Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

set up for 22 lb turkey on a large

Options
I usually buy turkeys around 12 lbs, but I got some deals on 22 lb'ers, which were the smallest size they had. The problem is figuring out the best set up to fit it on large eggs. Usually we do indirect with the plate setter and just set the turkey directly on the grate. Been doing it for years and it works great. But when testing it out, these 22 lb ones seem much too close to the dome. So we ended up using the spider and pizza stone and grid on top of the fire ring. But we had issues with low heat which I think was due to using less lump because of the spider. Admittedly we haven't used the spider much recently and are probably out of practice. How much lump can you safely use with the spider and stone? Or does someone any other set up suggestions for 22 lb turkeys? 

Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I go with a roasting pan that has enough clearance to allow an air-gapped drip pan under it and set the roasting pan on the plate setter.  Buys enough clearance (on a 21+ lb one from last year)-just make sure you have removed the clip from the dome thermo.  And I run my thermo thru a wine cork (positioned sideways) for added room.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    We did experiment with putting a pan on the plate setter and then a rack with the turkey on it and I can't remember why we didn't like that set up. I didn't realize that fitting the turkey would be a problem in the egg until we went to put it on Thanksgiving morning, so I had to work with what I had on hand. 

Now I'm trying to work it out for the next cook, since I still have turkeys in my freezer. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    One other option for more clearance would be to remove the fire ring and go straight off the top of the fire box.  Load well with lump and it should be fine. If you tried the above and didn't like that set-up then I doubt going down to the fire box would make much difference as the cooking set-up would be the same.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EGGcellent_Smithers
    Options
    I did a 21# bird for Thanksgiving on my Large BGE. Had plate setter (legs up), cookie drying rack on that (just to provide air gap and keep drippings from burning), then a throw-away foil drip pan with my bird breast up on a V-rack in that. No problems with clearance (can bend the foil drip pan as needed on sides or top. Stock thermometer kept in place, had plenty of clearance for the bird.
    Egging in Indy...
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    I did a 21# bird for Thanksgiving on my Large BGE. Had plate setter (legs up), cookie drying rack on that (just to provide air gap and keep drippings from burning), then a throw-away foil drip pan with my bird breast up on a V-rack in that. No problems with clearance (can bend the foil drip pan as needed on sides or top. Stock thermometer kept in place, had plenty of clearance for the bird.
    exact same setup i used for this 22 lb bird (minus the drying rack) i put some copper end caps about 1/4" tall under the foil pan

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    The thing I love about the turkey being on the grate is the abundant room allows the bottom to get much more browned than if it's on a rack in a pan. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you can find a deep rack and shallow pan you can get what you are looking for.  See above from @tonyled for a good rack-pans can be molded into shape. FWIW