Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Neither Snow nor Rain nor Heat nor Gloom of Night stays an Egg Table from its appointed Smokes

Options
News2u
News2u Posts: 335
edited January 2016 in EGG Table Forum
Promised periodic updates on how our teak table is holding up under the elements. Quite nicely we're happy to report. Here it is 6 months after applying a high-end, UV inhibiting varnish with an epoxy base coat:

It continues to endure whatever northeast Florida weather can throw at it -- from high heat and humidity to driving monsoons:
We try to keep her covered, but must confess it often goes days without any protection:It never complains no matter the climate or how early we come knocking. This was 4:25 am New Year's Eve at the beginning of an 11 hour cook:  
Nothing like the film noir moment of an early smoke. Begs the question, "How do like you like your briskets?"
"Like a ..."
 Anyone dare fill in the rest?
Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Six months and it still looks brand-new, excellent!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Very nice table.. It is worthy of being wheeled into the sitting room..  So you have some sort of a covering when using outside..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • News2u
    Options
    Stays under a patio umbrella. So whenever the cover's off that provides a some daily protection, but not much. It's really the finish doing all the work. Otherwise those laminated joints would have separated long time ago from the high humidity alone. I can point you to the YouTube video where I caught wind of the system...one that's used on the decks of sailboats. I was skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful table and view brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • News2u
    Options
    Footnote: The black vinyl place mats were cut from standard hallway runners, which I use during cooks to guard against scratches from utensils.
  • Jdecat99
    Options
    Looks really great! A+ Set up!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have the same cover for BGE on my table (not that I really need it on my table). I find that water permeates even after using thread sealers similar to what would be used on a tent. For the premium price BGE attaches to this cover I expected more as a consumer. Does yours leak?  Or is mine just a POS cover by chance?  Seriously considering returning for new if you tell me yours doesn't leak. Your table is holding up nicely considering our environment (like new from the pics). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • News2u
    Options
    The jury is still out on that. I think the cover may leak water, but it's not much. I think the umbrella is helping deflect a lot of the rain. But I'd be less than candid if I did say water seems to permeating the cover.
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    Thanks for this update. I have been toying with the idea of building a teak table to match our patio set. The only problem would be that we let the patio set go untreated and don't clean it so it has a nice weathered look to it. I'm just not sure I could let that happen to a table I build...
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Putterrr
    Options
    My Friend built a table out of pine. He stained it with oil but didn't put a varnish coat. After 2 years it is quite black from cooking and charcoal soot. Just saying

cheers
  • News2u
    Options

The fact of the matter is, in terms of finish, I backed myself into a corner. A hard, watertight finish was the only way to go to avoid shifting glue joints because of the type of teak I used. The species I bought, from a surplus batch at just $5 a board foot, was NOT a dense, super tight-grained teak, which can easily go for 5 times what I paid. As it turned out, the stuff I used was rather porous and brittle, as opposed to heavier, more exotic varieties of teak that are more oily and better suited than others for outdoor use. That denser stuff, as it ages, forms that grey patina you often see that is naturally resistant to the elements. So in trying to save money, the move cost me on the backend, cuz I had to go with some high-end, expensive finish material or kiss the effort goodbye. This is what the table looked like unfinished: 

Beautiful...but after about week in the open, hot, humid conditions here, not even an oil finish would have kept the joints from popping apart like nobody's business:

An oil finish would have looked great, IF the table were indoors. I really left myself no choice after going for the results I wanted...which was way more style than utility. So if you go teak, make sure you know what you're buying.

• HighSierraEgg
    Options
    I have the same cover for BGE on my table (not that I really need it on my table). I find that water permeates even after using thread sealers similar to what would be used on a tent. For the premium price BGE attaches to this cover I expected more as a consumer. Does yours leak?  Or is mine just a POS cover by chance?  Seriously considering returning for new if you tell me yours doesn't leak. Your table is holding up nicely considering our environment (like new from the pics). 
    Mine leaks which surprises me for what I paid for it.  I put an old waterproof firewood rack cover on mine then put the green egg cover over that.