Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Know your cuts

OK this is kind of a spinoff and homage to @SGH post of ordering steaks out where they tried to pass off a strip steak as prime rib. Here's my story. A local market had rib eyes on sale. I went in and told the young man behind the counter would like to have a roast. He told me the roasts were not on sale just the steaks. I explained to him that roasts were always cheaper than steaks due to the fact that there was less labor and packaging involved. He still told me the roasts were not on sale. I asked if he cut the steaks on site and he said he did. Using my hands as a guide (showing him about a four bone roast)  I said go cut me a steak about this thick. He did!
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    It's the little things like this that put a smile on my face brother. Sadly most meat cutters (not real butchers) think that we are all stupid when it comes to meat. Unfortunately for them, some of us are not. Way to show them and beat them at their own game :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    That's a good one.  

I realize that's probably typical, but I've got to give a shout out to my local supermarket butcher.  He told me to stop buying hamburger, and that I should just ask him to grind up good quality cuts when on sale.  Better ground beef - less money - who am I to argue.

Phoenix 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Nailed it! Lol I bet that kid was thinking... That's one hell of a steak!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Way to stay the course-and +1 with@slovelad above.  I'm sure you are now famous in his circle of friends.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    blasting said:
    That's a good one.  

I realize that's probably typical, but I've got to give a shout out to my local supermarket butcher.  He told me to stop buying hamburger, and that I should just ask him to grind up good quality cuts when on sale.  Better ground beef - less money - who am I to argue.

Nice butcher you got there!  That's why I almost never buy ground pork or beef...  just buy what's on sale in bulk and grind my own, I control what goes in the ground and cheaper. It's also one of the reasons I can justify the chamber sealer, with bags that cost way less than Foodsaver type bags/rolls. 
    canuckland
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Good story. I'm an old butcher from the late 60's and I love going into stores and asking different meat questions and getting that deer in the headlight look from the young guys.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Love it ... I'll be chuckling about that all day.  I don't suffer fools with as much grace as you did ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Years ago we went to a Chili's in AZ with my Brit brother in law.  He wanted to get a nice bottle of wine.  So with his great accent asks for a bottle of whatever he saw in the 'by the glass' list.  Server says they don't have wine by the bottle.  Well, how does it get into the glass, asks my BIL.  Server says he thinks from a bottle.  BIL, well, bring me that!  Never did work out, accent or not.  Thick people.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    a little off topic but where can one find a good description of the different cuts? Is there a good book or website to use as a reference. Don't need to become a butcher but would like something more then the picture of a steer or pig that shows parts and cuts.
    Something that explains center cut, end cut, prime, select... etc etc.

Thanks

Cary NC
  • Jeepster47
    @jad ... here is a starting point for beef.  Video one of six: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K6Ji-vCdXc

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    there is no cure for stupid
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Thanks Jeepster47 I will be taking a look at those videos
    Cary NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have a friend with a trophy wife who is dumb as a box of rocks. Even he says beauty is fleeting and stupid is forever!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    jad said:
    a little off topic but where can one find a good description of the different cuts? Is there a good book or website to use as a reference. Don't need to become a butcher but would like something more then the picture of a steer or pig that shows parts and cuts.

Thanks

@jad I picked up this book for one reference. 

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeepster47
    @YEMTrey ... look up the Amazon reviews on this book.  Then look at the lone one point rating ... obviously written by a vegetarian.

• RRP
    @YEMTrey ... look up the Amazon reviews on this book.  Then look at the lone one point rating ... obviously written by a vegetarian.
    LOL- does look like ol' Nathan isn't a meat eater doesn't it? But did you also read responses to his review? I have never before heard "go suck on a brick of your ignorance."
  • Jeepster47
    @RRP ... no, I hadn't read the responses.  That is funny. 

PS ... there's a copy in the Peoria Public Library ... you can read it after I'm done with it.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    RRP said:
    I have a friend with a trophy wife who is dumb as a box of rocks. Even he says beauty is fleeting and stupid is forever!
    I ran into an old friend who had a new trophy wife. It was obvious it wasn't for first place!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    jad said:
    a little off topic but where can one find a good description of the different cuts? Is there a good book or website to use as a reference. 
    This is worthy of a look ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    td66snrf said:
    RRP said:
    I ran into an old friend who had a new trophy wife. It was obvious it wasn't for first place!
    LOL - not even 3rd runner up, huh?
  • RRP

RRP said:
    Actually after his up coming prostate surgery my bet is he will jettison her. She'll be fine financially as her father was an attorney and he insisted on a prenup with teeth in it. Like the old saying goes...screwin you get for the screwin you got... ;) 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    here's a good link with photos of the cuts
    http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/ab_cowc.html

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    SGH said:
    jad said:
    a little off topic but where can one find a good description of the different cuts? Is there a good book or website to use as a reference. 
    This is worthy of a look ;)

peta has the best meat charts =) traci hangs on my fridge for references
    http://www.peta.org/features/traci-bingham-naked-vegetarian-ad/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • try the calamari
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    YEMTrey said:
    jad said:

Thanks

@jad I picked up this book for one reference. 

Thanks for the reminder on that one, I just ordered it!
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Question:  I was looking at strip steaks in grocery store.  Some of them were notably darker red than the others.  In a good way, not bad meat.  All other things equal, is a darker steak going to be more flavorful than a paler one? 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • good story.  Will have to try that on our butcher next time ribeye steaks are on sale 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • > is a darker steak going to be more flavorful than a paler one? 

depends what 'dark' means, or why it is darker.

pretty much all grocery store beef is slaughtered very young.  older beef would be darker, but i doubt it is from an older animal. beef from a younger animal is paler, lighter.

it may be darker from being in the case longer.  it won't have any real noticeable difference in flavor, but it is in no way bad. aging will cause darkening, but usually the darker color in the store is from oxygen. it's not bad, just oxidized, browned a bit.

in fact, if there's a case full of bright red meat, and there's one with a "manager's special" sticker on it because it is a day before the sell-by date, then that's the one i pick.

it's aged longer than the others, at least, and usually cheaper.

all in all though, it's not like it is going to be vastly different.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]