Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For the Actuarials...years you have left...probably

Options
Braggart
Braggart Posts: 238
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
I was reading an interesting piece on what life was like 100 years ago, and stumbled across this life expectancy simulation.   

The simulation is geared towards what "range" you can expect to live beyond, based on average life expectancies in the US. 

Shame there isn't an input for barbecuing with good food and friends.   

Enjoy

http://flowingdata.com/2015/09/23/years-you-have-left-to-live-probably
Large BGE
MMax BGE
Weber gasser
3 Dogs
No neighbours 
Living in Canada's bush

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Interesting read!  The author touched on, but didn't fully spell out, a curious tidbit: 150 years ago the average lifespan in the US was only in the 30's, but if you removed all the "infant mortality" deaths (a term actually used by us Reliability Engineers), deaths between 0 and 5 years, then the average jumps up into the 50s.  Child health care and immunizations made all the difference.  

I also chuckled at the inclusion of getting our driver's license, and old enough to buy beer.   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Botch said:
    Interesting read!  The author touched on, but didn't fully spell out, a curious tidbit: 150 years ago the average lifespan in the US was only in the 30's, but if you removed all the "infant mortality" deaths (a term actually used by us Reliability Engineers), deaths between 0 and 5 years, then the average jumps up into the 50s.  Child health care and immunizations made all the difference.  

I also chuckled at the inclusion of getting our driver's license, and old enough to buy beer.   =)
    That is a very good point.  Shows how statistical information  can be misleading when one doesn't know all of the facts behind the statistical number.and while I am not a "Reliability Engineer", as an Electronics Engineer, I am well aware of the bathtub curve for failure rates.  Infant mortality vs. end of life.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.