Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picanha steak, reverse seared

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
Forth cook on my BGE and I thought I'd try this recipe, after my butcher had a 1.5kg picanha steak going for a good price. 

Only two of us, so I halved it and froze the other half. Left it out of fridge for a couple of hours to warm up and dry a little. Then simply covered with olive oil, salt and pepper. 

Took about 80mins at 110c to get to 52c internal temp. 

I'm aiming for medium rare so after the sear and rest, the goal was 57c. First time I've cooked above slow cooking temp and at 250c with the meat on, things got smoky! The neighbours will love me. 

The end result, after 2mins on each side and a 15min rest in foil and a towel was divine. Really soft. Will definitely cook this again. Next time I want it a little bloodier - so will remove it from slow cook a couple of degrees earlier  

Comments

• WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Homerun brother!!!!  This looks unreal.  I am a huge fan of reverse searing large cuts of meat.  That is the only way I will cook them!  This cook looks incredible! Now your only problem will be ordering steak at a restaurant since you can obviously cook a steak as good or better than most restaurants.  Have a great Sunday!

• xiphoid007
    Options
    Looks awesome! Looks perfect med rare to me!!

I usually cook to 110 degrees and then sear, Google tells me that's 43 c.

For the sear part I get the coals rocket hot with my looftlighter and just keep it moving until the entire surface is mahogany with a touch of black here and there. I leave the top open for this. Works well for me.

Congrats! Great looking cook.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • grndr420
    Options
    Wow.  Looks great!!!