Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven / crock pot dishes on The Egg - Tempering my expectations

Call me an inexperienced newbie (which I consider myself to be) although I am a huge fan of my 'new' Egg and have made many wonderful & savory meals on it since I first received it back in Sept of this year.

Can anyone enlighten me on what's the big deal with cooking meals prepared in a dutch oven (like Chili or whatnot) on The Egg?  Is there really that big/much of a difference between cooking it stove top?  Or is it more about the novelty of cooking anything/everything you can on the Egg?  The way I see it the smoke would rise up, around, and above the walls of the 'pan', and out the top, so does it really affect flavor/taste that much?  I really want to start trying some new dishes like these on the Egg and am considering getting myself a Lodge dutch oven but I just want to temper my expectations so that I'm not disappointed.

Also, when cooking things like Chili on the Egg, what (dome) temperature are you aiming for? I'd assume that anything over 212 would get you to boil, so is 225-250 about the range?

While we're at it, besides chili, what are some of your favorite dutch oven / crock pot dishes to make on your Egg?

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    It gives a smoky taste when baking with the Dutch oven lid open for part of the cook.  

When I make my brisket chili, I just cook the meat on the egg and then do the rest on a stove top.  Same with bratwurst cooked in beer, onion and water.  Sometime the smoke flavor can be too much if you let it soak deeply into your base liquid in an open pan on the egg.  

Try cooking a pot pot roast or chicken, with veggies in your Dutch oven.  You can also bake a quiche, or do a apple pie.   Then there is a Calizone, or lasagna. The options are endless. 
    Dave - Austin, TX

• Try cooking a pot pot roast or chicken, with veggies in your Dutch oven.  You can also bake a quiche, or do a apple pie.   Then there is a Calizone, or lasagna. The options are endless. 
    Thanks!
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)