Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe question, Jewish brisket

Options
This is from Pat LaFreida's book Meat.

4lbs brisket
1T plus 1/2t kosher salt
1/2t black pepper
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 cup honey
1/4t cinnamon
1/4t cloves

Season brisket with 1T of salt and the black pepper. Put brisket and stock in dutch oven @ 325 for 4-4.5 hours.

Discard stock, raise oven to 400. Mix spices and sugars and coat brisket with that sauce. Bake for about 10 minutes or until a candied crust forms. Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining 1/2t salt, let rest 15 minutes, then slice and serve.

In the notes for the recipe, he says to use the second cut for this, the point, because if you use the flat it will dry out.

Now, Pat LaFreida knows more about meat than I ever will. But I just can't envision that this can't be made with the flat; I don't have a point, but I do have a flat. I think that if you inject the flat with broth, it will be fine.

What says the collected wisdom of the BGE forum?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If a flat is all you have then give it a go-recognize the major difference between it and the point regarding fat content (lean vs fatty) and how that will play with the cook process. The recipe is a braise so you should be just fine. Juicing the flat will only help from my perspective. Recognize the above is all a WAG.
     On a related note, I realize that the above recipe calls for a whole lot of salt...as that is part of the experience but you may want to temper the salt as you won't have as much rendering using the flat. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I could even inject it with bacon grease, don't you think?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    That much salt is like braising it in a brine.  The recipe does call for discarding the cooking liquid - it would be way too salty to use for gravy.

Second cut and point are not the same.  Flats and points are separated by a horizontal cut through the fatty layer between them.  First cut and second cut are separated by a vertical cut. First cut is mostly flat with a bit of the thin part of the point.  Second cut is mostly the point with a little of the end of the flat.  Even though different, flat and first cut can be treated the same and I image that some markets may not make the distinction.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Mosca - I'm guessing the bacon grease would work just fine but never having done it...it would definitely add some moisture to the flat in the form of the grease that would then render.  
    Independent of the recipe I would go til that hunk of beef probes like buttah (the proverbial brisket finish-line).  It may be quite close after the dutch oven cook but if not I would leave in the braise til very close.  Then do that glaze part of the cook.  And if it all goes south-chili on the horizon.  Best of luck.
    Edit: no wisdom here-just offering some thoughts... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    That much salt is like braising it in a brine.  The recipe does call for discarding the cooking liquid - it would be way too salty to use for gravy.

Second cut and point are not the same.  Flats and points are separated by a horizontal cut through the fatty layer between them.  First cut and second cut are separated by a vertical cut. First cut is mostly flat with a bit of the thin part of the point.  Second cut is mostly the point with a little of the end of the flat.  Even though different, flat and first cut can be treated the same and I image that some markets may not make the distinction.
    Now that is interesting, you learn something new every day!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can braise a leg of yak if you want to. It's what's called a moist cooking method.

Steve 

Caledon, ON