Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder

Options
Gamecockeggman
Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
edited January 2016 in Pork
I woke up this morning and freaked out when I looked outside.  There was no rain and this alien object was eye blistering bright in the sky.  Finally!!!!  No rain....what better to then smoke 26lbs of pork butt.  Took advantage of the .99 cents per lbs at Kroger.  My sister is getting married next week in Florida and asked if I would cook for the rehearsal dinner.  Of course she wanted Q so who am I to deprive. So after consulting with @northGAcock I decided in stead of brining my rig with me, I would cook the butts this week and vacuum seal them and freeze.  I hope it works out....if not guess I will be off the Christmas list.
Go Gamecocks!!!
1 XL, 1 MM
Smoking in Aiken South Carolina

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I'm sure this is part of the plan but rather than leave to chance-pull when the butts are finished then seal.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, but opening your post disappointed me.

Congrats on the break in the weather and that like looks awesome - great eats ahead for sure.

Long time ago I had lamb shoulder slow roasted for 18 hours in port at a fantastic pub in Kent.  I've never tried to make it and had kind of forgotten about it, but your title brought it back.  I never would've tried this in the oven, but now that I'm with egg, I may have to research.

Good luck on the pork, looks awesome.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Legume said:
    This is going to sound weird, but opening your post disappointed me.

Congrats on the break in the weather and that like looks awesome - great eats ahead for sure.

Long time ago I had lamb shoulder slow roasted for 18 hours in port at a fantastic pub in Kent.  I've never tried to make it and had kind of forgotten about it, but your title brought it back.  I never would've tried this in the oven, but now that I'm with egg, I may have to research.

Good luck on the pork, looks awesome.
    Sorry for the typo
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    No worries at all, got me thinking about that lamb shoulder again, time to research.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Looking good.  I am sure the pork will be a big hit at the rehearsal dinner.  FWIW 90% of the time when I am eating pork it is from a foodsaver bag.  I cook 2-3 butts at a time and stock the freezer. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good luck with your cook. I actually thout about you when I saw the .99 cent post yesterday. Glad you saw it. I have been off line for most of the day. I had an electrician here installing a light over my table. Actually looking forward to darkness so i can test the light.  Hope your cookis going well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gamecockeggman
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good luck with your cook. I actually thout about you when I saw the .99 cent post yesterday. Glad you saw it. I have been off line for most of the day. I had an electrician here installing a light over my table. Actually looking forward to darkness so i can test the light.  Hope your cookis going well. 
    Thanks, almost there, it appears I have hit the stall. Stuck at 175
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Oh and some pics please
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Well, 12 hours and finally done.  Sorry the pics suck but the pork was good,  Vacuumed sealed and chillin in the freezer.  I hope it lives up to the expectation.  Thanks for watching.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice looking stuff!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I'll take any you got leftover!   There won't be any I bet!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Vfish1800
    Options
    What temp did you cook at and for what duration I'm a new large egg owner and plan to try a pork but Saturday I would appreciate any help you all have

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Vfish1800 said:
    What temp did you cook at and for what duration I'm a new large egg owner and plan to try a pork but Saturday I would appreciate any help you all have

They cooked for about 12 hours.  Temp was between 225-240.  Just a couple of tips.  Each piece of meat is a different animal and some will take longer, some will take less. If time is an issue, you can always do a turbo butt.  Let me know if I can help, best of luck.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good looking butts @Gamecockeggman!  Pretty sure you'll be on the Christmas list brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Those look killer. Don't forget your Carolina Gold sauce!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Those look killer. Don't forget your Carolina Gold sauce!
    Two bottles made the trip ;)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • CheeseheadInMN
    Options
    What size Egg do you have?  I was asked to do 25 lbs for a grad party and I have a Large.  What rub did you use?  That looks fantastic.  Thank you!
    Lakeville, MN - LBGE (August 2013)

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    What size Egg do you have?  I was asked to do 25 lbs for a grad party and I have a Large.  What rub did you use?  That looks fantastic.  Thank you!
    I have the XL.  The rub was Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.  I would check the spacing before you fire up the egg.  Set the butts on while they are still wrapped to see if/how they fit.  Best of luck and post some pics.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM