo again? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @SGH- another great recipe.  I'm looking forward to your new book "In the Style of Dixie". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    @SGH- another great recipe.  I'm looking forward to your new book "In the Style of Dixie". 
    +1 from Cali!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • SGH
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Brother Kiter, what @Webass said above is spot on. I try to only get mullet from very sandy areas such as Dauphin Island. There is a night and day difference in mullet from muddy and sandy areas. It's just like pond raised catfish vs river catfish. Where and how they feed makes all the difference in the world. For clarity, we use mullet out of muddy areas for bait as well. The mullet out of sandy areas go in the hot oil =)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I have honest to goodness gave serious thought to writing a book many times. If I ever followed through with it, "In the Style of Dixie" would defiantly be its title. And thanks for the tip of the hat my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Randall_Lee
    Options
    Grew up on Mullet here in the panhandle of Fl, nice sandy bottom make for a very clean taste. I don't do the mustard except on the fish that come from around the rivers. Like said get it from a muddy bottom and it's not a good eating fish and a very soft meat.
    Niceville, Fl
  • boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    Options
    I used to catch mullet from the seawall in the canals off Tampa Bay.  A little salt pork on a small hook, a bobber, and some bread as chum. What we found is the mullet HAS to be cooked fresh or it tastes like mash. They even had a restaurant called the Mullet Inn.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    boboegg said:
    They even had a restaurant called the Mullet Inn.
    Right down the road in Back Bay Biloxi there is a restaraunt called the Blow Fly Inn. Years ago I went in and told the waiter I wanted a order of deep fried Blow Flys. For some reason they didn't appreciate the joke at all. 

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice cook. Question: why whole milk and not butter milk?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Very nice cook. Question: why whole milk and not butter milk?
    Thanks brother. As to the question at hand. Either will work just fine my friend. I just always have whole milk on hand. Like butter, I use it religiously. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt my stash was wimpy, but my mullet beat the shît outta that mullet
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Oil temp 425??? That is high. Most fryers will not even achieve that temp. But your crust looks real crispy!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SGH
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Oil temp 425??? That is high. Most fryers will not even achieve that temp. But your crust looks real crispy!

Jim
    Rather you believe this or not, if I was frying it outside on the jet burner, I would  flash fry it at 500+ degrees. When cooking shrimp outside I always run at least 500 degrees. Usually 525. Just how we have always done it my friend. At 550 degrees, you can flash fry average size shrimp in 25-30 seconds.  

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Scottie, did you ever get the smoked version as a dip growing up?  I grew up in Ormond Beach and thats the only way we saw it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Scottie, did you ever get the smoked version as a dip growing up?  I grew up in Ormond Beach and thats the only way we saw it.
    I have never had "mullet dip" but I have cooked and ate tons of smoked mullet. Smoked mullet is just as popular as fried mullet down here on the coast. 

Status- Standing by.