Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Jackson, WY...

Options
I'm taking the lead from @stonewh who asked about Breck and has gotten some fine recommendations.

I'll be in Jackson in a few weeks.  I've been there before and recall there are no shortage of places to get steaks & burgers made from most large mammals you are legally allowed to shoot and serve.   Best prime rib of my life was at one of those places...it was a Buffalo Prime Rib.  Incredible.  I licked the plate.

Anyway, with more restaurants than I have days to dine, I was looking for tips from anything from bar/comfort food to your favorite steakhouse.  I'm sure some of you carnevoirs have been there and have some favorites.  Otherwise, I'll have to rely on Yelp and those people don't Egg thus can not be trusted.

I have eaten at the steakhouse underneath the Million $ Cowboy Bar a couple times and that has always been excellent, but I'm sure there is more to see.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• HighSierraEgg
    Options
    Bubbas. Great breakfast and good BBQ
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I thought Trio & Snake River Grill were both good. Get a burger at the Bird. Go to Wilson and have breakfast at Nora's. Bubbas is good too!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Go horseback riding at the Mill Iron Ranch. They will take you up in the mountains with some great views of the Teton Mountains. Make sure you plan (make reservations) to stay after for the steak dinner. You will be most pleased with this Expierence.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I third Bubba's for breakfast.  
    My favorite dinner place is fusion sushi so I'll sit the rest of this one out.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Sushi is good by me also, @Botch!  Thanks.

Sounds like at a minimum, I need to hit Bubba's...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    I was there this year. With the family I had with me we did not explore dining options like I would have liked that being said my favorite meals were all in the national parks. We had lunch at the Old Faithful inn and the burger I got was incredible, but my favorite was the huckleberry lemonade. Another good meal we had was at the Mammoth hot Springs hotel. I was really surprised. However again my family was not big on finding good restaurants so take that with a grain of salt. My mother always has a nice meal at the Jenny lake Lodge in Teton. I do not know if you have been up there, but the best thing we did was go to Lamar Vally in Yellowstone at Dusk and the following day at dawn. We got to see a wild wolf pack hunting and playing which was amazing and a monster Grizzly Bear named Scar Face. If you need any help with things to see in the national park let me know. I still have tons of info on it. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We drove last year to Jackson Hole to the start of a great drive into all three National Parks to the North: Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier. Then up into Canada to the Glacier area and a little North to Jasper. WHAT A DRIVE!
    We are very different than most. Now if a town has a Whole Foods we like that for lunch and Jackson had somthing very similar to it. It turned out very good for lunch. We are also into Bewery Pubs now to eat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    We got to see a wild wolf pack hunting and playing which was amazing and a monster Grizzly Bear named Scar Face. 
    Soooo jealous!  I've photographed plenty of coyotes and black bear, but no wolves or grizzlies yet (I love living only 4 hours away from Yellowstone/Teton).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Botch said:
    ChuckR said:
    We got to see a wild wolf pack hunting and playing which was amazing and a monster Grizzly Bear named Scar Face. 
    Soooo jealous!  I've photographed plenty of coyotes and black bear, but no wolves or grizzlies yet (I love living only 4 hours away from Yellowstone/Teton).  
    Botch since you live so close just start looking for a room at Mammoth Hot Springs for a night or two. It is not that far from lamar valley and go at dusk and dawn. The wolves you will need a heavy duty lens but you will be able to find them. The park service goes out every night when they start moving and they show you were to look. It was amazing. They chased a prong horn, and they were howling back and forth. I am jealous. You are 4 hours from there and about the same to Moab, which is another one of my favorite places. 

Suwanee, GA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Guys, thanks for the tips.  We had a great trip.   Figured I'd follow up with some food feedback on things we tried;

First, I stopped at a steakhouse I'd liked in the past which is the one underneath the million dollar cowboy bar.  After ordering we found it has just changed owners.  As much as I know you often have to pay solidly for a good steak, I wasn't up for a $60 filet so I opted for the buffalo tri-tip which was just under $30.

I know tri-tip can be tough, but I also know we know how to make it great... thus I figured I high end steakhouse would as well.  I asked how I should best order it, she said MR, so I did.  Came out looking great but was the toughest piece of meat I've ever been served.  I ended up eating the outside of the meat but every piece I tried from the center was like chewing a car tire.  It would not yield to my bite.

Here's that cut;

We did order this fondue appetizer that was excellent, though;

We never made it to BUBBA's for lunch or dinner, but we went there for two breakfasts and it was awesome.  Service is fast, food is plentiful, and they keep your coffee mug full.  My kind of place;

Here is their huevos rancheros which was one of the best I've had.  That's green chili salsa, and there is also chorizo and the other beans and such you'd expect under there.

And then some breaksfast crostini poached egg thing which was also excellent. 

We headed over to Snake River Brewing a couple nights.  Great beer and most of the food.  

This is a chicken tortilla soup withe green salsa.  Great stuff and with good pulled chicken in there;

And I tried the flank steak as I had such a **** experience with the tri tip the other night.  Unfortunately, while this looked good with the chimmichurri and all.  Also very tough.  I make a much better flank on the egg! 

But, I have to say they remade it for me without me asking, it came out well done the second time, and was very good.   I would have been happy if they just threw these slabs back on the grill.  Again, I don't mind rare meat, but it's got to be tender.   Don't like a plate or red gum.

Went to a place called LOCALS on the square.  (despite the name, it is anything but a "locals" joint).  They serve a mean burger for a fair price.  I also tried the french onion soup which was nothing special.

Two of my favorites of the trip, like Bubba's, were totally casual places. 

First, we went to this hole in the wall burrito place called D.O.G.  Grab and go or call ahead for service.  Super to have a hearty breakfast burrito on your way up into the mountains.  DOG has a funny sticker for their business that reads; "Good Food, Great Price, Occasionally Friendly Service."  

NOW, the standout for me was this locals bar a five minutes south of town, in South Jackson.  If you appreciate a good burger and appreciate a pub that takes great care in delivering you a great burger, go to THE BIRD.   Their meat is ground fresh each day from rib eye.  When you order a 9 oz. burger they size it so that is the after cooking weight.  All the food is good.  Don't mess with the hot wings unless you REALLY like the heat.

Bird's Cabo Verde burger with cheese.  I think it had green salsa on here and guac.  It was the best burger I remember eating.  Service is friendly and the beer options are great!

Anyway, I hope I didn't overload everyone with pictures.  I wanted to come full circle to report back and offer some suggestions for the next egghead that travel to Jackson. 

Oh yeah, we went out there for the powder.  That was epic as well...

LBGE/Maryland
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @KiterToddGreat write up!!!  Thank you for taking the time. But I have no idea how you ate big breakfasts then skied hard. Give me a bowl of oatmeal that will stick to the ribs and I am good to go.

Now about that powder...  Damn...  And what a fantastic shot!  Props to the photographer!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Nice pow shot Kiter.

Best mountain in on the continent, without a doubt.
  • KiterTodd
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Sea2Ski thanks for the feedback.   I tend to eat a hardy breakfast, skip lunch (snack when I'm hungry), then move on to apres ski cocktails in the hot tub and a late dinner.   Seems to work for me.  :plus_one:

I used to enjoy a big blow of soup in a bread bowl mid-day, but I'd find the food coma I'd get after would ruin my afternoon of riding.

I also highly recommend the bloody marys at the Mangy Moose.  They come with candied bacon in them.  BACON!!

@Spaightlabs, you are not kidding!  I think next time I go I'll try to rent snowmobiles for a day.  I ran into many tourists and locals who claim the fresh powder shots in a sled all day rival their time on the ski slopes.

LBGE/Maryland