Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for measuring internal temps

Options
Hi all,

When cooking larger cuts of meat, and pork in particular, I find internal temps can range pretty wide depending on where the probe is inserted.  I am using a Thermapen while cooking on a Large Egg.  For example, I recently turbo-cooked a large pork loin, ~9 lbs, in 3 pieces for about an hour.  At that time internal temps on the ends were 150* while temps in the middle of the cuts were at 125*.  I am always cautious not to overcook, but 125*, even when foiled and blanketed after pulling, may not get 'er done.

Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    its a trade off, i like a heavier bark on loins so i grill it hot and get it off the grill at 135 in the center, uneven temps but i like the results. some get more even temps with a lower temp cook but i wouldnt be happy with that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Cooking at high temps will create temperature gradients within the roast - No way around it. Lower cooking temps will yield less of a gradient. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cal_Egghead
    Options
    @fishlessman and @jtcBoynton - A belated thanks to both of you for the rapid response and valuable info.