Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SALADO EGGFEST

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674

Salado Egg Fest

After 5 wonderful years I am stepping down with my involvement with the Salado Egg Fest. This was said at the end of last years’ Fest and holds true. I want to thank my wife Linda for putting up with me during the Fests . Also ,thank you, Leroy and Judy for 5 years of hard support and hours & hours of work in making the Fest what it was. I must thank Tony and all the people who worked lots of hours.

What will happen now?  No longer associated with the Fest, I can’t really say. Not sure who it would belong to. 

Will (Inn on the Creek) has talked about taking it up but with the loss of Chris last year, that is not nailed down as of today (Will is looking into it). I will suggest to Will this idea and understand he is open to do anything he may wish. Six years ago Leroy and I had an idea of a Mini Fest in Salado (not Corporate, not Company, not Distributor) just EggHeads and families wanting to get together, cook, drink an adult beverage and have that special companionship. 

At that time, the Park (site of the last 5 Fest’s) was the place to hold it and it worked out very well. What I am suggesting is go back to this idea and have it just for EggHeads and friends. Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night sounds about right. Hold it in October to try and stay out of the Texas heat a little. Will owns a very special spot to hold this and would be happy to provide it for us. 

I will keep you up as this progresses and thanks once more for making the Salado EggFest what it was. 

Mickey

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mickey,
    Thank you very much. Salad Eggfest has always been very special and I deeply thank you and Linda for all commitment and hard work involved. Without exception, Judy and Leroy have been the motivation and drive behind many events. What a great group of people I stumbled into many years ago just trying to improve my BBQ skills.
    I feel so lucky to have met all of you...

and October sounds fantastic...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I would do my best to come to something like this!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • outrageous
    Options
    Mickey, pat (poolman) does that in Melbourne fla. every year.  we rent the entire hotel for 3days . Everybody brings there egg, cooks whatever n whenever they want, sit around visiting and enjoying the fellowship, plus there is adult beverages involved.   Leroy n his lovely bride has been there.   your idea sounds very similar,  hope it happens,

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey, pat (poolman) does that in Melbourne fla. every year.  we rent the entire hotel for 3days . Everybody brings there egg, cooks whatever n whenever they want, sit around visiting and enjoying the fellowship, plus there is adult beverages involved.   Leroy n his lovely bride has been there.   your idea sounds very similar,  hope it happens,
    Pat is my hero 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I was only able to make it to the one last year, but I'm glad I did.  Thank you, @Mickey so much for all your efforts on this in the past.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You're right Mickey, it was fun. 

But as you are well aware, and a lot of people don't realize, the work actually started for the next years Salado Eggfest the day after each Eggfest and continued throughout the year in an attempt to cover every little detail as best we could on shoestring budget that would allow us to keep it free to all comers. It wasn't easy but somehow you managed to make it happen. I suspect your wallet is a lot thinner for it. 

As for mine and Judy's part, it was a labor for sure, but a labor of love. 

The simple blog I set up and maintained on a daily basis, grew to 52466 views from over 75 countries as of today. And people still visit the blog site on a daily basis: 382 visits last month alone. 

The Salado Eggfest's uniqueness can lay title to the only eggfest where kilts were worn, feet-in-the-creek was normal, pre and post Eggfest parties were Eggfests in themselves, and you could fly in by helicopter. We had visitors from seventeen states, Canada, Mexico and even Ireland. 

The cooks always produced surprises that would impress a world class chef. 

We kept it family-style and encouraged family gatherings among the oak trees along the creek. There was never a single incident of misconduct. 

The Village of Salado, your hometown, loved us and the Mayor even presented us with a proclamation thanking us for our contribution to the community. 

I could go on but I think everyone knows it was a first class Eggfest. 

And it was all because of you from the very start. The rest of us just pitched in. 

Perhaps it has run its course and with four other Eggfests in Texas alone, it's time to hang up our spurs. And yes, maybe even go back to the original idea for just a simple gathering of Eggheads who bring their own Eggs and have some lazy fun among friends. 

I think I would like that. 

Spring "Formerly Fest Scribe" Chicken 
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mickey
    Options
    FREE. I had forgot that when we started this it would be free or we would not do it. Free to Cooks, Tasters, people selling cool Egg stuff. Free to everyone. They said no way we could make it free but we did Leroy. We gave away 16 free new Eggs and loads of cool prizes.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Mickey thanks for all that you and Linda have done. You are the one that convinced me that we should cook at the Salado Eggfest, our first! We got meet and hang out with the best Eggheads.

It truly has been the Eggfest ever.

Sign me up for the Mini Fest. We will be there.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    There was never a single incident of misconduct. 

...until after you went to bed!!!    Ha...Ha...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Peeing in the river is only misconduct if you get caught.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I saw @henapple coming at me with "special companionship" on his mind, and had to tell him to pull his pants back up or go find some sheep.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Salado is the only eggfest I've attended over the past few years and each time it was a blast. Leroy, you forgot attendees from India - I brought my in-laws in 2014. That was also when caliprince attended his first bbq event, at the tender age of 2mo, and there were many egghead granma's willing to cuddle and snuggle him for a bit. 

I love the Salado eggfest. People are amazed when I tell them that its all free - to cook at, eat at, or whatever. Count me in if a Mini fest is being planned, because I'll sure miss seeing the usual misfits otherwise. 

As a thought, March may still be a good time- It seems that a lot of events get packed in to the last few months of the year once the heat dies down in TX. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    caliking said:

I saw @henapple coming at me with "special companionship" on his mind, and had to tell him to pull his pants back up or go find some sheep.

Yeah, he claims he was "just headin' to the river" when that happens.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My conversations in Salado 

@Mickey: Get your ass in the truck and haul eggs. 
    @caliking: Watch me cook on a garbage lid 
    Steven: Your out of PBR 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm still kicking myself in the a$$ for missing last year(my first year with knowledge of such an awesome event) we could've gone to universal anytime. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I wish I had made it.  After moving to TX this was on my list.  I appreciate all you have all done for this community!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You're right Mickey, it was fun. 

But as you are well aware, and a lot of people don't realize, the work actually started for the next years Salado Eggfest the day after each Eggfest and continued throughout the year in an attempt to cover every little detail as best we could on shoestring budget that would allow us to keep it free to all comers. It wasn't easy but somehow you managed to make it happen. I suspect your wallet is a lot thinner for it. 

As for mine and Judy's part, it was a labor for sure, but a labor of love. 

The simple blog I set up and maintained on a daily basis, grew to 52466 views from over 75 countries as of today. And people still visit the blog site on a daily basis: 382 visits last month alone. 

The Salado Eggfest's uniqueness can lay title to the only eggfest where kilts were worn, feet-in-the-creek was normal, pre and post Eggfest parties were Eggfests in themselves, and you could fly in by helicopter. We had visitors from seventeen states, Canada, Mexico and even Ireland. 

The cooks always produced surprises that would impress a world class chef. 

We kept it family-style and encouraged family gatherings among the oak trees along the creek. There was never a single incident of misconduct. 

The Village of Salado, your hometown, loved us and the Mayor even presented us with a proclamation thanking us for our contribution to the community. 

I could go on but I think everyone knows it was a first class Eggfest. 

And it was all because of you from the very start. The rest of us just pitched in. 

Perhaps it has run its course and with four other Eggfests in Texas alone, it's time to hang up our spurs. And yes, maybe even go back to the original idea for just a simple gathering of Eggheads who bring their own Eggs and have some lazy fun among friends. 

I think I would like that. 

Spring "Formerly Fest Scribe" Chicken 
    Spring Texas USA

Damn Leroy,

Do you know what Air Canada charges to bring an egg down there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:

You slut! She is mine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Steve... I've heard it's twice as much if you plan to take it back.

Spring "One Way" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I was always told us when one door closes another opens.
    The Salado Eggiest door appears to be closing but, as Mickey said, there will be another gathering. We have made too many good and fast friends not to get the "salado family" back together. 
    Lloyd and I have made many friends, been helped by many eggheads, and have been served some of the best food ever egged. 
    Salado was not just a one day eggiest it was a two day get together of old friends and new friends. 
    Mickey, you and Linda have earned a well deserve rest. Lloyd and I thank both of you and the Chickens in Spring for all the hard work that went into producing a first class event.
    Count us in for a mini fest
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I planned to attend a few years back but something came up. Now I will never get to see @Mickey in a dress. Good man that @Mickey
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I planned to attend a few years back but something came up. Now I will never get to see @Mickey in a dress. Good man that @Mickey

What you said! Not the dress part the other part.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs said:

What you said! Not the dress part the other part.
    Steven I have 4 Eggs on the porch, got you covered buddy. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Whatever it looks like, we are in. Thanks Mickey. And FWIW, I agree with taking the fest private. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @caliking can do some killer cooking on garbage can lids. And word on the street is he likes private meat parties. Last year was fun and when there's another gathering I'll be sure to be there. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just be sure not to overlap with Brisket Camp, that would be like crossing the streams.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just be sure not to overlap with Brisket Camp, that would be like crossing the streams.

Not to worry. Nola needed in Salado

• marianneiamele1
    Options
    My family and I attended last year and it was FABULOUS...keep us posted if there will be one this year!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    My family and I attended last year and it was FABULOUS...keep us posted if there will be one this year!
    Yes there will be one March 12. Will Lowery (owners Inn on the Creek) will take it over. He will post soon.