Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Price

Options
Just found out my local Ace can get Rockwood in and was willing to keep a few bags in stock. They're offering it at $24.99 a bag. If this a decent price? Is it worth the extra $$ over Royal Oak at Home Depot?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you order from firecraft it's cheaper $100 = free shipping 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    Just found out my local Ace can get Rockwood in and was willing to keep a few bags in stock. They're offering it at $24.99 a bag. If this a decent price? Is it worth the extra $$ over Royal Oak at Home Depot?
    This is the retail price they charge in Sandy Springs (metro Atl) GA.  It's high.  20 minutes from here it's 22$.  Firecraft beats them all.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    It is perspective....it is $32 where I use to purchase and it was and hour and a half away. If close, buy it and don't look back.....unless you have space to store 5 or so bags.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    I like Rockwood the best.  Whether it is worth the premium depends upon the price of Royal Oak.  IIRC, Royal Oak bags are smaller (18lbs?), so if they are available in the low teens, it would be a tougher decision for me.  If RO is in the high teens, it would not be worth the savings to me.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I love Royal Oak..... I love the smell of creosote in the morning.  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    henapple said:
    I love Royal Oak..... I love the smell of creosote in the morning.  =)
    Second best to napalm brother, well not really.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    When Rockwood gets below $15 for a 20 lb bag I'll use it. At $25 a bag, I'll pass and let others buy it. Good lump but not worth paying the price when other lump is out there for $12 a bag.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2016
    Options
    edited for a friend 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    edited for a friend 

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I personally keep a couple different kinds of lump on hand and load differently depending on what I'm cooking.  Maybe it's just me but if I'm doing high temp for pizza or something then I don't think it matters much which lump I'm using.  Same thing when I'm smoking with chunks of wood mixed in - the wood chunks are going to overpower whatever flavor the charcoal puts out. 

I tend to use the good lump when I'm grilling - cooking directly over the coals somewhere between 350 and 500 degrees.  Maybe it's all in my head, I dunno.  But that's what I do and I'm happy with it.

FWIW, there are currently only a few places you can get Rockwood around DFW.  I think Rockwood sells for $21 at the Ceramic Grill Store and $24 at the Ace Hardware that's closest to me. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    jimithing said:
    I personally keep a couple different kinds of lump on hand and load differently depending on what I'm cooking.  Maybe it's just me but if I'm doing high temp for pizza or something then I don't think it matters much which lump I'm using.  Same thing when I'm smoking with chunks of wood mixed in - the wood chunks are going to overpower whatever flavor the charcoal puts out. 

I tend to use the good lump when I'm grilling - cooking directly over the coals somewhere between 350 and 500 degrees.  Maybe it's all in my head, I dunno.  But that's what I do and I'm happy with it.

FWIW, there are currently only a few places you can get Rockwood around DFW.  I think Rockwood sells for $21 at the Ceramic Grill Store and $24 at the Ace Hardware that's closest to me. 
    It's funny, I do the total opposite of what you do.  For low & slow, I use my premium lumps since it's such a low temp and the food will be expose to the smoke longer.  For normal grilling, I'll use whatever that's open since any bad smoke is gone and the food will only be expose to the smoke for a shorter period of time.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Sounds like they're pricing it about right. I grabbed a bag yesterday to give it a shot. 
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    I have always used RO (buying a truckload when Walmart has it half price), but tried some Rockwood and really like it for those quick weeknight cooks where you don't want to smell like smoke because you cooked a burger or couple chicken breasts.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I'm with @SmyrnaGA regarding the use of Rockwood if I have other lump on hand.  I usually have a bag of RO around for when all I need is high heat such as for a paella cook.  
    Inventory control is set-up to ensure Rockwood is always on hand in sufficient quantity.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    This is the retail price they charge in Sandy Springs (metro Atl) GA.  It's high.  20 minutes from here it's 22$.  Firecraft beats them all.
    OT but I'm from Sandy Springs.  Grew up in Rivershore Estates.  Big up. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I wonder when we'll start seeing half burned Rams jerseys in our Rockwood... @stlcharcoal ?

To everyone in Cal, I doubt you'll ever see Rockwood sold in your state now...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I get antsy when my lump hoard drops below 400 lbs. I just do. So I find a buddy every now and then and split a pallet of Rockwood. I absolutely love Fogo, but recently the price has been more than I want to shell out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Where you guys buying your RW by the pallet and how much does it run?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    Where you guys buying your RW by the pallet and how much does it run?

You can order them through Firecraft or your local dealer.  In your case, probably the best bet is to talk with your local Ace owner or manager and see what you can swing.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    I wonder when we'll start seeing half burned Rams jerseys in our Rockwood... @stlcharcoal ?

To everyone in Cal, I doubt you'll ever see Rockwood sold in your state now...
    Nope, glad to see them go.  They never should have been here in the first place.

And don't worry their legacy remains, we'll be paying off the bonds on the current dome for another 10 yrs *if* they don't default because of the lost revenue.  Our politicians were ready to commit us taxpayers to another 30 yrs with the new $1.1 billion stadium. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190906/86-the-rams
  • bgebrent
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    bgebrent said:
    OT but I'm from Sandy Springs.  Grew up in Rivershore Estates.  Big up. 
    Then one day we should cook together over some Rockwood bought in Marietta brother.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Anyone want to go in on three bags of rocwood each? Or even 3 and 2.

really don't want to by 5. But I don't want to pay shipping. Thanks
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    slovelad said:

Go ahead and buy 5. You'll like it and use it all up quicker than you think.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @stlcharcoal can the ACEs in Virginia get your charcoal by special order?  My local store doesn't carry it.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    slovelad said:

Go ahead and buy 5. You'll like it and use it all up quicker than you think.
    It doesn't spoil...
  • stlcharcoal
    edited January 2016
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @stlcharcoal can the ACEs in Virginia get your charcoal by special order?  My local store doesn't carry it.

Not yet, but you already have a dealer in Richmond-- JM Stock Provisions.  They have 20# bags now.  I don't know what they charge as it's expensive to ship it there, but if you have the room, you might check with James to see if you can piggy back a pallet onto their next order.  Looks like an awesome place to shop.  http://www.stockprovisions.com/
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Curious (and you have probably addressed this before but I missed it) but why are there no dealers here in arkansas?  I just order it from firecraft but thought I would ask. 

Little Rock, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    JethroVA said:

Not yet, but you already have a dealer in Richmond-- JM Stock Provisions.  They have 20# bags now.  I don't know what they charge as it's expensive to ship it there, but if you have the room, you might check with James to see if you can piggy back a pallet onto their next order.  Looks like an awesome place to shop.  http://www.stockprovisions.com/
    My daughter lives in Richmond and I have had her bring me a few bags a few times when she comes to visit.

They charged $15 for a 10 pound bag. Hope they're not charging $30 for a 20 pounder.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk