Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For all you stir fry'ers out there... Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge by Grace Young is on sale

Options

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Do you have this book Cali?  I'm always looking for a fresh take on the wok.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have cooked some of her recipes form Breath of a Wok and liked them. I just ordered this book since the price dropped, so I haven't cooked anything from it yet. 

I highly recommend Fuchsia Dunlop's books if you like Chinese food (especially Sichaun). We keep a pretty well stocked Asian pantry, so most of the recipes are feasible. Her first book was Land of Plenty, and I don't think we have made anything out of it that wasn't terrific. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks Cali.   Another $20.00 gone to the forum. Lol

analyze adapt overcome

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have cooked some of her recipes form Breath of a Wok and liked them. I just ordered this book since the price dropped, so I haven't cooked anything from it yet. 

I highly recommend Fuchsia Dunlop's books if you like Chinese food (especially Sichaun). We keep a pretty well stocked Asian pantry, so most of the recipes are feasible. Her first book was Land of Plenty, and I don't think we have made anything out of it that wasn't terrific. 
    @Mattman3969
    Do you guys make your own sauces or do you purchase ready made from the Asian markets?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I generally will make my own and on occasion I will mix store bought to achieve the taste I'm after.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @caliking - look what just got left at my front door!!!   Lot of instructional reading.  Can't wait for the weekend to start the new wokking adventure 

thanks for the heads up!!

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - this forum + Amazon Prime= big hole in my wallet :)

I got my copy a couple of days ago. Its a nice read. Haven't tried any recipes yet. The recipes seem Cantonese style ( we prefer Sichuan), but I like that there are other types of Chinese recipes too. 

I'm almost certain you'll beat me to a first cook out of this book. Hope you enjoy it :)

@northGAcock - I make my own sauces too, but no harm in trying some ready made sauces to get your feet wet.

The base pastes (toban djian, fermented black bean, chili garlic, etc.) last a good while in the fridge and other stuff (light and dark soy, chin kiang vinegar, fish sauce, etc.) are available at most Asian markets. The sauces come together pretty easily if you have the ingredients at hand. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @caliking  thanks.....I am awaiting the Mini Max Woo modification for the new MiniMax. Once I get that and the wok.....I am looking forward to getting started. Is there a good cookbook or resource for the sauce recipes that you or @Mattman3969  might recommend I start with?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I'm goin to send you to the same place @caliking sent me.  Good cooks 

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/Stir-frying/52366.aspx

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    Options
    @caliking  thanks.....I am awaiting the Mini Max Woo modification for the new MiniMax. Once I get that and the wok.....I am looking forward to getting started. Is there a good cookbook or resource for the sauce recipes that you or @Mattman3969  might recommend I start with?
    Many folks on here liked Grace Young's first book Breath of a Wok. I can't recommend Fuchsia Dunlop's books (Land of Plenty was the first) highly enough. 

• caliking
    Options
    I'm goin to send you to the same place @caliking sent me.  Good cooks 

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/Stir-frying/52366.aspx
    Stupid me - I forgot about that link. And its free!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Got my copy yesterday too.  I was supposed to stop buying cookbooks; losing weight is easier.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I just ordered it.  I'm looking at getting a propane turkey fryer to wok on.  Never worked before so this should be fun.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I need to get a smaller wok. One that can fit on my mini. The one for my large is great just so big. Thanks for the reminder. Need to break out the spider and wok
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I've had that one for awhile and it is excellent. Grace Young also offers a Craftsy class that is excellent. http://www.craftsy.com/classes/food-and-cooking?_ct=sbqiiui-cuwqsqjuweho-ikr-dql-byda&_ctp=Cake+%26+Cooking,food-and-cooking I got it on sale and I can't see how much they're charging for it now since I am already enrolled. I got my woks from The Wok Shop, but haven't seasoned them yet since I realized that I don't have anywhere to store them inside yet. About the same time, I hit my electric wok with an IR gun and discovered that it hits 550 degrees in about 2 minutes. Still need to find a place for the big woks inside.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I just ordered it.  I'm looking at getting a propane turkey fryer to wok on.  Never worked before so this should be fun.
    I picked up a turkey fryer after thanksgiving that I'm going to use.  Also just picked up a nice hand hammered carbon steel wok.  I feel i've mastered grilling...time to master something else. ha
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7