Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The worlds greatest steak???

Options
Was browsing the case at a small and exclusive butcher store in Naples Fl over lunch today as saw these for $99/lb.  
let me know what you think but these may be the greatest steaks I've ever laid eyes on. 
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    That looks amazing. But terribly fatty.  My tongue says yes but my arteries say no

thanks for sharing that photo. It's tres cool
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'd hit that.

Then I'd eat it.
    NOLA
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Reminds me of this site I came across the other day. 
    http://www.miyazakigyu.com/shop-all/miyazaki-wagyu-ribeye
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Looks awesome...Did you go with the roast or the steaks?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    those look great, @thetrim care to share which store located in Naples?

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They do look incredible...but at $99 a lb I would have to ask if they could sell me a bite or two.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    How much does a bypass cost?
    I'd chance it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Can't you just hear some dude say pass me the catsup!  :o 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Well Done and A1!

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Does anyone every age these? Right now, all the flavor is from fat. 

If you age though, the proteins develop flavor they don't have when fresh, and the fat and flesh would condense too. 

Right now it seems a way way to justify eating fat. 

I've had it before, and the flavor is great. Tender too. But it's all about fat

just wondering if anyone has ever aged it. Seems a no brainer
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's also the kind of fat.  There's generally more unsaturated fat in these.  Lower melting point.  The fat can melt out of these faster if they're over-cooked.
    Options
    These guys dry age it.  I bet it's da bomb!

http://www.1-800-kobebeef.com/usda.html
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'd eat that in a heartbeat, whether it was my last one or not.  Pass the ketchup and A1.  If I did buy it it would be my last one for sure and not from clogged arteries 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Can you imagine the great burgers those would make?!?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    I stopped into a place in Naples called Jimmy Ps last year... sounds similar... they had some ridiculous stuff!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Bart1434 said:
    I stopped into a place in Naples called Jimmy Ps last year... sounds similar... they had some ridiculous stuff!
    Yes that is Jimmy P's.  I'm working down here and just happened to see it and wanted to stop in.    I don't think we have a place like this in Tampa.   I didn't buy any meat while here. Too mucho donero for me!   I'll take the snake rivers farm bone in ribeye
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    And then I found this item that I'm debating whether @sgh @NPHuskerFL would love this the most 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @TheToast .. Thanks for posting very interesting..I have never seen anything quite like that before..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Interesting Toast, thanks for posting it.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @TheToast
      Thank you so much for sharing.  Very informative.  I hope that I can experience some of those variances someday!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    BTW here's an excellent blog post that describes matsusaka beef - I found it before heading to Japan (I always research the best places to eat before traveling!) and visited this restaurant. 
    http://whereisfatboy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/tokyo-steakhouse-satou-famous-matsuzaka.html?m=1

Also, quick mythbust: according to a couple of chefs I spoke to, Japanese cattle are not massaged and given beer to improve the quality of the beef. But it's almost true: there's not a lot of grass in Japan, so some regions try and stimulate their cattle to walk further with a form of massage (probably less like massage and more like prodding them to move their arse, but somehow the myth turned into them being massaged). And beer is sometimes given to cattle not to somehow improve the marbling (it has no effect), but to give cows the munchies so they eat more! We all know that feeling after a few beers...

That's all my wagyu knowledge used up now. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Holy marbling.... who can eat a regular steak now after looking at those pictures.
  • thetrim
    Options
    @TheToast what does one of those steaks go for at a steakhouse in Japan?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Holy marbling.... who can eat a regular steak now after looking at those pictures.
    Exactly.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    @TheToast  Thanks for the interesting read.  Great info.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @TheToast what does one of those steaks go for at a steakhouse in Japan?
    And if I may so crass to ask...were you on an expense account during those wonderful dining experiences? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.